Jump to content
AllenS

Printing into Evernote

Recommended Posts

I've been trying out Evernote and Onenote. 

One feature I like in Onenote is that it sets a printdriver which allows me to print a document directly into Onenote. Does Evernote have such a driver available?

Right now I'm printing to PDF, then copying it into an appropriate Evernote file... it works, but eliminating a step would work even better. My workflow with Onenote is to print the document to a physical printer for distribution, then, by just changing the 'printer' I can print directly into an Onenote appropriate folder.

Allen

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On the Mac, when printing, there is a PDF option list, with Evernote as one of the options5697efdf28ddf_ScreenShot2016-01-14at10.5

Share this post


Link to post

On Windows you can print to PDF to a designated folder which EN will then automatically import into a designated notebook.  See Tools - Import folders.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have windows... so this is worth looking at. 

The difference would be that in Onenote, I print, then decide where it is to go, regardless of placement of a file on my computer.

With this, in Evernote, I print, but it has to be to an 'authorized folder' on my computer, chosen ahead of time and registered in Evernote, then it gets sent to my default folder for later re-filing? If I understand correctly, it is still not as smooth as in Onenote, in which I can print in WordPerfect straight to Onenote without having to convert to PDF. 

I need to play with this, I may be making it seem harder than it is.

Thank you for your response!!

Share this post


Link to post

You are welcome.  You do understand it correctly.  You can set the import notebook as your default notebook if you like, but if not, you do have to move the note later.  Note that you can have multiple import folders all with their own designated notebook.

To just move the text you could do a copy/paste, or better yet, save the document as an RTF or  text file to the import folder.  So yes, it may not be as convenient as it appears Onenote is for you.

But you can give it a spin and see how it feels.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, AllenS said:

I have windows... so this is worth looking at. 

The difference would be that in Onenote, I print, then decide where it is to go, regardless of placement of a file on my computer.

With this, in Evernote, I print, but it has to be to an 'authorized folder' on my computer, chosen ahead of time and registered in Evernote, then it gets sent to my default folder for later re-filing? If I understand correctly, it is still not as smooth as in Onenote, in which I can print in WordPerfect straight to Onenote without having to convert to PDF. 

I need to play with this, I may be making it seem harder than it is.

Thank you for your response!!

Yes and no. The import folder will go to whatever notebook you set up. BUT you can have multiple notebooks. I have several import folders for the notebooks I most use. You'll also want to decide if you want Evernote to delete the PDF file in the folder once it imports it. 

Share this post


Link to post

I too have been trying to figure out how to print into Evernote using Windows.  The easiest solution I found is to simply use the "clip screenshot" feature of the icon in the system tray.  I can pretty quickly clip a print preview or actual document image which goes into EN where I can then tag or file.  It's not a PDF but is still a searchable image.

Share this post


Link to post

randial,

I usually have 4-5 pages (sometimes much longer) to 'print' -- so screenshots are a bit cumbersome. 

Share this post


Link to post

This is exactly the feature I was looking for and hoping for. My whole objective is to have all documents in evernote, even auto  uploading is nice, but still not as seamless as todays environment of progression we have come to need.

Please evernote, implement this feature for the goodness of not being OneNote.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been using Evernote for years. mostly on the Mac and on Android. I recently started using OneNote at work because Evernote was not available.

I was very impressed; the user interface on the Windows version of OneNote is superb, even Mac-like.

So I tried using OneNote on my Mac and Android phone for a couple of weeks.


I gave it up and reverted to Evernote because

  1. The user interface on the Mac, while more visual than Evernote, is not sufficiently better.
  2. The Android versions of both of them are adequate, but not great.

But my real point is that the tighter integration of OneNote with Windows, i.e. the OneNote printer driver, is a significant game-changer. Being able to easily store anything into a note-taking app is a real boon at work.

I hope Evernote implements something like that in its products. Printing to PDF is, in my humble opinion, just a poor workaround.

By the way, OneNote for Mac does not have a printer driver either, though I think you can drag-and-drop PDF files into it.

I have lots of opinions about the difference between the two, but I'll stop here.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I think that we need to run this topic once again.

Have anyone found the way to install printer, to export directly to Evernote?

Is there any way to install Print to Evernote:huh:

Maybe someone here found the workaround or a printer driver created for that - on the Internet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, kpr2877 said:

I think that we need to run this topic once again.

Have anyone found the way to install printer, to export directly to Evernote?

Is there any way to install Print to Evernote:huh:

Maybe someone here found the workaround or a printer driver created for that - on the Internet?

 

I think this would be very device dependent - what platforms do you use?

On my Mac, I can print to pdf, and have the pdf file created in my Import Folder

Share this post


Link to post

I was able to get "Print to Evernote" working on macOS 10.12.5, EN 6.11

  • (from the browser or wherever) "Print"   (If in Chrome, "Print Using System Dialog")
  • Tap "PDF" in the bottom left corner
  • (assuming "Evernote" isn't on the menu) "Edit Menu..."
  • Tap the + sign
  • Select the "Evernote" application from the Applications folder
  • "OK"
  • Now select "Evernote" from the "PDF" drop down menu

Voila! Now you can print directly into Evernote. Or at least it works for me...

-- Ken Chin-Purcell

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/1/2017 at 10:45 AM, Ken Purcell said:

I was able to get "Print to Evernote" working on macOS 10.12.5, EN 6.11

  • (from the browser or wherever) "Print"   (If in Chrome, "Print Using System Dialog")
  • Tap "PDF" in the bottom left corner
  • (assuming "Evernote" isn't on the menu) "Edit Menu..."
  • Tap the + sign
  • Select the "Evernote" application from the Applications folder
  • "OK"
  • Now select "Evernote" from the "PDF" drop down menu

Voila! Now you can print directly into Evernote. Or at least it works for me...

-- Ken Chin-Purcell

 

Thanks, Ken. I used to have this capability but it disappeared after some update or another. This put it back very easily and it works great!

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/26/2017 at 6:23 AM, kpr2877 said:

I think that we need to run this topic once again.

Have anyone found the way to install printer, to export directly to Evernote?

Is there any way to install Print to Evernote:huh:

Maybe someone here found the workaround or a printer driver created for that - on the Internet?

 

I would also appreciate a way to set up an "Evernote virtual printer" on my Mac, so that I can print a PDF from any application (not just a browser) and send the file straight to Evernote.  Up to now,  I have achieved this in four rather frustrating steps on my Mac:-

  1. Print to PDF
  2. Specify a target folder
  3. Open Finder and open the folder I saved to
  4. Drag the PDF file into Evernote.

This seems cumbersome.

I have now realised I can reduce this to two steps by using the PDF pull down button on the printer interface window.  For anyone else who is interested, the following video shows how you can set this up.

This is still not the ideal virtual Evernote printer, but it is an improvement on what I was doing before.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...