(Archived) Our plan for Evernote on mobile devices - and poll

How would you like to use Evernote on your mobile phone?  

396 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to use Evernote on your mobile phone?

• I don't. Phones are for talking.
    • The simple, "no client" options sounds good to me. The less custom software, the better.
    • I need the "capture" client so I don't have to bother with email.
    • I'm gonna wait for the "full" client, because I enjoy the dirty looks I get when using my phone on an airplane.
    • Neural Implants Or Bust.

Our goal is to make Evernote your effortless, external brain. This means that you can capture and access your notes on any computer or mobile device. On relatively full-featured computers you'll have a choice between a native client (for Windows and Mac) and a full-featured web client that'll work with any major browser. As you know the Windows and Web clients are now in early beta and the Mac client is coming soon. What about the other half of that story?

Functionality on mobile devices will fall into three broad categories:

Type 1 - No Client

You can use Evernote from your mobile device without installing any custom software in three different ways. These are all available now and we'll be enhancing them actively over the next few months based on testing with many different types of phones and PDAs.

Mobile Web Browser:

Just point your built-in browser to http://preview.evernote.com/m/ and you can browse and search through your notes as well as enter new notes. You can adjust the settings to control thumbnails and the number of notes displayed per "page" to best fit your particular device. You can also execute "saved searches" from the mobile web client, so you can set up a complex search on the desktop and always have the results at hand on your phone.

Email Gateway:

When you created an Evernote account, you were given a special email address for sending notes, images and sound files into your account. You can see this address or change it from the "settings" page on the full web client. You can use this capability to email or SMS (via an email gateway) notes from your phone into your account, which can then be searched or browsed from anywhere.

IMAP:

If your mobile device has an IMAP client, you can configure it to point to your Evernote account and pull down your notes as IMAP folders. Depending on the specific implementation of your IMAP client, this should let you have locally-cached copies of your notes and allow for searching and browsing.

Type 2 - "Capture" Client

You can install a small Evernote client on some phones and mobile devices that makes it easy to create new notes and can be configured to automatically upload all (or some) photos and sound files into your Evernote account. These clients make your phone an ideal "capturing" device, since you don't have to worry about syncing or emailing notes. You just snap a picture or record a voice note using your phone's built-in media capabilities, and know that you'll always be able to find it later from any computer or device. It's like "fire and forget", but instead of forgetting, you remember.

In the current beta, such clients are available for Windows Pocket PC and Windows Mobile phones, but we'll also be releasing them for J2ME (including BlackBerry), Symbian, iPhone and Android in the future.

These small clients will not have local note storage or browsing capabilities - you'll have to use the browser or IMAP interfaces for that (described above), or wait until the next phase...

Type 3 - Full Client

Eventually, the "capture" clients will be extended into "full" clients by adding local storage, browsing and searching capabilities. The main advantage of the full client will be that you can access your notes without a live network connection and without having to rely on your IMAP. This type of client is not currently available in the beta, but we'll post more details about our development schedules as they become available.

Hopefully, there's enough "mobile" functionality now to satisfy a few people and more will be coming soon. Thanks again to the beta testers! You're making Evernote a better company every day.

I voted for the full client assuming that this will be the only version which will provide capturing of handwritten notes. If the capturing client will provide this already it might be a good compromise until the full version arrives.

I voted for the full client assuming that this will be the only version which will provide capturing of handwritten notes. If the capturing client will provide this already it might be a good compromise until the full version arrives.

Yes, Evernote for Windows Mobile (the capturing agent we currently have) has the ability to create ink notes and upload them to the Service, along with text notes, voice notes and snapshots.

The full mobile client would be something that I would use quite a bit. I don't care about the handwriting since my mobile device is a smartphone. I have been using the beta client for awhile now and have found it to be invaluable.

I've been using the old technical preview on Evernote for Windows Mobile. Reviewing information on my PPC is far more useful to me than creating it, althoiugh I do that also. And I just don't have the coverage to get 3G internet connection many places I travel to. In fact a lot of places have no coverage at all. So without a local database on the PPC Evernote is pretty useless to me. With the size of memorycards available I can't see why you wouldn't want this. The old technical preview with the ability to sync to the online data base is what I want.

Gordon

Same here. Two key uses for me on my mobile:

1) Be able to access/review my notes

2) Use camera to capture and easily import into EN

Reviewing information on my PPC is far more useful to me than creating it, althoiugh I do that also.

Gordon

Yes, Evernote for Windows Mobile (the capturing agent we currently have) has the ability to create ink notes and upload them to the Service, along with text notes, voice notes and snapshots.

Ink notes capturing is not yet comparable to the technology preview. The handling and the available tools of the technology preview should define the minimum quality for ink note capturing. At least a simple editing of written ink should be possible.

Text and ink notes should be editable as long they haven't been uploaded to the server, i.e. you can open a closed note in order to edit the text.

Ink notes are currently not readable when they were downloaded via email.

Just to point out that the Symbian OS is by far the leader in mobile operating systems. I would hope to see a client soon. I have used the mobile web version and it works great on the S60 OS. For the short time I have been using it I have been searching for notes. I don't see myself adding notes all that often via my mobile so a local client would be ideal for speed and the times when I don't have a good signal. The option to sync to my mobile device (Nokia N80) would be a great option over syncing with a USB drive which is what I have been using on v2.2. Yes I could just use the phone as just a memory device too. All in all a great upgrade and I continue to recommend Evernote to everyone as the best application I have ever used! Evernote 3 now kills Google Notebook.

Would very much like to be able to read all notes on my smartphone, store the DB locally in case i don't have a connection, and be able to "automatically" add pix taken from my phone's camera into Evernote as snapshots. Would also like to be able to manage notes (add, delete, tag, etc.). Can't wait :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've loved Evernote from the beginning, I like the new interface, but... I have a tiny gripe/question:

I know that the Web uploading thing makes the clients smaller and work better, but (and I know how difficult it is) sync between PC (tablet) and PPC it is necessary, specially when cell connectivity is spotty at best (like in some big cities) because of buildings, etc, etc.

I applaud the web syncing feature, but I think (only my humble opinion) that Activesync and/or other wired form of it should be explored.

I have beta tested for you several times and as I said, LOVE the product, I even have un-installed OneNote from my tablet...

JR

Let's not forget local DB syncing is not just for connectivity issue protection but ALSO for speed. even when i have great connectivity sometimes (busy network?) it takes annoyingly long to pull up a note that i want to get at quickly (mid meeting, at a stoplight, perhaps?).

Firefox crashed while I had a long note sitting here unsubmitted, so I'll make this blessedly short:

We'd all love a full-blown mobile client, but I bet it's a lot more practical (given limited time/money for development) to put most of the initial effort into a strong web client for mobile access, using insofar as is possible local browser data caching and Java. If the speed is okay, a fairly full client might even be available that way. But I don't know enough about how feasible it is to make browser data persist, or even ideally to have an instance of the mobile browser dedicated to EN3. (Maybe it's just impossible, e.g.)

I didn't answer the survey, because I want a full client when feasible, but I'll take a good mobile web system first, since that's easier, especially to cross so many different mobile platforms.

Of course, this is assuming I'll use EN 3, with its non-web-feature deprivation compared with EN 2.2 or OneNote.... :(

We'd all love a full-blown mobile client, but I bet it's a lot more practical (given limited time/money for development) to put most of the initial effort into a strong web client for mobile access, using insofar as is possible local browser data caching and Java. If the speed is okay, a fairly full client might even be available that way. But I don't know enough about how feasible it is to make browser data persist, or even ideally to have an instance of the mobile browser dedicated to EN3. (Maybe it's just impossible, e.g.)

Thing is, they already had a nearly complete client before. The 'old' mobile client worked great and did allow capture. It's only real issue was syncing back to the pc database. The 'new' mobile client is nearly worthless to me.

Full client only.

But should be able to access the notes on the mobile device too.

I'm one of those using a real PDA, not a smart phone, so I don't have any

way to connect to my online account while on the go.

The version I have installed now seems to not offer a way to come back to

my handwritten notes at all. :-(

Also, I hate web apps, so I will never use the web interface, and I'm

not confident to store my notes online. I want them at only two

locations: my laptop and my non-phone PDA.

So yes, please, release a full client for Windows Mobile. A client that

lets you edit and reopen your notes on the device (in order to search

them, to edit them), just like it was possible with version 2.2.

On 2.2., once handwritten notes and pictures were indexed on the

desktop part, they were also searchable on the device, without relying

on any internet connection.

I think that this should remain the case.

Steve

Beyond my vote for a full client, I want to urge you to make a Blackberry specific full client. Accessing my notes, even without pictures included, would take this from a cool app to center of my digital life. I would really like to search and add notes from my blackberry without going to a web interface.

I would have to vote for full client with local storage capability. As much as I like EN (2.2), I am not much for off-site storage of my personal data. A significant portion of my day is without wireless access and local storage is a must. Even, if I have to stay with EN Portable (2.1 or 2.2, I forget...) until support finally dies and then look elsewhere...

John

I have to agree, full client AND WITH ACTIVESYNC!!!

For years I had a PDA phone combination and liked them a lot. But a couple of years ago they made a major change to Windows on them, and also shrank the size of them, and now I can't stand them. At this point I use a regular Pocket PC (an ipaq) with ActiveSync, and a separate cell phone, and I'm not going back. My cell phone has no browser on it and that's how I want to keep it--simple.

I would love to be able to take handwritten notes in evernote on my ipaq and have them sync when I put my ipaq in its cradle.

The only use of my cell phone with evernote that might appeal to me, is phoned in transcription with Jot. In general I don't much like web apps but IF sync of transcribed spoken notes was fast and flawless between webapp and desktop, that might make me use the webapp.

Kye

• Level 5*

Full client, please, with ActiveSync or an alternative - I am beta testing the sync software for another database that doesn't use AS, so it is possible.

I share the concerns of others about security of online storage - I am not allowed to use the network at work for 'non work' activities, so a pda version would be ideal for me. Also, I travel a bit so web-free access would be good.

I have not seen any mention of plans for Palm OS. I know its the least popular but there are a lot of us and its no fun being left out. Is there not one of the possible configurations that could be readily useable on Palm OS devices?

The possibility of using my info on a Palm was one of the reasons I moved to EverNote in the first place. Alas, it was not to be - I believe they've completely dropped the Palm interface - you can probably find more info by searching the forum.

Kind of a bait and switch, really.

• Level 5*

Having had the full mobile client, the current one leaves a LOT to be desired. Offline access is a must. the Web UI is just too slow.

This is a nice to have, not a high priority, but it would be nice if the full client had the option to use either web data transfer or email. Some of our providers charge vastly different amounts based on whether we are using straight data transfer or email. As an example, some phone companies charge a flat rate for unlimited emails but charge a higher rate for data. Other companies I have seen have a flat rate for data but charge per email.

I hate to see extra effort go into trying to save a buck with our phone companies but if users really are going to be sending multiple pictures a day the costs might start to get in the way.

-Shane

I also voted for the full client and hope the fellow functions:

1. we can save our note in local handset which were downlosd form internet .

2. we can easily use our local pictures which was capture by our mobile when we write notes in handset

Well,

to say the truth, I decided to get back to 2.2

I use EverNote a lot on my iPaq PDA and I want to be able to take notes,

but especially, unlike in 3.0, I want to be able to get back to those notes,

open them.

What's the point of being able to take them, but not see them.

(Also, I won't use Web syncs)...

So sorry, but as long as I can't open my notes on my PocketPC PDA, I won't

switch.

"Yes, Evernote for Windows Mobile (the capturing agent we currently have) has the ability to create ink notes"

hmmm, what am i missing; i can't find any option to create INK on my windows mobile device (using wm 3.0.0.44 client)?

I voted full Client, but would also like a good Web only zero install client.

Reason being I use a Nokia N810 internet tablet. Runs a version of Linux called Meamo.

Very web oriented, but doubt you will be writing anything that will wprk with it specifically ?

Though the browser is mozilla based, so there may be some options perhaps.

Zuber

I would like to see a full client on Palm devices. I own a Treo 700P and so do many others.

And think of the million+ Centro owners out there as well.

Palm OS may be well-aged, but it certainly shouldn't be ignored...not yet.

If I could capture images via the Treo's camera directly into an Evernote client, I may just have to name my first-born after you guys!

I would like to see a full client on Palm devices. I own a Treo 700P and so do many others.

Thanks,

Tim

I'll second that! Tho' a capture client would be a nice step in that direction.

I very much like The Google maps client, and Gmail client I can run from my treo. I use Opera Mini and have been pretty happy with that. Opera Mini handles the Evernote Mobile site pretty well. FWIW.

Regards,

John

"Eventually, the "capture" clients will be extended into "full" clients by adding local storage, browsing and searching capabilities"

Any idea about WHEN that would be? Like other users, I absolutely need to be able to view/edit my notes, whether typed or inked, without accessing the internet.

Thanks a lot.

Same here - would love for the mobile version to permit me to edit AND search notes. This function still does not work on my WM5 device and I still get the "trusted certificate" error. Bothersome that there isn't a fix for this yet...

JM

I'm just curious to know if there is any update on this? It seems to have been posted two months ago and while I'd love to have a full client for my N95 (Symbian) even the capture app would be a huge improvement. But things seem to have gone quite on the subject...any word?

My main objective is to be able to get at my Evernotes no matter where I am or what platform I'm on, so from that perspective I'm already well served by the mobile web version. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to the version that will on the iPhone v.2.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm most interested in easily capturing notes from my WM6 samsung i760 device and then coming back to the PC and organizing them (also viewing on the mobile device is nice, but the browser has worked okay so far). I've installed the mobile client and my experience has been pretty flaky.

First time I installed I was having an issue where any note I created would upload over and over again -- creating the same note many times on the server/pc. I then had a crash that said I needed to reinstall and so I did.

The multiple upload problem seems to be gone, but I get flakyness when I create a new text note; i.e: sometimes the note gets created and queue's for upload and sometimes it doesn't. This leaves me with no confidence that a note I create will be uploaded. I really like the speed that I can create a new text note on the client (more than emailing it in) and I also like the format it arrives in, but without any confidence I can't use it.

Please advise any possible troubleshooting tips.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

P.S. A couple brief initial thoughts on the PC client. Would be nice if there was an option to put the reading pane to the right (like outlook). Would be nice if I could delete the columns I don't use (modification date, subject date, etc).

I currently use Evernote via my IMAP enabled iPhone. Works really great, however, I can no longer sync new notes, as I get an error message "Quota Reached". What is my quota, and how can I acquire more?

Your account quota is displayed on the "Settings" page when you log in to our web UI. The current limits are temporary for the beta period to ensure that testing goes smoothly.

We plan to offer greatly increased options in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

definitely convinced that I will not move to version 3.

Unless there is a way to use Evernote between my Windows desktop and my Windows Mobile WITHOUT having to use the web at all.

That means, just like in version 2.x on Windows Mobile, to be able to actually see and edit the notes captured on the PDA.

I know it's the trend today to move all the applications to the web. Personnaly I think it's a bad choice.

Web is not always handy and (this is a personal opinion), I never saw a pleasant Web application that looks nice and that works flawlessly.

Why not let the user choose?

I you want the web, well, go to the web.

If you want Windows->ActiveSync->Mobile version, let's use this.

Steve

My BlackBerry 8320 (wifi-equipped.. hint nudge) has an empty, lonely grey icon, waiting patiently for a green E to swoop down and fill it with rainbow streams of organizational yummy. In a perfect world, it would include search, upload and edit/tag capabilities. I think it would be wicked if instead of full local databases, we could choose to pull from a list of searched notes, to have selected local copies which would be synched whenever edited. Would save tons of space. Also this would allow the BB Evernote to act out my wildest fantasies -- to roleplay as a self-contained (and secure) web browser, except the only website it would access would be Evernote.com. The bestest would be if EN would act as a data refractor for my BB, allowing me to set up notes that interacted with my calendar, contacts, tasks, bills, etc. May the force be with you.

"I use Evernote to pop caps in all the hopeless chaoses gangbanging for supremacy in my brain."

How do you use Evernote?

Without a doubt, I looking forward to the full client on my iPhone.

In the meantime I have two issues with the new iPhone GUI:

1. I wanna be able to edit and add to my notes, not just create new ones. and,

2. Please, a choice of layouts. I don't like the 'thumbnail' view.

Most of my notes are text and the thumbnails are useless.

I'd much rather be able to see twice as many notes by title.

Dirtbagg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived