Sharing, Emailing and Compatibility with other major iOS apps

Hi

I am struggling immensely in sharing / moving notes content across apps. While Evernote is a fantastic tool, this is the one reason why I would switch to even the native iOS app. The work chat focus / function has completely distorted this. I don't use work chat, I don't ever want to use work chat. I want to be able to communicate contents of my notes with people outside the evernote community or with an app that isn;t evernote!

1. I would like to be able to share notes (or even just the content of the note) from my native email programme primarily so I can email using my email id.

2. I'd like be able share notes content to other mainstream apps like Pages or Word. Evernote is invariable one step in my workflow and I need to be able to move around created / copied content.

Any advice will be helpful. If this is better placed within a feature request please let me know what I need to do.  

• Level 5*

Hi.  This help page covers sending by email - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313328 - does that process cover your basic objection to Chat?  The question of sending from your own email client rather than via Evernote is a whole other bag of worms - I don't have that issue very often,  but if volumes are small you could send the initial email to yourself and then edit and forward the email from your own email address.

Longer term I'm sure Evernote will improve email sending,  but they have no incentive AFAICS to develop a whole new area of expertise and include an Outlook clone (or at least the email bit) into Evernote.

Edit:  ...and on your second point...  Share on mobiles and Cut/ Paste on desktops would be the primary way to move content between apps.  It's possible in some cases to export to HTML and import elsewhere,  or to print to PDF and include the file in another application,  or open it there;  but the method would have to be appropriate to the app,  and maybe the content,  involved.

• Level 5*
On January 18, 2016 at 2:30 AM, RT221 said:

The work chat focus / function has completely distorted this. I don't use work chat, I don't ever want to use work chat.

There are various features I don't use in EN. Its ok not to use them.  ?
In IOS, you can even turn off the chat features on the home screen; Its a preference setting.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Share on mobiles and Cut/ Paste on desktops would be the primary way to move content between apps.

That used to be the case, and may still be for Windows users.  But iOS users, and now Mac users, can share contents between apps via the Share button.  In essence, it is an automated copy/paste.  It takes the contents of the source app and opens the destination app with those contents.  While Evernote has implemented the receiving of a share from another app, I don't think they have fully implemented sharing a Note with other apps yet.

Still, backend integration is EN's weakest point.  That and data manipulation and visualization tools.  We got tags and a top drawer search, but that's really it, isn't it?  

Almost every 3rd party app is about getting information into EN.  But organizing notes from large complex research & writing projects inside of EN is still noticeably primative, particularly when you're playing with ideas or trying to see where you still have holes to fill or where you have two or three quotes on the same topic that you haven't decided on yet and you want to "pin" all three to a place in your manuscript until you decide.  It's just difficult to see what you've got with EN, except one card at a time. 

Scrivener is still my production tool of choice: cork boarding, storyboarding, live outlining, chapters and research, etc. You can get material into Scrivener from EN, but then your records in Scrivener are "dead."   If you tag or annotate or make a note, it's not going to update your EN files.  And if you add new material in EN to that project notebook, it won't flow to Scrivener (or any other program that I know of). 

I understand EN's penchant for data integrity, indeed that's job one.  And I understand their reluctance to let people into the backend.  But if that's the case, they really need to work a lot harder at developing native data manipulation tools, particularly visualization tools.  So far EN is like a flood control project.  All the effort has been put in channeling the information into one big lake.  But under the dam, there's still only one little outflow.  

I keep imagining even simple interfaces like a split-screen mode with your work on one side and your selected (tagged, stacked, or NB) notes on the other that you can rifle through or search and then drag the whole card into your writing as a place holder without the card grabbing the focus for entire process. 

I think I get along famously with tags.  I use a catch, tag & release, re-catch again and retag system.  Each new reuse earns a note a new tag for that project so I can pull together and recreate all the old projects by tag (is there a limit to the number of tags a not can carry? I hope not).  So I think I've taken advantage of the few data manipulation tools EN provides.  

• Level 5*
On January 20, 2016 at 5:27 AM, rhkennerly said:

But organizing notes from large complex research & writing projects inside of EN is still noticeably primative, particularly when you're playing with ideas or trying to see where you still have holes to fill or where you have two or three quotes on the same topic that you haven't decided on yet and you want to "pin" all three to a place in your manuscript until you decide.  It's just difficult to see what you've got with EN, except one card at a time. 

Not sure exactly how you want to see your information.

This is my view setting with the sidebar, note list on the top, and the note I'm working on at the bottom.
For a project, I would be seeing all my project related notes (identified by tag) in the note list
And I can look at my master project note in which I've inserted links to the sub-notes.  Using the links, I can go back and forward

56a0ec10e24cd_ScreenShot2016-01-21at5.43

Thanks for the idea.  That probably works okay for casual writing.  

But your average Master's Thesis juggles (according to MLA) 800 notes and 200 bibliographic references.  Major research projects even more.  

My current manuscript has over 1k notes.  Not nearly all are going to make it in, but need to be available to drag in whole, as just the card, as a reference marker or copied into the text as a quotation.  

But mostly I was thinking about the pre-writing phase where you're storyboarding or cork boarding to put the narrative into proper order.  

All the tools for EN are for getting information into EN.  But there's really only one way to get information out: one note at a time.  Some creative thought and effort needs to be put into working with and organizing your data.  To DO something creative with this lake of information I've collected. To help you see patterns in your data.  

All the low-hanging fruit in EN development was picked several years ago, all are themes on the original API.  Notetaking apps, schedulers, calendars, vox & pix, handwriting, gps.  All the emphasis in the 3rd party is on prettier colors or snappier UI.  

It just seems to me that EN has peaked, if it's not going to tackle data manipulation.

Archived