Chrome clipper more accurate that Firefox clipper

CalS

• Level 5*

Wondering if others are seeing a difference in the output from the clippers.  Below are two screenshots of notes that are a result of a full page clip of the same web page.  The Chrome clip is accurate, the Firefox clip gets jumbled a bit.  I cycle between the two browsers as they seem to leap frog each other in speed, but am now thinking about sticking with Chrome based upon the accuracy of the clip.  Anyone else see the same behavior?

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*

Over a year ago, I used to prefer FireFox.  But since the EN Clipper V6 was released to Chrome and Safari, I've been using Chrome, generally with great success.
Rarely do I get a page clipped by Chrome that is messed up.  However, I usually clip the "Article" rather than the "Full Page".

The EN Clipper V6 has had many troubles in FireFox.  I tried it a few times, but just gave up.

Chrome is definitely my browser of choice, and I've not seen any speed issues with it.  All of this is on the Mac, in case that makes a difference.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the confirmation.  I was predominantly Chrome until about a year ago when it slowed down for some reason after a release, PC version.  I guess it's time to switch back to Chrome.  :rolleyes:

First- what version of EV Clipper are you using in Firefox?  I have been using firefox and the EV clipper in there for over 6 months and I have not seen any pages that were not clipped properly.

Also, for the clippings you showed- what selection did you use?  Article?  Full Page? I will try it on my end and post the (shared) evernote link to that for reference and review. 

Currently I am using EV Clipper Version 6.1 (last updated 11/30/2015)

This is where you can find the complete list of Evernote clipper plugins for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

• Level 5*

Version 6.1 on FF (43.0.2), Version 6.7 on Chrome (47.0.2526.106 m).  It was a full page clip.

Funny thing, as I was checking my Firefox version, I noticed an update and went from .1 to .2 I think.  Now the FF clip is not jumbled but the font size is different than the web page.  Chrome still provides the better actual representation of the page - http://www.carddesk.net/

ScreenClip.png

So- here is a link to a "shared" evernote from the same page that I just took.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/9e5aac51-dc55-4243-99fd-9a0951971f95/fccb7b14827cb943d102c1d97a6a6b18

A few questions do stand out :

1. I do not know why it does not take up the full screen and it is "trimmed" on the sides/edges

2. I do not understand why there is no scroll bar at the bottom because if you go and select text with your mouse then you can scroll the page to the right more

3. Viewing the clip in Evernote web - and pressing the 2 arrows button to expand the page full screen still does not show me the "sign in / Sign up" buttons but attempting to select text to move the page to the right still works.

I agree that something fishy may be going on here- but it could also be the code of the page specificlly that is doing this to evernote.  I clip many many things using Firefox clipper and usually I am using Article or screenshot since I really do not care for all the rest around what I really want to take out.  I have found myself to be using full page less and less.

• Level 5*

@dice

Thanks for the effort.  I cycle between article and full page, typically when EN Clipper's view of article is not mine.  Based upon all of this I do think I am going to morph back to Chrome as prime browser. not guessing now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is one more example of this on a message forum:

I am using Firefox 44.0.2, Evernote Clipper 6.1 on Firefox

I am using Chrome v 48.0.2564.116 m, Evernote Web Clipper 6.7 in Chrome.

The first attached file is from Chrome. The text formatting matches the original web page exactly, including sidebars and indentations in the style sheet,

The second attachment is from Firefox. Fonts are not exact matches. Responses are not indented. Sidebars are missing from the left side of the text in each post.

I do most of my clipping in Chrome now since I know it will maintain the source formatting. I'd consider using Firefox again but the formatting seems to get dropped.

Evernote_Forum_Clip_Chrome.JPG

Evernote_Forum_Clip_FFox.JPG

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, ScottN01 said:

I do most of my clipping in Chrome now since I know it will maintain the source formatting. I'd consider using Firefox again but the formatting seems to get dropped.

I agree.  I wish FF would work better since Chrome has so many adds and seems slower than FF (no doubt the ads).

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Chrome has so many adds and seems slower than FF (no doubt the ads).

I haven't really seen an performance issues with Chrome on the Mac (Yosemite), but I do have a flash blocker and popup blocker enabled.

Any particular page that you find much faster in FF than Chrome?

• Level 5*

Good for you.  For me, on Windows 10 Pro with blockers enabled, any image/media heavy page runs slower with Chrome.  This hasn't always been the case.  My experience is that the two browsers have switched the performance lead across time.  Right now the leader is FF but therein the clipper experience isn't quite as accurate as Chrome.  Minor PITA.  But I've always used the two browsers since there seems to be something one will do better than the other and some websites just won't work as well with one or the other.  

• Level 5*

@JMichaelTX

Try Reuters.com or cbsnews.com if you like.  It consistently takes longer to load either site in Chrome versus Firefox for me.  No noticeable difference in simpler sites, this forum for example.  Again, not a biggie, but I notice when I do my morning read.

Archived