Change Outline Formatting?

Kaari@chegg.com

Idea

I'd like to use Evernote to create a typical Outline (used for writing papers etc.)  In "real world" outlining I'm used to using a combination of numbers and letters. For example, a subset of #1 would be "a". Is it possible to do this using Evernote? Based on what I know, it seems like you can only either use bullets or numbers.

• Like 1

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  That's not a task Evernote would be good for at present.  It's not good at number-and-letter hierarchies,  just bullets and numbers - and it's only just getting better at them. 

There are lots of good outliner packages out there,  and if you create your outline in one of them and save the output file,  you could attach it to an Evernote note so it can be opened everywhere you have the software to do so.  This seems like a 'nice to have' but I'd rather Evernote expanded existing features and fixed all known bugs before adding more complexity to the package.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Kaari@chegg.com said:

I'd like to use Evernote to create a typical Outline (used for writing papers etc.)  

That's a feature that I use quite often, however I'm resigned that it's not an Evernote feature,

I can simulate an Outline with bullets/number lists and links to sub-documents, or I go to a dedicated word processing app.

• Like 1

This would be an great improvement.  It seems like a pretty basic one at that given all the other things Evernote can do this shouldn't be a big ask.  Shame that it's been almost a year and not feedback from Evernote on this.

• Level 5*
On 1/20/2018 at 9:40 PM, BNoted said:

this shouldn't be a big ask

Hi.  It isn't especially difficult to do,  but even though the first post in this thread was actually 2 years ago,  it has a massive 2 votes.  (There are other threads around on the same topic though.)  Given the apparent lack of interest,  why should Evernote spend resources on this,  as against the requests that have 100+ votes?

- And Evernote never (usually) comment on feature requests.

• Level 5

Thanks for the hint.

Practically all mindmappers offer the view of the mindmap as an outline - or of an outline as a mindmap. The mindmap in its pure form is nothing else than an outline, but much better because it works visually, not through a text that you need to analyze.

Depending on how much you want to use mindmapping, a free app could do, or a paid one. Prices are partially amazing for similar functionality, so better check before falling in love.