Offline voice notes or recordings

• Level 5*

Hi.  Mobile phones use compressed formats to record audio,  so yes they are stored locally (if offline searchable),  and they do take up storage space.  Whether that's 'a lot' depends on how much free space you have at any time.

• Level 5*

If you want to have more control over the process,  see the file size and optionally play back without first opening Evernote,  your best bet is to find some third-party audio recording software you can use.  Record to MP3,  which is a compressed format,  and attach an output file to a note.  It will become part of your Evernote database and can be retrieved and played anywhere.  The audio software will usually also show you the file size.  You'll typically also have much more control over recording and playback and sound quality,  be able to edit recordings if necessary - and you'll be able to use Evernote for other things while recording.

Thanks for your help gazumped. Is there an Evernote employee who answers questions on here?  I can't believe i'm paying for a "Plus" plan and getting zero support from Evernote!

Support:

Where can we see how much space is being taken up on mobile?

Is there a way to see where the file is stored and can it be played without using evernote? (Same question for Mac?)

gazumped:

What third party audio recording would you recommend? I find Quicktime creates files that are too large.

Are you saying that I cannot use Evernote to record in one note and write in another note?

Thanks

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Lance001 said:

Is there an Evernote employee who answers questions on here?  I can't believe i'm paying for a "Plus" plan and getting zero support from Evernote!

You're posting this in a community forum.  
I do see Evernote employees here, but I'd think you'd do better submitting a support ticket.

>>Where can we see how much space is being taken up on mobile?

On my iPad I would go the the general settings. 
I'm not sure how accurate the reading is for Evernote because they make use of the system cache

>>Is there a way to see where the file is stored and can it be played without using evernote? (Same question for Mac?)

It might be possible, but I'd think you'd be better to move the attachment outside of Evernote.

• Level 5*

@Lance001 - you're paying for higher limits and for email support which means choosing the appropriate option in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

This is a 'user forum' -pretty much a self-help group- and while Evernote employees do lean in and deal with some queries occasionally,  we're an additional alternative to the Support pages which are available in the Help Center linked in my signature,  and from Evernote.com.

If you want to check out space use on your devices,  that's not an Evernote feature.  You need to use the operating system and/ or third party file explorers to manage your installed apps.  I'm not an iOS or Mac user,  so can't help you there.

There are dozens of audio recording apps out there - I use something called Voice Recorder for Android because it does exactly what is says on the can and outputs MP3 files which are cross platform and quite small.

I've not tried to multi-task within Evernote,  but there have been reports that recording stops when your device 'sleeps',  so you can't just leave the app running to record a long lecture.  The easiest way to check whether or not it suits your individual needs is to do some test recordings and see what happens.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, Lance001 said:

Are you saying that I cannot use Evernote to record in one note and write in another note?

I can do this on my Mac.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your help.  I think Evernote should at least offer email or forum help for paying users regardless if it's their top tier plan, I have never heard of any company that doesn't provide human support for customers who pay for their product. Ridiculous!

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Lance001 said:

I have never heard of any company that doesn't provide human support for customers who pay for their product. Ridiculous!

Did you not take note of the suggestions to open a support ticket?

Archived