Add tags from iOS share

emersonthis

Idea

I REALLY want to be able to add tags to new notes when I save them from my phone. Currently I can only assign them to a notebook... But this isn't very helpful because my notebooks are big and untagged notes are like needles in the haystack. Not being able to tag notes as I create them makes the app almost useless for me because the main thing I do on my phone is save links from emails, Twitter, etc and I can't effectively do that without tags.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Nothing useful to contribute here really,  but in respect of -

On 6/28/2017 at 8:27 PM, pigletbunny said:

I type at the end of the Note Title the words that I'd love to add as tags. This is vastly less preferable to being able to add tags, because when I later search in the Evernote app for one of those words, the results contain every single note which just happens to contain that word

You could use an intitle:<keyword> search to limit your hits to those notes with that keyword in the title,  and/ or in every case where you add keywords to the title,  add a unique identifier "syzygy" or some such - a word that you wouldn't expect to find anywhere else - and do a search for that:  it will automatically turn up all notes with new tags...

• Level 5*
On January 13, 2016 at 4:28 PM, emersonthis said:

I REALLY want to be able to add tags to new notes when I save them from my phone. Currently I can only assign them to a notebook...

I use a default notebook @Inbox as my default notebook. I then process the notes and assign notebook and tags.  I could do this right away, but I usually do it later.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, DSM said:

Can someone explain "share sheet"?

The discussion is about creating quick notes with the Evernote widget on the Notification screen.  More details are Discussed here

The share sheets are used to pass data between applications. For example clipping web pages to Evernote.  
More details are Discussed here
Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 10.26.50 PM.png

This has now been implemented in iOS. The Evernote iOS share sheet now has a field for selecting tags - and is in fact FASTER for selecting tags than the method implemented in the main iOS app. :)

(NB: This is in fact the 'Share sheet' which in this iOS Safari example is activated by clicking the share icon (box with arrow) then the Evernote icon. The iOS Evernote widget in the notification screen does not itself allow adding or editing notes - these actions are just bumped to the main iOS app.)

IMG_0255.PNG

AMEN kriskhaira!!!

Often, when sharing to Evernote from Safari or Chrome (iPhone, iOS 10), I realize that I VERY MUCH need a tag which I didn't previously think of adding (therefore, I didn't add the tag earlier, in the Evernote app).

My not-great workaround has been:

before I tell Evernote to complete the Clip action, I type at the end of the Note Title the words that I'd love to add as tags. This is vastly less preferable to being able to add tags, because when I later search in the Evernote app for one of those words, the results contain every single note which just happens to contain that word (and yes, this happens when I limit my search to within only 1 notebook).

I was an extremely early adopter of Evernote's software (basically, when it first launched), and have been very happy to experience its transition from a rather confusing and limited desktop interface to an intuitive, multi-platform essential tool :-) Now if Evernote could just add the ability to create a new tag from within its share/clipper... ;-)

• Like 1

As Pocket has the option to create new tags in the Share Sheet, you can use IFTTT to connect Pocket and Evernote. In IFTTT Add an ingredient that listens for every new note in Pocket and puts it in Evernote Notebook you specify. It also writes "real" tags along with the note.

image.thumb.png.d58c3a3f5e558936dd4c74a7dd31872c.png

It does not appear instantly in Evernote Notebook but it will appear in a matter of seconds. Also, downside is that this can save links or articles as it doesn't allow you to write anything from the share sheet. Also, it doesn't save the whole article but only the excerpt. It includes the link to the website from wich you have saved the file whic is not the best option as the website could be deleted and then you wouldn't have the data anymore. 

Anyway, for some cases, it can be good solution for adding quickly adding new tags from the share sheet. 

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I would love to see the ability to set a default tag for the share sheet similar to web clipper for browser. We can set the default tag in evernote settings or somewhere, and when sharing to evernote using share sheet, use that as default tag automatically without having to select one every time. I always share to my @Inbox notebook and always add an "unread" tag unless i read through the whole article before saving. That way i have a saved search for everything with the "unread" tag