Feature Request: PDF with separate page per picture

MrShlomo

Idea

Besides all the other awesomeness of Evernote, it also became my favorite document scanner app. If I "scan" multiple pages at once (with my iPhone), I usually want to eventually store them as a multi-page PDF. Instead, Evernote creates a single note with each photo (perfectly cropped, readability enhanced, and OCR scanned) as a separate image in the note. On the Mac, I can right-click somewhere in the note content and choose "Convert Note to PDF" but this creates a single-page PDF with all note content and selections (in particular the multiple images) stitched together as one long image.

Sometimes, it comes in handy to store the scan-enhanced photos as separate images but in most cases I really want a multi-page PDF out of those. Thus, it would be great if there would be some easy way of doing so on the iOS app and on the Mac. It could be a post-pricessing step or some checkbox in the photo-taking process on the iPhone or both. On the Mac, there is already the "File -> Save attachments to Folder" option. What about a "File -> Save attachments as PDF" option next to it? On the iOS app, when viewing a single note, this option could go into the "three dots" additional options menu, next to "Simplify Formatting".

I know that I can choose "File -> Print Note ..." on the Mac and select "PDF -> Save as ..." which comes close to what I want, despite that I have no control over the page breaks and it still puts the note's title at the top. I want each image from the note to fill the entire page, just as if I would have scanned these pages with a hardware scanner.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, DGW said:

Evernote's already got you covered... Check out Scannable in the App Store and set it to scan as a PDF

In case EN Scannable doesn't work out for you, there are many iOS apps that will scan all pages into one PDF, and then send to Evernote.

I realise this is an old thread, but that fact makes me wonder even more why it's still not possible to scan to PDF from within the Evernote mobile app. Is it just so we have to download and use Scannable? To make matters worse, the `Convert Note to PDF` contextual menu function in Evernote (for Mac - not sure about other platforms) renders multi-page notes as a single-page PDF, which is mind-boggling, and makes that function useless (to me, at least).

This is probably my number 1 annoyance with Evernote, as I use the scanning function several times a day and I need readable PDFs, which means I have to export individual pages and combine them in a PDF editor. Is it that difficult to either 1) implement the relevant Scannable functionality in the Evernote mobile app or 2) implement non-insane pagination for the `Convert Note to PDF` function?

I would prefer both, but either one would make me very happy.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, doonyakka said:

the `Convert Note to PDF` contextual menu function in Evernote (for Mac - not sure about other platforms) renders multi-page notes as a single-page PDF, which is mind-boggling, and renders that function useless (to me, at least).

Try print-to-pdf instead

>>wonder even more why it's still not possible to scan to PDF from within the Evernote mobile app.

There is a concept of not having a single bloated app, full of features not used by all

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

Try print-to-pdf instead

>>wonder even more why it's still not possible to scan to PDF from within the Evernote mobile app.

There is a concept of not having a single bloated app, full of features not used by all

Printing a note to PDF within Evernote usually results in oversized margins which can't be adjusted within the print dialog, since the scaling function rarely works well, if ever.

I appreciate avoiding bloat, but scanning to PDF seems like a very basic function of a scanner. I'd be surprised if scanning to a collection of unrelated jpegs were the more common use case.

Archived