Jump to content
SoftwareMarcus

Evernote for Mac 6.4 Released

Recommended Posts

Today we be launched Evernote for Mac 6.4 (build 452969).  Here’s a link to the release.  The Mac App Store version has also been released.  Here are the official release notes:
 
New
  • Start discussions in the Work Chat view with a New Chat button.
  • Improved search behavior:
    • When you clear a search you will be returned to your previous note or view.
    • Search highlighting now highlights only words that start with the search phrase.
 
Fixed
  • When you restart Evernote, there was an issue that it sometimes didn't remember the last note you were on. Now it does.
  • Improved overall stability.
 
Let me know if you see any issues.
 
P. S. An interesting fact is that a majority of Evernote users have upgraded and are now using Apple's latest operating system El Capitan.  It's amazing how fast the transition happens on Mac vs Windows.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just upgraded to 6.4. Looks good — but what happened to the sidebar? Am I missing something simple, or has that view changed completely? I'm missing seeing my notbooks, tags, shortcuts etc. listed on the far left. How can I get those back?

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post

I am a very happy Evernote user, and just upgraded to 6.4 without issue. However, I would like to know where the version history is stored for Evernote? I saw a brief listing of features and fixes with the upgrade notice, but subsequently had to google the version number just to find your post. I think it's often the case that users get notified of an upgrade and take it, but don't have time to think about the implications of all the changes at that moment. In a case such as this, where do we go to study the changes at our leisure?

 

Thanks, Christopher Campbell

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, muckster said:

what happened to the sidebar?

I don't know why the Sidebar would be hidden because of the update.  But you should be able to go to View > Show Sidebar to display it.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Christopher Campbell said:

where do we go to study the changes at our leisure?

Here are a few things you can do:

  1. Subscribe to this forum:  Mac Product Feedback 
    1. For at least a year now, new updates have been posted to this forum
    2. If you set your forum notification settings to receive email for each topic, or a daily summary, then you will get notice of the update providing details.
    3. View the update topic, and clip to Evernote, and study at your leisure.
  2. Review the Release Notes before updating
    1. When the update notice is displayed, it also shows the Release Notes
    2. Copy & paste these into an EN Note, and study at your leisure

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I don't know why the Sidebar would be hidden because of the update.  But you should be able to go to View > Show Sidebar to display it.

 

Sorry if I wasn't clear — it's not that the sidebar is toggled off. I see it, but it now contains only four icons: notes, notebooks, tags, and atlas — nothing else (see attached). Before the update, it used to display my shortcuts as well as lists of notebooks, tags, recently used notes etc. That's all gone, and it's important for me to  get them back. I need to be able to switch to my shortcuts and individual notebooks without having to go to the notebook view etc. I'm not seeing a way to get this back under view > sidebar options.

Thanks!

 

 

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 22.44.27.png

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, muckster said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear — it's not that the sidebar is toggled off. I see it, but it now contains only four icons: notes, notebooks, tags, and atlas — nothing else (see attached)

That's the view you see when you reduce the Evernote app main window to a certain point.  So you need to increase the width to see the normal Sidebar.

@SoftwareMarcus:  Frankly, I don't see the point.  If the Sidebar would autoexpand when I moused over it, then that would be great.  But I almost never need to click on the icons to go to the Notebook or Tag view.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, muckster said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear — it's not that the sidebar is toggled off. I see it, but it now contains only four icons: notes, notebooks, tags, and atlas — nothing else (see attached). Before the update, it used to display my shortcuts as well as lists of notebooks, tags, recently used notes etc. That's all gone, and it's important for me to  get them back. I need to be able to switch to my shortcuts and individual notebooks without having to go to the notebook view etc. I'm not seeing a way to get this back under view > sidebar options.

Thanks!

We designed this as a temporary sidebar for when you're using El Cap's side by side view and the full sidebar doesn't fit or some like to run it always because they like the cleaner look.   As JMichael says you can simply drag it wider to see everything again.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

We designed this as a temporary sidebar for when you're using El Cap's side by side view and the full sidebar doesn't fit or some like to run it always because they like the cleaner look.   As JMichael says you can simply drag it wider to see everything again.

 

No — this is in full screen. I can't seem to get the more detailed list view back.

 

full-screen.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, muckster said:

 

No — this is in full screen. I can't seem to get the more detailed list view back.

 

I'm not able to reproduce this issue using 6.4.  When you mouse over to the right edge of the sidebar and click and drag it doesn't grow wider?  Is anyone else seeing this in full screen view? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

I'm not able to reproduce this issue using 6.4.  When you mouse over to the right edge of the sidebar and click and drag it doesn't grow wider?  Is anyone else seeing this in full screen view? 

 

Oh I see — I have to drag the edge of the sidebar wider. Thanks, I got it now. I would never have figured this out on my own. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile feature to me, but maybe I'm the only one who couldn't figure that out...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, muckster said:

 

Oh I see — I have to drag the edge of the sidebar wider. Thanks, I got it now. I would never have figured this out on my own. Doesn't seem like a worthwhile feature to me, but maybe I'm the only one who couldn't figure that out...

 

 

I'm not sure why you ended up in this mode by default.  It should only occur when the window is too small to display the note view.  Once you drag the window wider again it would pop back out automatically.  The behavior you're seeing where its permanently the mini-sidebar should only occur if you manually shrank the sidebar to be that size.  Anyway, I'm glad it's working for you now.

Share this post


Link to post

In new iOS 9.3 Beta Apple add ability to password protect notes in Apple Notes. So, even Apple, company that focused on simplicity, realized that this is basic functionality for note taking app. And off course, MS OneNote has this ability for more than a decade. 

When Evernote team will realize that lack of password protection on notes is a shame and disgrace for note taking application that position itself as an app for productive professionals? 

LBoJAqQ.png

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Siberian said:

lack of password protection on notes

Your posting doesn't seem to match the subject of this thread.

Were you aware that Evernote offers encryption of text within the note.

you can also use app Saferoom to encrypt the entire note.

I'd like to see a note level read-only switch.

Edited by DTLow
To specify that Evernote only encrypts text within the notes, and the Saferoom app will encrypt the entire mote.

Share this post


Link to post

@muckster If you want to resize the window, just put your cursor over at the divide between the dark and light sections, then drag it to the width you'd like. It's a new feature designed for OS X 10.11 El Capitan's split view feature.

 

 

Napkin 01-12-16, 12.26.35 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Were you aware that Evernote offers a note level encryption feature?

Actually the encryption is not "note level", as in encrypting the entire note.  You can't encrypt images or attachments.

You can only encrypt selected text within a note.
See How to encrypt content inside Evernote 

Share this post


Link to post

I noticed another problem with the sidebar on Evernote 6.4 (App Store Version).

The current active notebook is not highlighted as active in the sidebar anymore. Only the "All Notes" icon is marked as active instead.
Same behavior on 10.11.2 El Capitan and 10.9.5.
 

Evernote_6_4.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@vvooddoo Yes, that is the default behavior now - others have made their displeasure with it known. I am unsure if Evernote will switch it back to 'the old way'.

Share this post


Link to post

I am having troubles to open a pdf file I clipped from the web. I try it to open through the Icons and also through the sidebar on the file, but the other program does not open. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, vvooddoo said:

The current active notebook is not highlighted as active in the sidebar anymore. Only the "All Notes" icon is marked as active instead.

This change was made many versions ago.  I can't imagine what the developer/design rationale was for making such a change. Almost everyone hates it.  We have complained many times, but @SoftwareMarcus says it is difficult to change.   IMO, this is basic behavior that needs to work like the Mac OS (Finder), and every other app have used.  

If you would like for the Notebook to remain highlighted in the left Sidebar, please go vote for this request:
Sidebar selection does not reflect the current notebook selection 

Share this post


Link to post

For the WISHLIST for any platform:

- Lock button, for a note to become "read only".

Let me explain: I use certain notes for my work that I don't intend to change very often. I'd like to have those notes in a 'read only' mode, so they don't get messed up by mistake when I open them on the iPad or iPhone in a moving environment.

Thanks...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Fco said:

For the WISHLIST for any platform:

- Lock button, for a note to become "read only".

Now that the Evernote forums have a voting mechanism, you may want to post your request as a new topic (idea) to this forum (Mac Product Feedback) so others can vote for it.

Note that ONLY the "Product Feedback" forums support voting.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Now that the Evernote forums have a voting mechanism, you may want to post your request as a new topic (idea) to this forum (Mac Product Feedback) so others can vote for it.

Note that ONLY the "Product Feedback" forums support voting.

Great idea to make this something separate that people can vote on.  I like the idea of the lock.  I would use it.

8 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

This change was made many versions ago.  I can't imagine what the developer/design rationale was for making such a change. Almost everyone hates it.  We have complained many times, but @SoftwareMarcus says it is difficult to change.   IMO, this is basic behavior that needs to work like the Mac OS (Finder), and every other app have used.  

If you would like for the Notebook to remain highlighted in the left Sidebar, please go vote for this request:
Sidebar selection does not reflect the current notebook selection 

Yah, it's funny the Mac app has been this way for probably more than 2 years so it's not a new change but people are just noticing it now most likely because the highlight is so prominent in the new design or they are switching over from Windows.  Quite honestly this isn't a big deal for most people because only a small percentage of people display the note list and tag list in the sidebar.  If you don't have these on I don't think it's really a big deal.  

It probably doesn't hurt to vote this up but I don't think there's anyone here that wants to keep the current behavior.  It's just a matter of effort and timing.  We've got some big redesign projects going on so the question is whether we wait and do all of the changes together or do the selection change now and risk having to redo it again later.  I'm waiting to see how things pan out in the next few weeks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

Quite honestly this isn't a big deal for most people because only a small percentage of people display the note list and tag list in the sidebar.  If you don't have these on I don't think it's really a big deal.

Marcus, how do you know this?  I have to admit that previously, I did not use the Sidebar that much.  But recently I've don't a major reorganization of my Evernote account, and now I find it very useful to always show the Sidebar.  I also see a lot of posts by users with lots of Notebooks, and users using the GTD or Secret Weapon systems, in which showing Notebooks and Tags in the Sidebar is essential.

1 hour ago, SoftwareMarcus said:

We've got some big redesign projects going on so the question is whether we wait and do all of the changes together or do the selection change now and risk having to redo it again later.

I understand and appreciate your dilemma.  I guess my feedback would be it depends on how long before the big redesign projects would be released.  If they are six months or more away, then, IMO, you would be doing your users a big service by implementing this (Notebook highlighting) now.  To be honest, it's hard to understand why this is such a difficult thing to change.

It really is a major usability issue that the user cannot immediately and clearly see which Notebook has been selected/filtered on, nor can the user see which tag(s) have been set as a filter.  For a selected Notebook filter, the user is presented with conflicting information.  The display is actually misleading in case of the Tag Filter.  It shows "All Notes", even though that is not correct. By comparison, EN Win makes this very clear.

Screenshot of When Notebook Filter is Set -- User Sees Conflicting Information

EN-Mac-Notebook-Filter.png

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I understand and appreciate your dilemma.  I guess my feedback would be it depends on how long before the big redesign projects would be released.  If they are six months or more away, then, IMO, you would be doing your users a big service by implementing this (Notebook highlighting) now.  To be honest, it's hard to understand why this is such a difficult thing to change.

It really is a major usability issue that the user cannot immediately and clearly see which Notebook has been selected/filtered on, nor can the user see which tag(s) have been set as a filter.  For a selected Notebook filter, the user is presented with conflicting information.  The display is actually misleading in case of the Tag Filter.  It shows "All Notes", even though that is not correct. By comparison, EN Win makes this very clear.

Our design team is looking at an information architecture overhaul because of the reasons you site and other issues.  I agree that if it's going to take a long time to redo this stuff then we'll fix highlighting sooner than later but if it's just around the corner then we'll wait.  This is what I'm waiting to find out in the next few weeks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I've upgraded to 6.4 running on OSX 10.9.5 and noticed a bug when I was tidying up my tags: when I create a new tag I can't nest any other tags inside it unless I restart Evernote first (between creating the tag and moving stuff into it). I can nest tags within exisiting (old) tags just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Arcturi said:

a bug when I was tidying up my tags: when I create a new tag I can't nest any other tags inside it unless I restart Evernote first (between creating the tag and moving stuff into it)

I noticed the same bug, but I was able to add child tags to a new tag just by viewing the Notes view AFTER I created the tag, then go back to the Tags view.

IAC, it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I noticed the same bug, but I was able to add child tags to a new tag just by viewing the Notes view AFTER I created the tag, then go back to the Tags view.

Hmm, doesn't seem to work for me, but I'm glad not everyone is having to close and reopen it!

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, I might be totally losing it.

I have EN 6.4 public release on my Mac 10.11.2 Macbook. Today, I went to Capital One and downloaded my 2015 1099INT tax form. It opened in the browser (safari.) There was a tiny little "save PDF to Evernote" box near the lower left. This is relatively new (love it!) but not the first time I've used it. I clicked it and it put the file in Evernote.

THe problem is it is being viewed as an attachment. So I cannot find ANYWHERE in the 6.4 client to tell it to show inline. My default is set for clipping to show PDFs as inline and not attachments.

I got to work today and decided to switch it on my Windows client. I cannot. "View as attachment" is checked, and the menu option is greyed out so I cannot change it.

So two questions:

  1. Where on the Mac client to I toggle individual notes to show PDFs as attachments or inline, or was it removed in 6.4? Or because this one is boogered up somehow is that why there is no menu option for it when I right-click on it?
  2. Why can I not change it in Windows?

 

Untitled picture.png

 

EDIT: Well, now I know why - in Windows when I try to open it FoxIt tells me the PDF is corrupt.

Still, where is the option in the Mac? Was the Mac client so aware it couldn't be shown inline it wasn't showing me the option?

Share this post


Link to post

If you right-click on an attachment on the Mac, it's there...

Otherwise, it's in the Preferences for Evernote, under "Clipping"
 

Screenshot 2016-01-21 13.51.33.png

View_Inline.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/21/2016 at 1:46 AM, Arcturi said:
On 1/21/2016 at 5:57 PM, Arcturi said:

I've upgraded to 6.4 running on OSX 10.9.5 and noticed a bug when I was tidying up my tags: when I create a new tag I can't nest any other tags inside it unless I restart Evernote first (between creating the tag and moving stuff into it). I can nest tags within exisiting (old) tags just fine.

Hmm, doesn't seem to work for me, but I'm glad not everyone is having to close and reopen it!

I think this is a bug we've known about for awhile but haven't had time to fix yet.  In other words this isn't new in 6.4.   I believe the issue is that you can't nest a tag until the parent tag is synced.  Try forcing a sync first by clicking on the sync button and then nesting should work.  This is why some people can reproduce it but others can't.  It's just a matter of timing because we'll eventually auto sync it.  We'll take a look but I think that's the work around for now.

Share this post


Link to post

BUG REPORT:  Paste of Text and Image From Evernote to Other Rich Text Apps Fails to Paste Image

EN Mac 6.4 on Yosemite (10.10.5).

I can confirm this bug.

Fails to paste image in:

  • MS Word 2011 Ver 14.6.0 (151221)
  • TextEdit 1.10 (319)

 

4 hours ago, notme said:

Every time I paste it into another application (Word, Wordpad, Pages etc...) I get text and no pictures...

 

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I was able to replicate that on my Mac

It looks like a bug;

Share this post


Link to post
On 25 January 2016 at 1:02 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

I think this is a bug we've known about for awhile but haven't had time to fix yet.  In other words this isn't new in 6.4.   I believe the issue is that you can't nest a tag until the parent tag is synced.  Try forcing a sync first by clicking on the sync button and then nesting should work.  This is why some people can reproduce it but others can't.  It's just a matter of timing because we'll eventually auto sync it.  We'll take a look but I think that's the work around for now.

Yep that works thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The @muckster Sidebar issue with the clear explanation and screencap from @macfixer - it's another one of those JonnyIve hidden/disappearing interface features that should be stomped out. I was confused by it the first time I encountered it too. How about adding a "grabber bar" or gripper, or something to make it more obvious that this is an adjustable element?

Thanks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/25/2016 at 5:30 PM, JMichaelTX said:

BUG REPORT:  Paste of Text and Image From Evernote to Other Rich Text Apps Fails to Paste Image

@SoftwareMarcus and @PeeJayTee:

Evernote is catching a lot of flak in this and other threads for lack of interoperability with MIcrosoft Word.  It seems that you have introduced another new bug in Ver 6.4 that causes further problems.  I hope you remember the debacle we had just a short while ago with tables not copying and pasting properly between Evernote and Word.

I don't consider MS Word to be a competitor to Evernote in any way.  Please recognize that it is to Evernote's benefit to make it work very well with Microsoft Office products, even if Evernote the company does not use MS Office internally.  While there are other Office suites available, MS Office is by far the most used around the world.

So please, make sure that before you publish a release that you thoroughly test it to make sure you have not broke something with copy/paste with MS Office.

Going forward, since you are working on the new common editor, may I suggest that you make copy/paste, and HTML export, as compatible as reasonably possible with MS Office, and really any app that has a solid rich text interface.  To put a point on it, I think this means, for one thing. making sure a cut or copy from Evernote does a great job of putting the standard, expected data on the clipboard.

Thanks for continuing to make Evernote a better product.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12. Januar 2016 at 4:02 PM, vvooddoo said:

I noticed another problem with the sidebar on Evernote 6.4 (App Store Version).

The current active notebook is not highlighted as active in the sidebar anymore. Only the "All Notes" icon is marked as active instead.
Same behavior on 10.11.2 El Capitan and 10.9.5.
 

Evernote_6_4.png

Version 6.6 fixed this Problem. Thanks a lot!

Share this post


Link to post

×
×
  • Create New...