Pandya

Dark Theme for Android

Idea

37 replies to this idea

I think OP means that a dark UI saves battery because many Android devices have AMOLED screens which have energy saving benefits for drawing black pixels. That is a good enough reason for a dark UI, another being that many writers prefer a dark UI for distraction-free writing. 

A search on google shows this has been requested several times over the years, so it seems like there is definitely demand. 

• Like 8

The fun part of this is that a dark UI has just been introduced on the iPhone where it is less of a benefit since iPhones do not have AMOLED displays. Strange how things go at Evernote....

• Like 3

72 votes on this and many discussions around the Internet later, no word on it :(

• Like 1

How long do we have to wait for this dark theme??

Like, come on Evernote, is it that difficult?

We pay for Plus and Premium monthly, but you guys won't give us features that are not impossible to make?

So sad...

with "true black" option for AMOLED, please

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2016 at 9:29 AM, Pandya said:

Androids are known to lose power in the battery quite fast...

On devices using OLED displays (or a variant thereof), right?,

I do vote for that, but I also want the coloured headers from Evernote Android app v4.x, as I hate the boring white interface of 5.x (hence me not upgrading to Android 8.x, and also why I don't use iOS), so I backed up the v4.x APK from my tablet, installed that on my phone for the time being, and disabled Play Store auto-updates on my tablet and phone.

So, if the developers listen, there could be 3 options in the app settings under "Theme" (not actual names of each option):

• Boring white interface (a la iOS) (default)
  • Classic colourful interface (a la Evernote Android app v4.x)
  • Dark mode

The reason why I prefer the colourful interface, is because it allowed me to tell the difference between all notes, notebooks, and actual notes. (Tweet for context)

Edited by kbhasi
Added clarification at the end

I use note/journal apps that give me a dark mode or theme to reduce eye strain. This use has been increasing as more apps offer this for Android smartphones.

I consider such programmers as humanitarian by their offering such eye relief as a basic feature. There is research showing visual impairment from smartphone use and suggested help to include using dark screen modes.

It is also helpful for middle of the night wake-up note writing.

I refer Evernote less for lack of this feature. (PM if curious what I now recommend.)

My eyes need an Evernote with a dark (or night) mode.

Evernote will eventually offer this for Android, I just hope it is sooner than later.

• Thanks 1

Hello Pandya,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums!

Having a dark UI layout would be cool. I will pass this along to the team.

• Like 7

- Although to be fair,  the latest versions of Android have addressed battery usage... but a dark theme is a good idea anyway!

• Like 3

Thanks for the background.  It will help if you can click the counter on the top left of this page - the more clicks,  the more credibility this request has...

• Like 2

Thanks to Pandya. Question about configuring anf hacking Evernote for a dark theme has been around for long on the net. Now it is formally formulated. Hope that this will come soon.

• Like 2

Yep, this is exactly what I hope to see in an update soon. I prefer dark themes whenever available from my Android apps. Evernote being one of my most used apps, this would be a most welcomed feature.

• Like 2

I noticed the widget has an option for dark theme. 

So I assumed the app had it as well, but it doesn't.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2016 at 8:18 PM, Matt W. said:

Hello Pandya,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums!

Having a dark UI layout would be cool. I will pass this along to the team.

Please pass on to the Windows team that we've been suggesting that for over a year for the desktop version.  We never get a response.  Thanks in advance.!

Please visit;

Maybe all hope is not lost for Evernote after all. < cautiously optimistic >

26 minutes ago, Myrddin R Emrys said:

Please pass on to the Windows team that we've been suggesting that for over a year for the desktop version.  We never get a response.  Thanks in advance.!

Please visit;

Maybe all hope is not lost for Evernote after all. < cautiously optimistic >

For more than two years, almost three !

• Like 1

A dark theme Would really save battery power for AMOLED devices, for long note taking sessions, would also be less disruptive for taking notes in darkened venues.

• Like 3

I would also like a dark theme, for ALL platforms.

the windows one is also very very bright. I have somewhat gotten around this on the web version with Stylish theme applied in firefox but that's a bit "hack'ish".

• Like 3

When will Evernote listen and add a dark theme to all of their app versions and all devices?! 
The app sucks without nightmode!

• Like 2

+1 for Dark Theme. I am currently using LG G4. It has a lovely display (4K, 5,5 inch), but the cost of this is the fast battery drain. I will be very grateful if you consider building Dark Theme for Android devices. In my opinion you will definitely make  many people happy.

• Like 2

Evernote team please look at a Google chrome extension called dark reader for inspiration.  On top of inverting the colors on the page the whiteness can be softened further with sepia adjustments.  Thanks and please add the night mode. Pretty please with sugar and spice. ☺

• Like 4

6 hours ago, netro said:

Evernote team please look at a Google chrome extension called dark reader for inspiration.  On top of inverting the colors on the page the whiteness can be softened further with sepia adjustments.  Thanks and please add the night mode. Pretty please with sugar and spice. ☺

You silver-tongued devil you - with 43 votes so far,  I'd hope some Evernote someone,  somewhere,  is working on this as we post...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, netro said:

Pretty Pleezzzzeee... You know, our Birthday is coming up too, right.?  You didn't forget did you?   ;-)

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 2:59 PM, Tarek12 said:

is it that difficult?

No idea.  But Evernote never (usually) say what they might be working on,  or whether or not they will schedule some work for the future.  They just delivered two new Mac and Windows versions,  squashing at least some of the ongoing bugs,  so I guess they've been pretty busy - and I do prefer that they fix the bugs in preference to making things look pretty. 

Appreciate this is a vital issue to some,  but even 74 users (the current vote) against 220M overall is not exactly a majority...  It's not a democracy,  so we just have to wait - or go see what else there is in the market...

9 hours ago, Luca2903 said:

Hi, any news about this? 

Hi.  No,  sorry - the current beta doesn't have any improved themes.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:08 AM, netro said:

This sounds brilliant. I just bought a theme for my j3 luna that alters my keyboard in a similar way (it makes my keys sepia and background of the board dark Brown already much easier on the eyes). I would very much appreciate a nightmode in evernote to compliment this it would make a massive improvement on my migraines.