Evernote on Mac is so slow when using saved search filters!

I use two notebooks to keep track of my 'pending' and 'completed' tasks. Every note is tagged based on time and context, for example [now,work] , [next,home], [now,work, john] etc. In order to quickly find relevant notes, I pin some saved search filters in the evernote sidebar eg "notebook:pending tag:now tag:work'. This workflow is based on the GTD system described here.

Now to the point. For some weird reason, the mac version is horribly slow when sorting notes based on tag filters. 

Here is a video showing how evernote runs on my Mac (late 2013 mac book pro 15' with 512 SSD and 16 GB RAM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3bsjN-0vc&feature=youtu.be

And here is the evernote with the same set of notes running on a Windows machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBYL7OTdDEU&feature=youtu.be

I have just around 40 notes in the 'pending' notebook, and a total of ~60 tags, so I have no idea why the mac version feels so sluggish(and Mac Apps are known for their fluidity :| ). Even the web clients is a lot faster than the Mac version. 

Is any one experience something similar to this?  Any help is appreciated! 

On 12/20/2015 at 7:52 AM, tmsbn said:

I use two notebooks to keep track of my 'pending' and 'completed' tasks. Every note is tagged based on time and context, for example [now,work] , [next,home], [now,work, john] etc. In order to quickly find relevant notes, I pin some saved search filters in the evernote sidebar eg "notebook:pending tag:now tag:work'. This workflow is based on the GTD system described here.

Now to the point. For some weird reason, the mac version is horribly slow when sorting notes based on tag filters. 

Here is a video showing how evernote runs on my Mac (late 2013 mac book pro 15' with 512 SSD and 16 GB RAM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3bsjN-0vc&feature=youtu.be

And here is the evernote with the same set of notes running on a Windows machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBYL7OTdDEU&feature=youtu.be

I have just around 40 notes in the 'pending' notebook, and a total of ~60 tags, so I have no idea why the mac version feels so sluggish(and Mac Apps are known for their fluidity :| ). Even the web clients is a lot faster than the Mac version. 

Is any one experience something similar to this?  Any help is appreciated! 

Sorry the YouTube videos wouldn't play for me so I wasn't really able to see the performance issues but I don't need to see them to understand that they are underperforming from  your perception which is all that matters.  We have been making a bunch of changes to search so it's possible there could have been a regression in this area.  I'm sure you've done this but please make sure to reboot the machine and Evernote to ensure that all the memory is freed up.  It's possible there is a memory leak that could cause things to slow down.  Also make sure there is enough free local storage for us to write to disk if we need to.  I'll mention your forum post to our test and dev teams to see if we can reproduce the issue in house.  If others are also seeing this issue then please report back to this forums post so we know there are others running into this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2015 at 10:13 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

Sorry the YouTube videos wouldn't play for me so I wasn't really able to see the performance issues but I don't need to see them to understand that they are underperforming from  your perception which is all that matters.  We have been making a bunch of changes to search so it's possible there could have been a regression in this area.  I'm sure you've done this but please make sure to reboot the machine and Evernote to ensure that all the memory is freed up.  It's possible there is a memory leak that could cause things to slow down.  Also make sure there is enough free local storage for us to write to disk if we need to.  I'll mention your forum post to our test and dev teams to see if we can reproduce the issue in house.  If others are also seeing this issue then please report back to this forums post so we know there are others running into this issue.

Thank you for the reply Marcus! I have come to some baffling conclusions after further troubleshooting this issue. 

As you know, your saved searches are listed in the dropdown that appears when you click on the search box[search dropdown.png]. The user can drag these saved searches into the sidebar to add as them as shortcuts[sidebar.png].

Strangely, when I click on the saved searches from the search drop down, the sorting happens in an instant, but when I use the saved search shortcuts on the sidebar, there is ALWAYS a one second delay before the sorting happens[video] So I have to conclude that, this delay has more to do with how the sidebar handles the saved search shortcuts rather than the evernote search.

I hope this provides you sufficient information to reproduce and debug this issue.  

Here is a link to a video showing demonstrating the problem.

search dropdown.png

sidebar.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived