2 things that are holding Evernote from Massive Success & a Comeback (iPhone $ iPad)

Yes, It's no surprise to anyone that our beloved Evernote is fallen to criticism and much hardship recently. But with these two shifts, Evernote can be on the way to gaining back those who left & appeal more to those looking for the EVERNOTE features awesomeness. 

#1: "what you see is what you get !
"But I can't see you Ever Notes"! 

Evernote's font. For years people have urged Evernote to not only have different types of fonts but also different sizes. Each time I would recommend Evernote to unsuspecting person in my social circle. The complaint was the same, I can't see!
If Evernote wants to get more users it needs to offer more of the basic formatting options. Evernote has a killer feature set so unique that no other companies have (context, presentation mode, tagging with saved searches , ect) but lacks the versatility of basic customization that people crave. 

Presentation mode is amazing clean and better font text but the small size holds it back from unleashing the EVERNOTE goodness. 

People want to have unique fonts and sizes that are just as unique as the notes themselves. Having no fonts / sizes on the iPhone has set back Evernote for so long that it's time for a comeback with adding this long needed font update. 

#2: clear, intuitive & simple UI design in editor mode. I love all the tools and features that Evernote has to offer. That's what makes Evernote in a class of its own. However, the editor UI needs some updating. Keeping all the great features but in a more simplistic & quick UI. What holds people back Is difficultly getting to what they want ... quickly. 

Updating the look of bullet points, task boxes & numbering to a more modern style is a visual appeal that brings people back. 

I like the unique pop tool selection in Skitch (RIP Skitch:(). It saves on space but also unfolded all the tools I needed while conserving on digital real estate.

The point is that Evernote has all the amazing and modern features that anyone can ask for. But, the UI has held it back from popularity, even though it has in my opinion a a nice interface it has been bogged down by the small font & small outdated elements. 

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, OMNIZEN said:

urged Evernote to not only have different types of fonts but also different sizes.

On my Mac, I can select settings like font, size, colour.  The iPad options are more limited.

Yes. The Mac version is a lot more customizable. I thought the initial writeup I specified iPhone/iPad.  

Ttablet/phone is in need of updating. Not because it's behind per se. But because there is a lot of competition which were people have more options. I think that for Evernote to become more competitive it needs to address some of the communities concerns regarding iPhone and iPad requested features. If you look back, you would see some overwhelming requests for features on both iPhone and iPad that have gone unanswered. As a result, I think it's fair to say that people got frustrated and found something else. Or more simply, do not have a big enough reason to go premium. 

• Level 5*
On 12/22/2015 at 2:56 AM, OMNIZEN said:

Yes. The Mac version is a lot more customizable. I thought the initial writeup I specified iPhone/iPad.

I agree, the EN iOS app (iPhone/iPad) needs to fully support the same styles, including fonts, as does EN Mac and EN Win.

• 3 weeks later...

Using Evernote on an iPad Pro is extremely difficult because of the tiny font size, especially when I use the iPad Pro with a keyboard.  When using the keyboard and sitting in an upright position the distance between my eyes and the screen is relatively large and reading the text is strenuous.  My current workaround (apart from not using Evernote on the iPad Pro at all) is to create a note in Pages and then copy and paste in Evernote.

A "real" fix to the problem is necessary and would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
On January 11, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Gunty said:

Using Evernote on an iPad Pro is extremely difficult because of the tiny font size, especially when I use the iPad Pro with a keyboard.  When using the keyboard and sitting in an upright position the distance between my eyes and the screen is relatively large and reading the text is strenuous.  My current workaround (apart from not using Evernote on the iPad Pro at all) is to create a note in Pages and then copy and paste in Evernote.

A "real" fix to the problem is necessary and would be much appreciated.

I have the same issue. I have a keyboard with my iPad but trying to write such small font strains the eyes and interrupts workflow. I've given up on trying to write and even do some reading on the Evernote iPad client.  I only have it on the iPad now so I can clip/use extension. It is one of the most frustrating things because of how many other companies are able to  add custom font and size.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

I've given up on trying to write and even do some reading on the Evernote iPad client.  I only have it on the iPad now so I can clip/use extension

Yep, EN iPad is lacking many critical features and usability as compared with, say, EN Mac.  We've complained about this for years (really since the first EN iOS release), and there have been improvements, but it still falls far short.  I also see EN iPad and EN iPhone as mostly viewing/reading tools, with an occasional short note.  BTW, I love my three iPads.  I'm a big reader, and use the iPad Kindle app often.

That's one of the many reasons I continue to find my MacBook Air (11-in and 13-in) as much better mobile solutions where I will need to do serious content creation.  The MBA-11 has about the same form factor as in iPad (but with an exceptional keyboard).

Yes I've been holding out for EN to be more robust in reading writing on iPad / iPhone for years. And my opinions have fallen on deaf ears. 

But some positive news is a third party app called Alternote that uses EN features / service and just makes them look better. They should be coming out with mobile app in spring. But, you have to have both. Alternote is amazing looking and streamlined UI. But doesn't have all EN features. So I do reading and writing in alternote and my organizing / tagging in EN. It's the best workaround that I like given the circumstances. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, OMNIZEN said:

third party app called Alternote ...
So I do reading and writing in alternote and my organizing / tagging in EN. It's the best workaround that I like given the circumstances. 

>>Alternote
Note - Currently only available on the Mac platform; 9.99 CA$

Yes they are suppose to roll out iOS version in spring. I can't wait!  Mostly because writing / reading EN material on Mac throu Alternote is everything I want: distraction free mode, font and size customization, clean interface. Just sucks because the app doesn't contain all the features (pdf and audio) that are native of EN.  I really like what they've done because they saw EN didn't listen to community on desired features (font, more UI) and they designed app filling need. It's a great addition to my workflow & EN lovers alike. 

Archived