Feature Request: Excel *.xlsm not searchable

There is a problem, that by adding a macro to excel *.xlsx document file extension changes to *.xlsM. From that moment such file becomes not searchable by evernote.  Renaming file back to *.xlsx cures searchability in EN, but excel refuses to open it.

Is there a workaround? Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I wouldn't be sure whether this was a bug or a design/ security feature.  If Evernote doesn't recognise that file type as being searchable,  there's no workaround that I know of that would allow you to search the 'active' file.  Excel will save or export content to different file types,  so you could export to HTML (say) and include both the HTML and XLSM copies of the file in the same note as a temporary measure.  Longer term I'd suggest adding 'Feature Request' to the title here,  and raising a bug report too  - scroll to the bottom of this page to click the 'Contact Support' button.

• Level 5*
On 1/11/2016 at 7:56 AM, AlexDamonov said:

Renaming file back to *.xlsx cures searchability in EN, but excel refuses to open it.

Is there a workaround? Thanks.

No workaround I know of, other than the one you used.  Well maybe one:  Save two versions of the excel file, one without macros, and one with, and attach both to Evernote.  I know this a poor workaround, but I don't see any others.

Meanwhile, since all of the MS office documents are just XML files, I'm guessing that Evernote has simply put a filter on which file types they will show inline.

So, make a feature request to include ".xlsm" files.

Archived