Red caution over Sync icon

Running Windows 7 and Firefox. For over 24 hours there has been a round red "disc" with an exclamation point over the sync icon. Have forced syncing and received message that it is complete. What does it mean? Can't find any reference to that on forum. red-sign-computer-icon-symbol-cartoon-siThanks

• Level 5*

Try holding the Ctrl key when you hit the sync button.  You may get a list of note(s) that won't sync.  If you don't I would submit a bug report.  If you do, fix those notes and the error should go away.

Bingo! Found the unsyncable note and deleted. Looks like you are my personal guru for Evernote. Many thanks .Hopefully I can remember this if I experience it again. If not, guess it will be available in this forum and I will find it.

• 2 months later...

I have this same issue, but I have found the note and it just won't delete.  No errors when I try to delete, the message just won't go away.  Any ideas how I can get rid of this message?

Thanks
Michael

csihilling GREAT TRICK.  I had tried pretty much everything else.  It merged fine, but then took forever to empty the track, but it did eventually empty and now I have a clean sync.
Thank for the help.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

A little confused though, the message above is for a search returns no results, nothing to do with syncing.  I would make sure you have an internet connection.  If you do have internet I would File - Exit to shut down EN and then log back in and try to sync again.

I was following the flow of the conversation. 

Here is the issue. I have a Red caution over Sync icon.  Please see screenshot below.  Yes, I do have internet connection.  I also tried the "Ctrl key when you hit the sync button." I have also logged out and logged back in.  I have cleaned files, I even used CC Cleaner just in case...but my files still do not sync.  Any other suggestions so I can get my files to sync again?

Thanks

sync.png

• Level 5*

Well, you should get a list of the problem note(s) if you go to All Notes and hold the Ctrl key while pressing sync.  If you don't get any notes (and my apologies, you do get the clip above if there are no notes after pressing Ctrl-Sync), I don't know what the issue may be and would suggest a trouble ticket.  

Before the trouble ticket you can log into the web version to verify whether your most recent changes have synced or not.  Last thing to try before a trouble ticket would be to do an uninstall and then reinstall of EN.

Yeah, I tried that too.  The last sync was after I imported the second file to my Stack.  I am on import number 7 to give you a better idea, so it has not been syncing almost since I created the stack.  Where do I submit the trouble ticket?

Thanks

Nop, nada, zilch, nothing.  I read in a few forums that the best way to correct this issue is to uninstall and reinstall the program...If I were to uninstall without syncing first...would I lose all my work that has not synced?

Thanks

• Level 5*

You should not lose any data if you do an uninstall/reinstall, use revo uninstaller for best results.  It is always good though to make a backup copy of your .EXB file beforehand.

• Level 5*
On 1/15/2016 at 4:49 PM, csihilling said:

Try holding the Ctrl key when you hit the sync button.  You may get a list of note(s) that won't sync.  If you don't I would submit a bug report.  If you do, fix those notes and the error should go away.

This is a great tip, of course, but ultimately, this function (finding the notes that have problems) should not be only available via a hidden, hard-to-discover operation. It should be a part of the UI, maybe a toolbar tool that appears if there is  a sync problem.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, bmccambley said:

I can't even seem to find the sync icon.  Working with several others on one note and they I can't seem to be able to sync with the others

The Sync icon we're talking about here is available on the toolbar of the Evernote for Windows desktop client. If you can't see it there, then you can add it by right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting "Customize Toolbar...". The Sync button syncs all notes; though Evernote syncs all notes on its own without needing to use the Sync button. It sounds like you might be having some other problem than the topic here. If you want help with that, you should be more specific about what you are trying to do and how you're trying to do it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

cshiling, you are not just a guru, but a god to me !!!!
I had started to accept that I have to live with this issue (ugly red exclamation mark in the syn arrows), as none of any pointers I had received worked.
I would have wished to find this page earlier (and believe me, I googled a lot about this problem ... in the past ...).
Even the evernote helpdesk advice did not work.
And to be frank, seeing how easily this problem can be solved, makes me almost sick considering what I tried and the time I spent on trying to ...

Dear all, 

just to complement what cshiling pointed out in form of a recipe that worked for me (evernote user on Windows with no admin rights, evernote Premium).

1. hold CTRL key while hitting the sync button --> a list of "conflicting" notes appears in the folder list. If your view is not configured to show the folder list, hit F11 and start again
    --> in my case (luckily 2 conflicting notes magically appeared !!)
  2. hit the erase button of one the conflicting note     or    move the note to another notebook (if erase does not work)
  3. create a new note                                              -->   the "conflicting" notes disappeared and the new note showed up in the folder
  4. delete the new note & go to the thrash folder, merge the new note and the conflicting note
    or (if you could move the conflicting note): go to the target folder and merge the note there
  5. dependent on the utility of the previously 'conflicting" note information: either delete the merged note or edit and use to your further liking
  6. repeat 1 through 5 for each "conflicting note" (I hope you have a manageable number)
  7. celebrate: the next sync (either triggered by hitting sync button or wait for the automatic synchronisation) removes the exclamation mark!

Good luck to all!
Rainer

Archived