Highlighting PDFs

Will upgrading to Premium enable me to

1. Highlight text within a PDF
  2. Have those highlighted portions automatically extracted and viewable in a separate list (like say Kindle). 

The Premium membership lists PDF annotation as a benefit, but I can't tell if this kind of highlighting is supported. 

Thanks in advance for any help with this. 

Hi spacing,

Upgrading to Premium will allow you to annotate PDFs, including highlighting text, however there isn't a way for that highlighted text to be extracted from the PDF using Evernote. A quick Google search is showing a few third party applications that have the ability to do this (SumNotes and Skim were a couple I found), but I haven't tested them out myself. Hope that helps!

• 4 months later...
On 1/5/2016 at 11:17 AM, amanda_h said:

Hi spacing,

Upgrading to Premium will allow you to annotate PDFs, including highlighting text, however there isn't a way for that highlighted text to be extracted from the PDF using Evernote. A quick Google search is showing a few third party applications that have the ability to do this (SumNotes and Skim were a couple I found), but I haven't tested them out myself. Hope that helps!

I do not understand why the Evernote engineers cannot make embedded PDF highlighting a standard feature. The highlighting that Evernote currently has does not embed with a pdf. If you download the PDF and open it up in Acrobat or PDF Expert the Evernote highlights will not be there. Notability, PDF expert will give Evernote some serious competition if they expand their services to be more like Evernote simply because of Evernote's stubborn refusal to implement this important feature.

I would like to know why this is not being implemented. Does Evernote have a lack of engineers lacking the capability or technical skill to implement this feature? Is it too cost prohibitive? What is going on? This is the main reason why I have not fully switched the Evernote platform. I simply use it to collect random bits of notes and info kind of like a scrapbook, but will never be a serious note taking app until embedded highlighting is implemented. 

The lack of Evernote's response to customer feature requests is basically inviting a more responsive competitor to come in and steal customers away. I am simply so frustrated by Evernote's tone deafness with feature requests that the majority of customers demand implemented. 

I fear for the future of Evernote as the marquee digital note taking and organization app. 

On 5/29/2016 at 9:28 PM, RobotEfficiency said:

I do not understand why the Evernote engineers cannot make embedded PDF highlighting a standard feature. The highlighting that Evernote currently has does not embed with a pdf. If you download the PDF and open it up in Acrobat or PDF Expert the Evernote highlights will not be there. Notability, PDF expert will give Evernote some serious competition if they expand their services to be more like Evernote simply because of Evernote's stubborn refusal to implement this important feature.

I would like to know why this is not being implemented. Does Evernote have a lack of engineers lacking the capability or technical skill to implement this feature? Is it too cost prohibitive? What is going on? This is the main reason why I have not fully switched the Evernote platform. I simply use it to collect random bits of notes and info kind of like a scrapbook, but will never be a serious note taking app until embedded highlighting is implemented. 

The lack of Evernote's response to customer feature requests is basically inviting a more responsive competitor to come in and steal customers away. I am simply so frustrated by Evernote's tone deafness with feature requests that the majority of customers demand implemented. 

I fear for the future of Evernote as the marquee digital note taking and organization app. 

Hi @RobotEfficiency, welcome to the forums.

In order for us to keep the Mac Help thread focused on help/support/troubleshooting for the Mac Evernote application, as well as keep track of what features our users would like to see in Evernote, I'm going to ask that you direct any feedback you have to the Mac Product Feedback thread. Thanks again for your feedback and for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived