Shortcut to delete a note (CMD + DEL) changeable back to just DEL?

Go to solution Solved by amanda_h,

Hi everyone,

Evernote just changed the shortcut to delete a note from DEL to CMD + DEL and it drives me nuts. For me it is a habit to use DEL in Evernote and I want to change the shortcut that it works in the old way. Does anyone know, if its possible and how to do it?

Thanks,
Nostranius

• Like 1

I completely agree. It is stupid to require CMD in order to delete a note. I always used the DELETE key to delete notes and am not sure why it was changed. I always hit the delete key several times before I remember that I have to do CMD-DEL. It just makes Evernote harder to use.

• Like 1
  • Solution

We changed the way the delete command works on Mac because we received several complaints that it was too easy to accidentally delete notes. There is not currently a way to revert back to using just the Delete key, rather than Command + Delete.

Hi Amanda,

thanks for the explanation. I read the blog post, where you announced the change of the shortcut. I understand, that for some people it is an issue and you want to give them the service to protect them from deleting by accident. But for the many, who did not complain, we would appreciate, if there would be a preference setting to change the new (standard) way to the old one.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Nostranius said:

we would appreciate, if there would be a preference setting to change the new (standard) way to the old one

There has been much concern expressed about this.

Aside from the usual complaints about anything different,
can you explain from your point of view why this is so important to you?

• 2 weeks later...

I am a very rare poster on any forum but this change to having to press two keys to delete a note is a real pain - the protection from accidental delete is that one can always restore from trash. Please please give an option to use just delete or cmd + delete

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

COMMAND + DELETE is also a problem as it is the default shortcut in Mac for deleting text up to the beginning of the line. If you are someone who uses this command while writing, you end up accidentally deleting the note you are currently editing.

I think the best thing would be to allow us to customize shortcuts. 

• Like 5
  • 5 months later...
On 3/1/2018 at 3:18 PM, Eduardo Estefano said:

COMMAND + DELETE is also a problem as it is the default shortcut in Mac for deleting text up to the beginning of the line. If you are someone who uses this command while writing, you end up accidentally deleting the note you are currently editing.

I think the best thing would be to allow us to customize shortcuts. 

Exactly! I already deleted various notes because of this. I contacted the support a while ago. But the other end did not understand the issue, even after several emails going back and forth.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

How do we escalate this issue? This is my single greatest frustration with evernote. CMD+DEL is a core command on macOS for deleting an entire line of text.

Additionally, the OS does not allow you to override this shortcut for applications. So there's no way to work around this.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Frustrating. I've also accidentally deleted a number of notes because <CMD>+Delete is a often-used shortcut for deleting a line of text. I generally find that I mistakenly delete notes while I'm using the search function and I try to delete a line of search text.  Worse yet, I don't notice that I've deleted an important note until much later.  This type of behavior makes me feel like I have to constantly check that no notes were mistakenly sent to the trash.  With software like Evernote, confidence is key. This behavior is causing me to lose confidence that the notes I need will be retained by Evernote and that they will be available when I need them.

I came back from years of absence from Evernote, and I find this is a thing now. I use `command-delete` to delete an entire line, and this deletes a note. In my opinion, shortcuts of an application should not collide with those of system. At least make it configurable. 

23 hours ago, doha said:

I came back from years of absence from Evernote, and I find this is a thing now. I use `command-delete` to delete an entire line, and this deletes a note. In my opinion, shortcuts of an application should not collide with those of system. At least make it configurable. 

Same. I've accidentally deleted important notes without noticing and it's honestly bothersome. Can't it be customised as some other shortcuts are?

• 1 year later...

For anyone else coming across this by search.. There is at least a workaround: in System Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, add a shortcut for Evernote.app with the Menu Title "Delete Note" and whatever shortcut you prefer other than Cmd-Delete. 

This will replace the Evernote shortcut, so Cmd-Delete will no longer delete notes. As a bonus, your new shortcut will now work within the note editor, as well as the note list and search bar.