Suggestion: 'Pin' notes at the top of a notebook

izoobil

Idea

It would be really useful to have a 'pinned' or 'starred' feature to keep particular notes at the top of a list within Notebook view – for example, to keep an Index page.

Some background: I'm a medical student and have been using Evernote to organise my academic and personal life for the past year. Despite a few little flaws, I love how functional and well-integrated it is across my devices, and that its features improve with each update. I can't imagine organising anything without it anymore, and absolutely can't recommend it highly enough.

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

In the meantime as a workaround some folks change the created or updated date so that the "pinned" notes sort to the top.  Also, depending upon how many such notes you have, you can drag the note to the shortcut bar and access it from there.

• Level 5*
On December 22, 2015 at 7:03 PM, izoobil said:

It would be really useful to have a 'pinned' or 'starred' feature to keep particular notes at the top of a list within Notebook view – for example, to keep an Index page.

In the absence of this feature I'd agree with the other recommendations of altering the title/creation date /modified date to keep your notes at the top of your list.  This works well for the Index page.

As for other notes, one suggestion is to create a tag like Important Notes. You can put the tag into your shortcut list for quick access.

• Level 5*
On 12/23/2015 at 9:03 PM, izoobil said:

Until/IF Evernote provides this feature, I've found the following workarounds to work pretty well:

1. As @kgg said, create a Reminder with no date for the notes you want to "pin"
    1. Then in the Reminder list, on top of the Note list, you can drag/drop to the desired order
    2. Applying a NB and/or Tag filter also filters the Reminders, so when you are in a particular NB, you see only the Reminders for that NB
    3. You can also toggle the display of Reminders on/off
  2. I use a tag of !Fav to assign to the most important, or key, notes.
    1. When you have a NB filter, you can add to that a Tag filter of !Fav to just show the important Notes for that NB.

Being able to PIN or ANCHOR a note to the top of a notebook or a notebook is priceless.   I use the "Table of Content" feature constantly but we really need that table of content to stick to the top of the notebook,  otherwise we will end up searching for the table of content within hundreds of notes.  Imagine having the table of content of a book on page 231

Yes, I know I can always use the search feature to find it, but evernote is not about a good solutions, Evernote is about excellent solutions. Please give serious consideration to this feature, I will make Evernote even more powerful. 

If you want to know how that is done in terms of programing, ask the people at HighRise CRM, they did it recently for their soft. recently and users are sooooo happy. 

NOTE: I have been an evernote user since year one - This is the first time I request a feature. 

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, MikeGoHike said:

Being able to PIN or ANCHOR a note to the top of a notebook

As a workaround, have you ruled out the shortcuts area?

On 3/9/2016 at 4:13 PM, MikeGoHike said:

Being able to PIN or ANCHOR a note to the top of a notebook or a notebook is priceless.   I use the "Table of Content" feature constantly but we really need that table of content to stick to the top of the notebook,  otherwise we will end up searching for the table of content within hundreds of notes.  Imagine having the table of content of a book on page 231

I still don't get how this differs from a reminder. If you set a reminder for the Table of Contents note, it will pin the note to the very top, achieving exactly what you are describing (and there is no need to set a date...just click to set the reminder).

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Neil Rutledge said:

I still don't get how this differs from a reminder. If you set a reminder for the Table of Contents note, it will pin the note to the very top, achieving exactly what you are describing (and there is no need to set a date...just click to set the reminder).

I don't know about other people but I turned off this area . It was full of ..... reminder notes and took up too much space.
However I can see it the benefit
- pinned at the top
- it is organized by notebook, so it would show the the toc for each notebook.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't know about other people but I turned off this area . It was full of ..... reminder notes and took up too much space.
However I can see it the benefit - it is organized by notebook, so it would show the the toc for each notebook.

I use this approach all the time, and it works very well for me.

However, I use Evernote Reminders as real reminders for only a very few notes.  Almost all of my real reminders are in MS Outlook 2011, where they actually work as a reminder rather than a due date.

So I use Evernote Reminders to identify and quickly show the key notes associated with a notebook, or more importantly, a tag.
If I set a tag filter for "ProjectA", or similar, then the "reminders" show me the key notes for that project.

Yes, If I don't have any type of filter, then there are a lot of Reminders.  But I never use Reminders in that context.  I always set a notebook and/or tag filter first.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

However I can see it the benefit - it is organized by notebook, so it would show the the toc for each notebook.

In my case, I organize my notebooks to represent workflow buckets, and my tags represent areas/projects. I have a "Reference" notebook where reminders represent pinned notes and I have GTD context notebooks where reminders represent actions. For me, it works perfectly and gives me an Asana style list of tasks/reference items separated by notebook when I click on any project tag.

The fact that I can specify an ORDER to those reminders is what makes the feature so useful (and makes up for Evernote's extreme limitation of no custom sorting for non-reminders).

The only time there is a long list of reminders is when I have no filter, as @JMichaelTX pointed out -- this view is useless to me to begin with and never used.

Also, the visibility of reminders can instantly be toggled on/off as a whole or by notebook, for those cases where the section is in the way.

在 2015/12/23 在 AM11點03分, izoobil說:

Some background: I'm a medical student and have been using Evernote to organise my academic and personal life for the past year. Despite a few little flaws, I love how functional and well-integrated it is across my devices, and that its features improve with each update. I can't imagine organising anything without it anymore, and absolutely can't recommend it highly enough.

You can refer to this answer from ScottLougheed in this link: 

Changing modification date to 2100 may not work as expected, because when you modify that note again, the modification date will be set as the real time.

You can change the created date to 2100, and sort the notes by created date.

That would help you pin that note on top of list even if you revise it later.

Archived