Jump to content
Michael1961

Creating INBOX outside of Notebooks

Recommended Posts

Hello,

1. I'm new to Evernote (Apple, OSX 10.11.2 El Capitan, Evernote 6.3).  I'm trying to create an INBOX where I can dump all new content and sort it out later.  However, each time I create INBOX note ... with "Notes" highlighted .... it puts INBOX in one of my existing Notebooks.  I want INBOX to be outside of all notebooks as a stand alone Note.  (This idea came from an article I read.)  Why does it keep putting my new INBOX Note in one ... and apparently only one ... of my existing Notebooks?  I'm careful to look at the title bar to be sure it says Notes, not one of my Notebook titles.

 

2. How come when I click on a Notebook title, "Notes" is then highlighted?  This makes no sense because, if you didn't look at the title of the listed notes,  you wouldn't know you were in the proper Notebook.  I suggest Evernote change this so that when you click on a Notebook, it is highlighted and the list of Notes in that Notebook are then listed. 

 

3. Can I make deeper hierarchy by creating Notes within Notebooks within Notebooks?  I see how that would be helpful as I build my Evernote world.

 

Thanks!

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Michael1961 said:

Hello,

1. I'm new to Evernote (Apple, OSX 10.11.2 El Capitan, Evernote 6.3).  I'm trying to create an INBOX where I can dump all new content and sort it out later.  However, each time I create INBOX note ... with "Notes" highlighted .... it puts INBOX in one of my existing Notebooks.  I want INBOX to be outside of all notebooks as a stand alone Note.  (This idea came from an article I read.)  Why does it keep putting my new INBOX Note in one ... and apparently only one ... of my existing Notebooks?  I'm careful to look at the title bar to be sure it says Notes, not one of my Notebook titles.

Notes always need a notebook as container. You can not create a note outside notebooks. INBOX is the standard notebook used for all notes when no notebook is specified.

 

15 minutes ago, Michael1961 said:

2. How come when I click on a Notebook title, "Notes" is then highlighted?  This makes no sense because, if you didn't look at the title of the listed notes,  you wouldn't know you were in the proper Notebook.  I suggest Evernote change this so that when you click on a Notebook, it is highlighted and the list of Notes in that Notebook are then listed. 

I agree, a selected notebook should remain highlighted. I also get confused very often by this and it was mentioned quite a number of times in the forum.

 

15 minutes ago, Michael1961 said:

3. Can I make deeper hierarchy by creating Notes within Notebooks within Notebooks?  I see how that would be helpful as I build my Evernote world.

You can create one extra level, called stacks. You only can put notebooks in a stack no notes and no other stacks. Notebooks can not be children of other notebooks only children of stacks. Like this:

stack 1

    notebook 1_1

    notebook 1_2

    ....

stack 2

    notebook 2_1

    notebook 2_2

    ....

   

 

15 minutes ago, Michael1961 said:

Thanks!

Michael

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, Stuhrer for the answers above.  Follow up questions:

  • How can I best choose a place for INBOX to land that's convenient?  Right now, it's in my Medical Notebook for some reason.
  • So, wherever that INBOX is found you are saying that it's the default, right???

Thanks!

Michael

Share this post


Link to post

You can set up a "default notebook" In Evernote preferences. I have named my default notebook .inbox so that it is always at the top of the notebook list. 

As the "Default notebook", this is where Evernote puts anything you add that it doesn't know what to do with (such as if you add it from a third-party application that doesn't let you specify a notebook). This is a behaviour of Evernote. 

As my "inbox" notebook, it is where I place all the things I want to sort out later. This is a personal behaviour, it defines the way I treat this specific notebook, which also happens to be the "Evernote Default Notebook". 

 

You do not need to make your inbox the default notebook, but I tend to like it that way because sometimes when I am adding content I just don't need to think about where it is going, or should something go wrong with my attempt to select a notebook upon capturing (e.g., I mis-type the name of the notebook in an email subject line as I email a note into Evernote), I know it will always go to my .inbox, which I check on a very regular basis. So that's the major advantage of having your inbox also be the Evernote Default notebook.

Share this post


Link to post

×
×
  • Create New...