Merge notes on web

zazz6000

Idea

Hi there, 

I am using Evernote on the web through Chrome. I cannot merge any of my notes for whatever reason with the Ctrl+click technique...  I used that technique a lot (I know how to do it), but it for whatever reason stopped working for me. When I hold Ctrl, it does not even register and instead just changes between my notes as I click on them. My Chrome browser is up to date which was the most troubleshooting I came up with for a feature that always used to work for me up until recently. . 

Is there a function on my keyboard aside from Ctrl that should also be used? A setting in Evernote that may have gotten changed? I use Windows 8. I have also tried with Firefox.

Thanks for any help

• Like 4

33 replies to this idea

Nobody knows why things aren't on the new version. Not knowing is an intrinsic part of the Evernote experience.

The default mode for this forum is:  

Detect a problem/lack  ------> comment on it -------> live in permanent hope.  

We users live in a state of chronic ignorance. We are like cave dwellers searching the skies for the arrival of a comet. 

• Like 6

I really wonder why this feature is not done. Its one of the most simple need things when taking notes. make a handful of notes, then get them connected and organized. 

I use evernote in 2 in home service businesses where we document all of the estimate and installation directions for a job. Too often the technician makes more than one note by accident. This splits the for the job into multiple notes, and often one of those notes then gets missed when the installation come due. Our office team would be happy to merge those notes when this happens, however there is no way to do this. Our team does not use window machines or Mac machines. Its web, android, or chrome app. 

Today I've received the webapp update with multiple note selection and thought "this is going to be the time merging becomes possible!" (I rely on merging a lot) but.... NO! I can move notes in batches now, but still no merging function... :(

1 minute ago, BABnyc14 said:

Same problem -- thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, if anyone from Evernote is reading --  please don't take the multi-select and merge function away - it's invaluable to me!!! Not sure why it's not in the new version of Evernote web but I can't live without it.

• Like 5

I am new to Evernote, and have wasted about 4 hours looking for how to merge notes (and other things)... then find that you can't in the web version... PLEASE add a feature to MERGE and to clip from web repeatedly to the same note.  Think of a 'note' as an email;... I cutnpaste to the single email and paste pics in it too.  Then I find I can't do it in Evernote.... Please help.

I too am having the same problem in the "new" EN Web version, which I've started using just recently. Outside of EN, when I am pressing either Ctrl+click and Shift+click, I am able to select multiple items, regardless of whether the items are in a range or not.

As a test, I reverted to the older version and I was able to merge notes without a problem. However, I'd like to use the new EN Web version.

Should I submit a support ticket? Or this a known issue with a quick fix?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Windows 10
Chrome Version 52.0.2743.116 m

• Like 1

When you go to Evernote's help, it does not tell you that you cannot merge in the web version.   How many hours did I spend tonight trying to figure out why I cannot merge notes?  How many times did I control-click?   I think an explanation to web users  is due on Evernote's online "help".  Of course, there is no easy way to comment to Evernote itself so I will post here.  Frustrating.  It is one thing if they don't want to offer the feature on the web version; it is another to not make that clear to users.  

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-12 at 8:36 PM, yellowcat said:

When you go to Evernote's help, it does not tell you that you cannot merge in the web version.   How many hours did I spend tonight trying to figure out why I cannot merge notes?  How many times did I control-click?   I think an explanation to web users  is due on Evernote's online "help".  Of course, there is no easy way to comment to Evernote itself so I will post here.  Frustrating.  It is one thing if they don't want to offer the feature on the web version; it is another to not make that clear to users.  

Not sure what documentation you’re looking at.  I see https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/01/30/merge-notes-together-evernote/ and it only describes merging on the Mac and Windows platforms

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Boblemarin said:

Is it still possible to switch back to the old version?

Cannot find the parameter in the settings...

Only available for long-time users
Account > Settings > Account Summary > Evernote Web > Go back to old version

Hi Everyone,

Has anybody found ANY solution yet to merge notes on Windows desktop?

the CTRL-Click is obviously NOT working and there's NO way to select the notes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

• Level 5*
On 5/13/2018 at 8:50 PM, Rachels said:

Has anybody found ANY solution yet to merge notes on Windows desktop?

Using the current web client,  no.  As discussed above,  if you can,  revert to the 'old' web version,  or use the installed desktop app,  you can merge notes.

Wow!

Almost 3 years without any fix for this! Cannot merge on Web or on the go with Android; probably cannot too with iOS.

To write text with minimal hierarchy, I start being forced to go to google docs or IA Writer. Evernote is in the comfort zone, a lot of accommodation ... remember blockbuster, xerox.

I would write TIA but suspect it has no meaning in this context

• Level 5*
On 7/20/2018 at 1:52 PM, Marcelo Scofano Diniz said:

To write text with minimal hierarchy

...Hi.  And for this you need note merge?  Can you explain that a little more fully? 

The web version of Evernote Business has recently been updated to be much more capable,  and those changes are (allegedly) coming to other clients.  Rewriting the web client has been a long project.  Don't yet know whether the new version includes merging.

I work around the lack of merging on mobile versions by linking items with tags or titles.  If and when I use those notes later from a desktop I may merge them together,  but when I'm taking notes,  separate items are fine.  I time stamp each heading so normal chronological order is preserved even if I go back to edit the notes later,  or create new items that predate some entries.  I can also number the headings if I want to force a different interval.

• Level 5*
On 7/30/2018 at 10:32 AM, Brennan Morrow said:

I really wonder why this feature is not done. Its one of the most simple need things when taking notes. make a handful of notes, then get them connected and organized. 

Maybe, but not for everyone -- I do merges very rarely, and use note linking much more often. Basically, they can't do it now because they don't currently have any multi-note functionality in place at all. 

That being said, copy/paste should work for simple cases, I would think...

Six...no, make that seven...years on, with lots of revs and a hyoooge upgrade, we still have no way to merge notes in Evernote Web (nor in Android or iOS). This means that one has to have one of the desktop versions to do something as basic and useful as merging two or more notes. 

From Evernote's Help & Learning pages (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004857): "If you have individual notes that you would like to combine into a single note, you can merge them using Evernote for Mac or Windows. Note merging is not available on Evernote for iOS, Evernote for Android, or Evernote Web."

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, boneycur said:

to do something as basic and useful as merging two or more notes. 

I may have missed a memo,  but the Web version will merge notes - 

merge.png.41471acac9b518f4fd62c6120f5c4ae7.png

I don't have my Android handy at the moment but I think that will too...

Which versions of Evernote are you using?

On 2/15/2016 at 8:55 AM, Glennie said:

Nobody knows why things aren't on the new version. Not knowing is an intrinsic part of the Evernote experience.

The default mode for this forum is:  

Detect a problem/lack  ------> comment on it -------> live in permanent hope.  

We users live in a state of chronic ignorance. We are like cave dwellers searching the skies for the arrival of a comet. 

Visiting this forum on a rather infrequent basis, I must say that this post captures the Evernote experience, almost exactly, despite the age of the post! To be absolutely clear, I still love the app, but damned if the things it WILL do upon a new release, versus the things it WILL NOT do, versus the things it used to do that are missing in a new release, remains one of the mysteries of the universe. (Shows to go you how powerful and needed such an app remains, despite crapping on users the way EN routinely does. #Shrugs)

• Level 5

Don’t know what his generalization has to do with the thread.

It has been explained that merging notes depend on a local database. This is exclusive to the desktop clients, which restricts this feature to these platforms. Has nothing to do with ignorance, it just means putting resources where they will have the largest effect.

Rebuilding every function on every platform is the opposite, and would harm all users, while devs would be lurking in the engine room to build around basic restrictions, burning the midnight oil and devouring pizza & coke while they try.

Together with this observation means: Who is waiting and hoping for this function to emerge does so because being ignorant to the facts.

There are other functions where this is not the fact, but for merging on web or mobile, it applies.

• Level 5*

If we're talking about merging two or more (but less than 101) notes in the web app,  has anyone tried that lately?  I can multi-select up to 100 notes and merge them as required.

• Level 5

Yes, one should try more often.

Can confirm that the same operations on multiple notes (up to 100) work on the web client, as they work on the desktop clients.

Among them are tagging, merging, moving and trashing.