√ Feature Request: Annotate PDF and images

MikeSisMe

Idea

Hi,

I've been using Evernote on a MAC and iOS device but recently started using it on Android with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet.  I'd like to be able to annotate PDFs and images that are in Evernote using the Galaxy's S-Pen.  I see that Skitch seemed to be the way to do this before, but it's being end-of-lifed.  

How is this done now?

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Mike

28 replies to this idea

Hi Mike,

Skitch will still work and sync up to Evernote like gazumped said and accomplish what you are needing for the time being. You should still be able to access the Skitch application if you had previously downloaded it by going to your "My apps & games" tab in the Google Play Store and going to the "All" section. Other alternatives include Ashampoo SnapNimbus Clipper, and Screenshot Capture to name a few. All of the mentioned items can be found in the Google Play Store.

On 10/24/2016 at 1:25 AM, DTLow said:

Which version of Evernote are you using

I am very pleased to see that this annotation is back, skitch functionality is now baked right into Evernote!! I used it to annotate the attachment, open in Evernote would be a great way to promote using Evernote + the Annotate function.

Picture.png

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

Is this feature still not available for Android?  

Which version of Evernote are you using

On 2016-05-04 at 0:44 PM, Justin Street said:

Hi there. Our latest Android release, 7.8, has brought back annotation functionality for images and PDFs. The release has been slowly rolling out over the past week and will be available to all soon. 

I have convinced a friend with a Galaxy S7 to sign up for Evernote and I have been walking her and her husband through many of the everyday features and purposes I use it for. Regretfully I have been unable to annotate images on her basic version of the app. Is this feature still not available for Android?  

• Level 5*
On 27/08/2016 at 9:56 PM, mrdrewboggess said:

I have been trying to use the built-in PDF annotating, but if the file is more than a page or two long, the entire thing stutters and lags. 

Hi.  What device are you using?

As others have said, I don't understand why this even needs to be voted on.  I would imagine this is already being worked on, and probably should have been completed prior to retiring skitch.

Also is this the best means of voting for changes aside from facebook?  How can a non facebook user directly express their support/vote for certain features?

Thank you.

I use evernote every day for my business and the ability to mark up images is huge for me. Recently purchased an android and now it's gone. Makes no sense to me. Android is such a huge market. I guess evernote had to downsize and get rid of a few things but at least allow this feature to be baked in on androids as well. 

Not happy with this. I even pay for evernote business. I may have to look elsewhere if there is no future in this. My 2 cents

I´m very happy, that more people have this problem and bring it up here. I´m really desperate right now...

Just bought a new tablet, an android. Beforehand I had an iPad and I could make annotations easily. But now...? No chance... :( 

It´s also not possible to read and see the content of PDF´s inside Evernote. There´s just a sign that an attached file is saved... For seeing the content it´s always an 3rd party app needed. Not practical. I want to use Evernote in university, what means:

1. Download PDF readings which I have to read at home or university and import it to Evernote.
  2. Read and annotate it IN Evernote with a stylus (handwritten, like on paper).
  3. In some lectures I´d love to have an opportunity to make a audio recording parallel - while annotate things or make notes with the stylus.

Maybe this is possible soon with android? Otherwise I (unfortunately) have to change my system and look for another app, what I definitely would NOT prefer. I love the idea of Evernote.

I hope my English is ok... 

Bye, Svenja

I can't imagine why Android support for the PDF annotation feature requires votes from users to convince the Evernote Dev team and that it's important mobile users - of which the vast majority are on Android devices... With that said count me in for an emphatic yeah vote.

Michael

Hi, I also have a Samsung note tablet and I just installed Xodo, it's free and lets you annotate PDF's with the S-pen or the keyboard. It works great.

Just add the pdf to Evernote and open It from within Evernote in Xodo. From Xodo you can go back to Evernote. Works just like the Evernote pdf function. 

And is quick and easy to use during meetings. 

Hello,

I agree too, using a third party tool to annotate PDF is not realy smooth. I would like to be able to annotate with the same tool on my computer and on Android. Evernote is good for that for notes, but will be better with pdf annotation support.

Kind regards,

Simon

Yes, this is exactly the functionality I'm looking for.  Being able to markup PDF's and images from WITHIN Evernote on Android without the need for a 3rd party app.  It really just needs to be on feature parity with the iOS version in this regard.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  In the iOS version you can edit directly a PDF (without Skitch installed) with pointers and stickers and those edits are saved back directly into the document.  This looks like the skitch technology is baked into the core Evernote app which I agree with...is this planned for Android version?

Hi Mike,

While the third-part applications are alternatives, I can see what you mean by those added steps of having to add it back into Evernote. The less steps the better, right.

I will be bringing this up in our next meeting and I will keep you posted.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the response.  I only recently got the Android table and therefore never downloaded Skitch, which is no longer available.  So that isn't an option for me.  I tried the other 3 apps you mentioned but found they all had the same limitation.  That being that they are unable to modify a PDF or image that lives in Evernote.  What I want to do is:

1) Open a note in Evernote

2) Edit the image with some 3rd party editor

3) Any edits should be saved back into the original Evernote note

However all 3 of these apps require the following:

1) Open the note in Evernote

2) Edit the image with some 3rd party editor

3) Save the modified image to local/remote storage (outside of Evernote)

4) Go back into Evernote and manually delete the original image

5) Find, open and add the modified image from local/remote storage back into the original Evernote note

To be honest this is so clunky and time consuming that it's not a viable option for me.  Any other thoughts on how to do this?  I sure would love to see Evernote itself handle this without the need for a 3rd party app.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike

Thanks for the reply.  Given that Skitch is no longer available in the Google Play store, are there any other solutions that anyone would recommend. I'd like to be able to markup PDF's and Images using the S-Pen and have that saved in the same Evernote note.

As a side note, this seems to functionality that exists in Evernote on other platforms, does anyone know if the upcoming Evernote Android Beta supports this?

Thanks,

Mike

• Level 5*

Skitch will continue to work for the time being,  and there are other annotation tools that will work on different platforms - have a look around to find options;  there appears to be no immediate hurry...

Archived