typing is soooo slow to respond

I don't know what changed but in the past 2 weeks, whenever I would edit or create a new note, when I would start typing it was sooooooo slow to respond to each character I was typing. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and using Evernote on Android version 5.0.1. I had no other app open at the time so it doesn't make sense why it was so slow. I removed and reinstalled Evernote and that did not help. What is the best way to fix this? Is there a size limit to each note? I made that note smaller in size and now it's responding just fine. If there is a size limit, is there a way to change that?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Nothing much has changed in the last 2 weeks.  AFAIK the last new public version was in November last year.  You may be running out of storage space on your phone or have other sync issues - best (and only) fix is to uninstall / restart the device / reinstall the latest version of the app.  Check that you do still have some free space,  and that you haven't moved Evernote to SD card storage (it doesn't like that).  Yes large notes are slow to load on a mobile device that has to suck the data down a network connection for obvious reasons.  There's no size 'limit' but lots of short notes are preferable to one big one.  If in doubt raise a support request - scroll to the bottom of this page to click the 'Contact Support' button.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, SKush said:

I've just started to have the same problem in the last few weekes on samsung note 5. reinstalled and checked for available storage.  absolutely painful and not sure what too do. it is almost unusable

Hi.  I'm using a Note 4 with no issues that I've noticed.  I use a Swipes keyboard - are you using the standard Samsung keyboard?  There is another issue that might possibly be related...

• 2 months later...

Larger notes perform horribly; the typing input lag is ridiculous. What's the fix? Not "shorten the notes," that is absurd. I only do normal raw text notes for most of them. A 486 computer from 1995 handled 50,000-character Word documents without issue, but my Google Pixel quad-core SOC phone can't with this application? Wow.

Please fix your application. I'm experiencing this on the Android app. I tried this out (Plus version, so I don't even have the context option) because of OneNote not reliably syncing between devices off and on and I love the feature set here, but I am an IT systems engineer and regularly have need to quickly add or edit a small piece of information in one or more larger notes on my phone while I'm in the middle of something, and I shouldn't have to sit and avoid notes that aren't small. This is basic TEXT editing we're talking about, here.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Two suggestions (apart from shorter notes...) -

1. are your notes downloaded to the phone,  or are they being downloaded and synced over a third-party network connection?  Downloaded might work better...
  2. have you looked at the Google Drive integration?  Maybe keeping the text files on GDrive with links via Evernote would give you the benefit of the search features plus a faster response via Google when you open the file to edit it. 
    (And if the response is faster you can justifiably point out to Evernote that it's their software that is slowing things down.)

Have to say I don't understand the general aversion to short notes - I keep long documents as individual sections or even paragraphs tied together with titles or tags.  A search (or a Table of Contents note) will find me the 'whole' document,  but if I want to edit one small paragraph I can use Search or the ToC to jump straight to a note which contains a few hundred words at most,  change the detail and exit back out.  Maybe it shouldn't be necessary,  but that's the way the world works at the moment,  and it's not likely to change in the near future...

On 1/10/2016 at 8:21 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Nothing much has changed in the last 2 weeks.  AFAIK the last new public version was in November last year.  You may be running out of storage space on your phone or have other sync issues - best (and only) fix is to uninstall / restart the device / reinstall the latest version of the app.  Check that you do still have some free space,  and that you haven't moved Evernote to SD card storage (it doesn't like that).  Yes large notes are slow to load on a mobile device that has to suck the data down a network connection for obvious reasons.  There's no size 'limit' but lots of short notes are preferable to one big one.  If in doubt raise a support request - scroll to the bottom of this page to click the 'Contact Support' button.

It is a clever way to try and resolve the problem.  For me I have 2 issues with them.

1.  I really don't want to keep my info on 2 different systems (i.e. Google Drive)

2.  One reason I don't keep shorter notes is Evernote's limit on file hierarchy, which is another pet peeve for me.  I combine a lot of log, blog, type entries so that my note stack count doesn't get ridiculous to view.

• Level 5*

It was only a suggestion... ;)

The Google Drive thing isn't as bad as accessing two systems - you can click the link in a note to open the file,  and save it back to Google reasonably transparently,  effectively back to the same note.

And the file hierarchy doesn't prevent you making notes - you have a limit of 100,000 in the account - and you can assign notes to multiple 'folders' by using tags - which in Android at least now show a nested structure;  so you can drill down through levels from (for example) <windows> <system> <utilities> <file_managers> to find your note listing links to installed options.

My point about ToC notes was on the same issue - you can create a ToC for

<windows>
    <document processing>
        <etc>
        <etc>
    <system>
        <utilities>
            <file_managers>

- and find any given section immediately by having a shortcut to a saved search for the ToC note.

But like I say - only a suggestion...:)

I'm a systems engineer who works for an IT consulting company. I have one notebook for each client I do anything resembling regular work with, so I have a couple dozen notebooks. A couple of these clients have very special security procedures in place, and there are some things that I do in five minutes for one client but which take 90 minutes at one or two of these special security clients, and it's an extensively documented list of tasks for one specific "normally quick" procedure. I can't have short notes in some cases; or rather, it'd be the equivalent of breaking up paragraphs on a page into separate notes which makes no sense and is just cumbersome.

If I found the Commodore 64 computer from my childhood, it'd handle large notes better than the modern Evernote app does in this sense, and that is so far beyond unacceptable that it's not even in the same stratosphere as unbelievable. It boggles the mind.

There should not be a higher priority for Evernote's core development team than making sure a note performs well with 50,000 or 100,000 characters of unformatted text in it.

If this is a case of the support team not believing me, I will gladly (ok, not gladly, it'd be a nuisance; but I'd do it) record a video demonstration. Even on multiple mobile devices if I need to.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, RolandDeschain said:

If this is a case of the support team not believing me

...Sorry,  I should have stressed earlier - this isn't support,  and they haven't necessarily seen this thread yet (there's frequently lurking involved,  but they don't often say much..) - we're a mainly user-supported forum,  and I'm just one of the chickens.  You can contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter for an 'official' reaction. 

My take would be that although you have a good use case,  for 99.9999% of their 200M+ users,  short notes etc are viable work-arounds.  The long note issue - especially on mobile devices - is so tied up with local storage capacity and network connections and speed that it's not an easy,  or a high priority fix.

You could post a votable feature request in the generic Evernote forum to see how many others feel this is an important issue - if there's a rush of support,  it might happen faster...

Oh I know you're not support, I was posting that for their benefit since i'm sure there's at least some occasional lurking. There's no way that high of a percentage (four nines? really?) never have use for a longer note, though.

If local storage (I've got 39GB free on local storage on my 64GB Pixel phone) and network connection speed (half the time I'm on 100-megabit symmetrical fiber via 802.11AC Wi-Fi) are factors for some, they are not for me, generally. Ridiculous thought to even entertain, really. If I were using an old POS phone that was $99 when it was new, maybe...

In any case, I do appreciate your replies, Gazumped. :)

• Level 5

Just a thought from someone without a great deal of technical knowledge, but I wonder if there are Android OS constraints (as implemented by your phone's maker and service provider) that are in play. For instance, are there other apps on the phone (as opposed to an old computer) that handle 50,000-character documents more adroitly than Evernote does? Or does the Evernote desktop app (which I realize might not have real-world practicality in your situation) handle them better than the Android app?

The Google Keep and OneNote Android apps both have zero issues with large documents. The largest note in question I have is actually one that was already in both of those apps, and which I merely pasted (even with matching destination formatting) into a new note in Evernote. The lag issue is absolutely, definitively, exclusive to Evernote.

I don't have this issue whatsoever with the Evernote desktop thick client or the browser-based one.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Have you tried (if it's possible to do this) Simplify or Remove Formatting on the content?  Just thinking that if this data is copied from another online source there may be something there besides actual text.  -Granny,  eggs I know but if you decide to try this you might want to use a copy note...

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue.  It started about 4 weeks ago,  before that typing was very quick. No other programs have this lag,  therefore it's clearly an Evernote App problem. I'm writing the notes for my latest book in Evernote,  and my latest (chapter) Note is only at 4,000 words,  and had no problem typing the previous (chapter) notes that were 10,000+ words per Note 5 weeks ago. I'm giving it another week and then I'm moving my writing Notes for my book to Android Word.

• Level 5*

So you're basically saying that long notes work for you,  but shorter notes don't?  Have you tried starting another new note to see whether the slow experience continues?  If you doublecheck that your notes have synced,  you might consider uninstalling and reinstalling the app (if you're using Android) to check that it's not some sort of update issue...

• 6 months later...

Archived