New Forum Feedback

JMichaelTX

• Level 5*

RE:  Welcome to the new Evernote Discussion Forums 

Geoff, my immediate impression is:

Awesome-Thumbs-up.gif

And @JMichael—you requested this, and it’s now available: you can select a block of text and hover over to quote it. Try it out, it's pretty cool. 

Thank you so much.  it is very cool, and very useful.  This will allow users to easily and quickly select just the part of a post they want to respond to.  Yea!

The other biggie for me, is how easy the pages are to read.  They are both easy to read, and look very nice.  Another, big, big, THANK YOU!.  

(Note: reposted this in the General Discussions forum after I discovered that I accidently posted it in the Announcements forum.)

7 minutes ago, JMichael said:
  • All existing threads seem to have double spacing between paragraphs.
  • When posting the initial topic, the full formatting toolbar is not shown.
  • Don't see the "Preview" button now

Adding this to the list to review tomorrow. Will look into all of them. 

And thanks for the kind words! We worked pretty dang hard on this. Still lots to do, but it's good to have it out the door. 

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, gbarry said:

And thanks for the kind words! We worked pretty dang hard on this. Still lots to do, but it's good to have it out the door. 

Overall looks good. It seems the issue where quoting a quote that was a quote that was a quote has been eliminated. The only problem is sometimes that loses some context. I always jumped into the text mode to edit it down to the relevant quotes, and don't see a way to do that in the new forum, but judging by the massive level of nested quotes I've seen, not many bothered to do that, or knew it was possible.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, EdH said:

It seems the issue where quoting a quote that was a quote that was a quote has been eliminated.

@gbarry:  Some more glitches:

1. Just now, when I selected just the above portion of EdH's post, and clicked on "Quote This", it quoted his entire post.
  2. The quote blocks for existing threads seem to have disappeared.  The quote text is there, but no indication that is is a quote.  See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/90900-evernote-for-mac-63-released/?do=findComment&comment=388747 as an example.
  3. Although I generally avoid it, sometime you do need to quote the entire multi-quote block of a previous post.  This doesn't seem to work now when you click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of each post.
  • Level 5*

@gbarry:  Some more:

1. It is not showing all of of Private Messages
  2. The Indent and Outdent buttons are missing from the formatting toolbar.
  3. The Insert Image button is missing
  4. The Reveal BBC Codes button is missing
  5. The Font Family/Name dropdown is missing
  6. The Insert Code Block button is missing

I'm trying to post a screenshot, but can't find any button or tool to do that.

After I submit, and then edit, then the "INSERT OTHER MEDIA" button shows up.

EN-Forum-New-Conversations.png

• Level 5*

It isn't remembering I am signed in. I logged in to post last night, closed the tab in Safari, close my macbook, and went to bed. Woke up this morning and clicked on an email link and it took me to the article, but I wasn't logged in. When I did log in - which didn't require a password by the way, just pressing login seemed to work - it took me to a generic page, not the post I was at.

• Level 5*

Unless I'm missing it, the show last message and mark as read options are gone.  These were helpful if you didn't want to cycle back and forth from an unread list to the topic, particularly for topics of no interest to you.  

However, on the plus side the go to next unread topic option at the bottom of a topic is nice addition, again, assuming I didn't miss them in the old version.  Though it would be better to go forward and backward depending on how one likes to run through the list. 

• Level 5*

When you get to your last unread topic you can press the unread button as often as you like and you stay on that topic.  Seems it should transfer to an empty list.  

EDIT: I take it back.  The second time I did this I did get the empty list page.  The first time it was a @gazumped post, maybe that was the problem.  ;)

• Level 5
11 hours ago, JMichael said:

The other biggie for me, is how easy the pages are to read.  They are both easy to read, and look very nice.  

Frankly, I am not sure how much longer I will be able to participate in this new forum. It might look great for young people with eagle eyesight, but the faint green font colors make it a struggle to view. I realize that faded green is the Evernote corporate color, so I am just spitting into the wind. 

And because I view posts in full-screen mode, the missing horizontal line makes it difficult to move from the left side (topics) to the right side (replies).

Evernote faded green.png

You're not the only one :) and I am a 30-something with quite good eyes. The list of topics/threads in a forum is indeed difficult to read. Not much contrast. Overall the lay-out is quite white. Also: the blocks with the page numbers (when a topic has more than one page for example) are also difficult to read.

However, when you are in a topic (this one for instance), the text of the posts are good to read :). It feels more modern and clean. If there could be more contrast/less white, it would be perfect.

• gbarry pinned this topic
13 hours ago, JMichael said:
  • Just now, when I selected just the above portion of EdH's post, and clicked on "Quote This", it quoted his entire post.
  • The quote blocks for existing threads seem to have disappeared.  The quote text is there, but no indication that is is a quote.  See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/90900-evernote-for-mac-63-released/?do=findComment&comment=388747 as an example.
  • Although I generally avoid it, sometime you do need to quote the entire multi-quote block of a previous post.  This doesn't seem to work now when you click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of each post.
  • Hmmm, haven't been able to reproduce this just yet. 
  • These should now be there. The site has some background processes running to rebuild the site and that was one of them. Looks good now.
  • This was by design to remove block pyramids, which just explode the length of threads. 
14 hours ago, JMichael said:
  • All existing threads seem to have double spacing between paragraphs.
  • When posting the initial topic, the full formatting toolbar is not shown.
  • Don't see the "Preview" button now
  • Yeah, this is the difference between a double carriage return and a new paragraph
  • We've updated the WYSIWIG, is there an improvement there? 
  • "Preview" was removed with the implementation of the WYSIWIG
13 hours ago, JMichael said:
  • It is not showing all of of Private Messages
  • The Indent and Outdent buttons are missing from the formatting toolbar.
  • The Insert Image button is missing
  • The Reveal BBC Codes button is missing
  • The Font Family/Name dropdown is missing
  • The Insert Code Block button is missing
  • All of my PMs have reappeared. Can you recheck? This was likely a background process and just wasn't completed. @g2ews can you check again as well? Seeing all of mine at this point. 
  • Will work on adding them back
  • The insert image button is unfortunately a part of "insert other media" button at bottom right. Not optimal but that's where it's at. 
  • BB codes are gone with this implementation. But we can build emoji's galore :)
  • I'll look at adding this back in. 
  • Will add this back in. 
7 hours ago, EdH said:

It isn't remembering I am signed in. I logged in to post last night, closed the tab in Safari, close my macbook, and went to bed. Woke up this morning and clicked on an email link and it took me to the article, but I wasn't logged in. When I did log in - which didn't require a password by the way, just pressing login seemed to work - it took me to a generic page, not the post I was at.

Your cookie was still active b/c you didnt sign out. We had to make a change during SSO testing on the staged site that impacted relogging you back into your start page, let me look at fixing. 

1 hour ago, gbarry said:
  • All of my PMs have reappeared. Can you recheck? This was likely a background process and just wasn't completed. @g2ews can you check again as well? Seeing all of mine at this point. 

Hi Geoff,

Checked and still not there.

I see my avatar, which was there this morning has disappeared as well.

Regards

Chris

Guest CharlesW
11 minutes ago, g2ews said:

Trying to see how to look at or change my avatar and cannot see anything in my profile or account info that allows me to do this.

Chris

Just click your name in the top right and then click the edit icon on your photo. 

Guest CharlesW
1 minute ago, Metrodon said:

It's quite annoying not being able to see how many pages in a thread and then having to go to the first page of a thread even though I want to go to the last...

If you click the little circle to the left it will take you to the first unread reply in the topic. It only shows if you have not read every post in a topic.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, CharlesW said:

If you click the little circle to the left it will take you to the first unread reply in the topic. It only shows if you have not read every post in a topic.

Weirdly, I can see page numbers in the Windows forums but not in the Mac forums. Anyone else seen the same?

6 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Frankly, I am not sure how much longer I will be able to participate in this new forum. It might look great for young people with eagle eyesight, but the faint green font colors make it a struggle to view. I realize that faded green is the Evernote corporate color, so I am just spitting into the wind. 

We're taking a look at legibility across the entire site and will be reviewing all of the feedback gathered. 

44 minutes ago, JMichael said:
  • I'm not getting email notifications on threads/forums I was subscribed to prior to the update
  • Select All (CMD+A) does NOT work when creating/editing a post.

Investigating. I made a settings adjustment that *may* fix notifications, but not sure, still looking into this. 

32 minutes ago, JMichael said:

Mac forums are missing the very important and useful last post name/date:

This is actually by design. The "product feedback" forum we envision to be a space where users submit and discuss ideas, and vote up those ideas. If you look at Mac Help it should have the last post name/date, just like the Windows Help forum. The two spaces have different functions and purposes, so operate slightly differently from eachother. I'm really excited about the product feedback voting and where we can take that to provide stronger feedback on what the community values with each product. 

Still looking into PMs, and I'm wondering if some of the "disappeared" avatars were gravatars...

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, gbarry said:

This is actually by design. The "product feedback" forum we envision to be a space where users submit and discuss ideas, and vote up those ideas.

That fine, but I don't see the point of removing the last post name/date.  There's plenty of room for it.

When I scan the forum list of topics, I often want to go to the last post.  Please add it back.

• Level 5

I am seeing quite a bit more spam with the new forum.

Also, the Moderation Actions button does not appear on all the spam messages. I estimate 1/3rd of the spam messages this morning did not have the Moderation Actions feature.

• Level 5*

@gbarry:  Glitches that continue:

1. EMail Notifications -- I'm not receiving any for threads/forums subscribed to before or after the new forum
  2. Sign In -- is being required much more frequently than before, and when you sign in it doesn't return you to the page you were on.
  3. Missing Private Messages -- still missing
  4. Select All (menu or CMD+A) in Forum Editor -- doesn't work in some forums, like the General Discussion, but does work in the Windows forum.
  5. Std Mac Shortcuts, like CMD+UpArrow -- like Select All, it doesn't work, the cursor doesn't move, in the Editor of some forums.
  • Level 5*

@gbarry:  Major Glitch:  All Links to Posts within a thread are now broken

This is a major issue, IMO.  I have tons of EN Notes with links to specific posts and all these links are now broken.

There are many posts made prior to the update that had links to other posts.

Here's an example:

OLD LINK:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/90900-evernote-for-mac-63-released/?p=388591
NEW LINK:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/90900-evernote-for-mac-63-released/?do=findComment&comment=388591

The New Link is the link now being used for a post made prior to the update.

Please restore the post links as they were prior to the update.

• Level 5*
On 12/17/2015 at 10:08 PM, JMichael said:

The other biggie for me, is how easy the pages are to read.  They are both easy to read, and look very nice.  Another, big, big, THANK YOU!.  

@gbarry, sorry, but I now have to retract this statement.  I am now finding a lot of the text to be too low contract to quickly and comfortably read.  Please make the green in the links to be a darker green.

I'm not sure why it initially appeared so readable.  Maybe I was just having an exceptional clear eye day.  But after having used the new forum for nearly a week now, like @jbenson2, I'm finding it a strain on my eyes to read for more than a minute or so.  I do think you have made other changes that help the readability of the forum over the old version.  Just need a few tweaks now.

Screenshot:

EN-New-Forum-Low-Contrast-Text.png

• Level 5*

@gbarry:  Issues with the "Sort by" Button

The "Sort by" button is confusing and misleading.  I never occurred to me that it also contains filters.  After days of searching for the "Filter" button we had in the old forum, I finally clicked it and discovered the filters I was looking for.

Please change the "Sort by" to "Filter by" or "Filter & Sort by".

EN-New-Forum-Sort-Filter.png

Also, there is a BUG in the Filter by "Last Reply of Today"

EN-New-Forum-Custom-Sort-Filter.png

• Level 5
On 12/18/2015 at 9:46 AM, jbenson2 said:

I am seeing quite a bit more spam with the new forum.

Also, the Moderation Actions button does not appear on all the spam messages. I estimate 1/3rd of the spam messages this morning did not have the Moderation Actions feature.

I am seeing more and more spam that cannot be moderated.

For instance

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/91211-sell-cvv-good-fresh-2015-icq-666564689/

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Sometimes the moderator icon (spam button) is at the top, other times it is on the bottom, and other times I can't find it anywhere.

That's called an "easter egg", isn't it?  :ph34r:

18 hours ago, JMichael said:

@gbarry, sorry, but I now have to retract this statement.  I am now finding a lot of the text to be too low contract to quickly and comfortably read.  Please make the green in the links to be a darker green.

These nearly 80 year old eyes can manage the pale green font. Not great but I can manage.  It is not a deal killer.  OTOH, the faded fonts are challenging and incredibly tiring.  First year design students learn "Form follows function."  If it can't be read, it doesn't matter how pretty it is.  Use green in the trim but not in the text.

Really like the new forum generally.  I didn't understand the navigation very quickly but I am learning.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, semobill said:

First year design students learn "Form follows function."  If it can't be read, it doesn't matter how pretty it is

Exactly.  Evernote should print this in large bold letters, and place on top of every designer's monitor.  For a great demo of this, see Contrast Rebellion .

• Level 5*

@gbarry:  Glitches Continue

Sorry to keep harping on these two, but the combination makes it a real PITA to follow the forums:

1. Still not receiving any email notifications
  2. Changing the "Sort by" to show only posts since my last visit doesn't stick.  Every time I go back to the forum, I have to reset this.  This worked great in the old forum.
  • Level 5*

I'm seeing non-English posts, and foreign discussion forums, for example Spanish Discussions.

Not sure if it was intentional.  Google Translate is useful for these, but it does interrupt the flow.

•  
  • Level 5*

The one thing I can't figure out how to do easily is to start with the oldest post and work my way forward.  There is a next unread topic link on some pages or an unread and 4 different other ways to go to unread, but missing the mark as read that existed in the old forum.  Not that big a deal I suppose, just get used to reverse chronological.  That and which of the Unreads.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, csihilling said:

If I could but find the Sort by button....  :blush:

Not sure if you're kidding.  But JIC:  Top right side of the topic list in every forum.
You can always do a browser find of "sort by"  LOL

I’ve got a bulk update for y’all:
  • Gravatars - are back. You may need to reactivate though--I'm not sure if the connection to Gravatar needs to be re-established or not. Don't have a test account w/ Gravatar activated. 
  • Email notifications should be working again
  • Updates made to signatures and mod permissions, but this should only affect Gurus/member mods—check for a “check box” to the right of each thread and you should be able to see hide/move. 
  • Signing in takes you to the same page you were viewing—this is getting worked on
  • Checking on direct post links being broken
  • Still looking into missing PMs and avatars
  • Design update requests are noted for review
  • I’ve got a reported log in issue (different from  that I’m looking into
Follow up questions or can’t reproduce:
  • Sign in frequency—are you actually losing the cookie mid-session, and you haven’t closed your browser, logged into another Evernote account from the same browser, or turning off the computer?
  • Not able to reproduce the CMD-A problem on any part of the forum
  • Not able to reproduce the CMD-Up-arrow (page up, page down) and appears to be working in editor
All design suggestions are noted for me to go over in bulk.

We have new spam controls that actually work with Invision’s anti-spam system. These features either take a while to work themselves into efficacy, or they are not working. I’m hopping on regularly, filtering for all activity, and then clearing out spammish. Old schoolers will note we’ve had a some spam problems before, and I don’t want to ever go back again :angry:

The big one was email notifications, in my humble opinion. All my testing shows that’s working, but let me know if they’ve been engaged at this point and you're starting to see them come through. Pushed some changes a few hours ago. 
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, JMichael said:

Not sure if you're kidding.  But JIC:  Top right side of the topic list in every forum.
You can always do a browser find of "sort by"  LOL

Ah, that's where it is.  Unfortunately I go through unread for the forums I follow in bulk, not by forum, so I didn't see the option.  No sort option on the blened screen that I can see.  Oh well,  Thanks anyway.

EDIT:  Found it.  When you select a stream, there is an edit this stream option, click on that and there is a sort drop down for oldest or newest first. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gbarry said:

I’ve got a bulk update for y’all:

Thanks for all the fixes.  Email notifies are starting to come in now.

1 hour ago, gbarry said:
  • Not able to reproduce the CMD-A problem on any part of the forum
  • Not able to reproduce the CMD-Up-arrow (page up, page down) and appears to be working in editor

Just tested this again in the Mac Help forum:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/91282-how-to-remove-annotation-summary/

I did a quote of the last msg, and typed a few lines, then tried both a CMD-A and CMD-UP while in the EDITOR block.  Neither worked, literally, nothing happened, no movement of the cursor at all.
Inside of an edit block, CMD-A should select all of the edit area ONLY, not the whole page.   
CMD-UP CMD-DWN should go to the top and bottom of the edit area, respectively.

OK, now the CMD-A is NOT selecting all of the edit window in this post.  Previously it seems to work in this forum, but not now!?!?!  Don't have any idea why, or what's changed.  Even a manual click and drag to select everytging isn't working properly.

I using Chrome Version 47.0.2526.106 (64-bit) on Yosemite (10.10.5).

1 hour ago, gbarry said:

Sign in frequency—are you actually losing the cookie mid-session, and you haven’t closed your browser, logged into another Evernote account from the same browser, or turning off the computer?

For me this happens after I have closed all discussion.evernote.com windows/tabs (but left Chrome running), and not come back for an hour or more.

• Level 5*

Is any work being done to remember that i am logged in, or when you log in to take you back to the discussion you were in? This is how it works for me right now:

• click link in email.
  • wait for mandrillapp.com to redirect me to the EN discussion forums. (I do not like this by the way. I don't know why our usage needs to be tracked by the company that owns MailChimp.)
  • See I am not logged in.
  • get redirected to the forum front page.
  • close the tab.
  • go back to my email
  • click the link
  • wait for mandrillapp.com to redirect me to the EN discussion forum.

Not fun.

• Level 5*

@gbarry,

Email to post to login still does not return to the post.

Also, changing the sort on the general unread stream does not seem to stick for me.  By design or am I fat fingering something?

Other than that, getting used to it.  Would like a next thread in my stream option, only in forum as far as I can tell.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, EdH said:
  • get redirected to the forum front page.
  • close the tab.
  • go back to my email
  • click the link
  • wait for mandrillapp.com to redirect me to the EN discussion forum.

@EdH:  I agree this is a real PITA that needs to get fixed ASAP.

Until then, you can just hit the browser back button after you log in to take you back to the original page.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

@EdH:  I agree this is a real PITA that needs to get fixed ASAP.

Until then, you can just hit the browser back button after you log in to take you back to the original page.

Ahh. that does work. That did not work originally. I kept going back to the original message, but it showed me as not signed in. So still not ideal, but a bit better.

• Level 5*

well, something is really messed up now. Sometimes I am getting forced quoting when I just hit "reply" , and I am getting a server 500 error when I press submit, and then it gets double posted.

• Level 5*

@gbarry:  I tried using "quote this", but it didn't work.  It kept showing a blank quote block by EdH.

• Sign in frequency—are you actually losing the cookie mid-session, and you haven’t closed your browser, logged into another Evernote account from the same browser, or turning off the computer?

This is still a significant issue.  It is requiring me to "sign in" after about an hour of inactivity, even though the browser is still top to this forum.

• Level 5*

Import restrictions seem harsh.  Im getting the message There was a problem processing the uploaded file. You can only upload a total of 0MB

This was both on replying to posts, and I wanted to update my picture (currently resembles someone in the Witness Protection Program)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year y'all. Some new forum updates--we're working on returning you to the referral link at log in. That's priority one after taking care of some SSO issues which were resolved yesterday. 

• SSO fix was implemented yesterday to fix issues with community registration
  • Some of you were receiving notifications for new posts in our community announcements forum that were not actually community announcements. That's been fixed with a permissions adjustment. 
  • The hook that was forcing some double/triple posting late into the holidays has been fixed--that was an overly aggressive spam hook that I'm (still) testing to try to permanently fix some of the spam issues we've seen with transition. 
  • Fixed junk activity feeds in "My Activity Streams" 
  • New FURLS breaking old direct to single post links (not to the whole thread) should be fixed
  • @DTLow: shot you a belated email via support ticket for this--you should be able to update your picture via updating your profile, rather than your "about me" section. In some areas of the profile we limit images, like your signature. Unfortunately the error message the forum presents here reflects the setting and not something more helpful. While some forums like for people to stuff banners in their sigs, I'm of the opinion I would rather read the content than repeated sig images :)

I'll continue to update this thread as we tackle adjustments to the forum. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Is anything being done where when we click on a link in an email notification, it will remember who we are, and if we have to log in, after logging in we actually get taken to the link we clicked on?

• Level 5*

@gbarry, how's it going with the forum fix list?  Haven't seen much activity or changes in the last couple of weeks.

I show the following issues still have not been fixed:

1. Click on email notification link does NOT go to post after login
  2. Sign in frequency is too high, required after less than 1 hr of inactivity
  3. Product Feedback forums are still missing last post name/date
  4. Links to posts prior to update don't work
  5. "Select All" while creating/editing a post does not always work
  6. Std Mac Shortcuts, like CMD+UpArrow -- like Select All, it doesn't work, the cursor doesn't move, in the Editor of some forums.
  7. Issues with the "Sort by" Button remain.
  8. Changing the "Sort by" to show only posts since my last visit doesn't stick.
  9. Moderators can no longer change topic title or add tags.
  10. Readability is still an issue.  Just making the light green text a dark green would be a huge help.
  11. Need a General Discussion section/feature where requests common to multiple platforms can be voted on.
  12. All pre-existing threads seem to have double spacing between paragraphs.
  13. The PM list of existing msg is still not nearly as useful/friendly as prior to forum upgrade.
  14. Product Feedback forums don't offer a way to go to last page/last post of the topic/idea from the topic list page
  15. Inconsistent display of topic paging
    1. Product Feedback forums show paging AFTER the OP
    2. Help forums show it at the top, ABOVE the OP
    3. Please make all show at the TOP, ABOVE the OP
  16. The Product Feedback forums repeat the OP on every page. 
    1. This is not needed, and wastes valuable space and time to always scroll down
  17. others?

To:  All Members
If I missed a forum issue you have identified that still has not been fixed, please post below.
  • Level 5*

@gbarry:  Request:  Redesign Forum Pages to Remove Excessive White Space at Top of Every page

The current design uses about 2/3 of a large screen (height: 1152) before the real content is shown.
I believe the page could easily be redesigned to clearly show the information at the top without so much white space.
At the most, a max of 1/3 of the page should be used by this.  The goal should be 1/4 or less.
Example screenshot:

EN-Forum-New-Wasted-Space-at-top.png

Thanks for compiling these--it looks like I have them all documented, and our priorities *roughly* match up. #1 will be addressed in a two step process--we have a service release next week that will update the SSO so our vendor can make the necessary changes to the SSO to make sure the redirect at login works. At that time I'm also looking to address #2 in a bulk review of the SSO with our vendor--I agree the sign in frequency is too high, especially since the cookie is retained.

Is #4 not resolved with our fix to FURLs? Can you toss me a thread where a discussion forum link is broken? 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gbarry said:

Thanks for compiling these--it looks like I have them all documented, and our priorities *roughly* match up.

You're welcome.  Thanks for confirming list.

1 hour ago, gbarry said:

s #4 not resolved with our fix to FURLs? Can you toss me a thread where a discussion forum link is broken? 

Nope, not resolved.  Here's a link from page 2 of this thread:

On 12/18/2015 at 3:08 AM, JMichaelTX said:

This key topic seems to be missing or inaccessible:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/67849-mac-data-location/#entry311041

It's a post showing how to find the location of your Mac data folder, and is referred to in many other "how to" posts.

I want to add another issue:

- I'm reading a topic (doesn't matter which one, it happens with every topic), not logged in. I decide to make a reply, so I sign in. Normally, you should be taken back to the topic after that, but that doesn't happen.

• Level 5*
On 12/21/2015 at 4:21 PM, gbarry said:
Follow up questions or can’t reproduce:

If I browse the forum, as I am doing now, and leave the browser open, if I come back in a few hours, I'll be logged out. This is despite an initial login with authentication code and ticking the box to keep me logged in for 30 days.

So, browser open, logged into only one EN account, and computer on (does sleep count? Its a laptop). 

Edit: Even without the laptop going to sleep, I'll get automatically logged out of the EN forum.

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/21/2016 at 2:59 PM, JMichaelTX said:
  • Click on email notification link does NOT go to post after login
  • Sign in frequency is too high, required after less than 1 hr of inactivity

Took a little longer than expected, but we've successfully taken care of #1 and made changes to fix the aggressiveness of #2. I haven't had enough time to really see if the changes to the SSO improve #2 (relates directly to your report @tavor ) but please do let me know if you all see an improvement. 

I'm going to take a look at the rest of the list and see what can be tackled, but I'm happy we've resolved the log in referral issue. Should make email notifications pain free. 

On a slightly fun note, our forum supports custom emojis which are super quick to implement. Should definitely have the EN logo in there. I'm wondering what else? 

• Level 5*

Just tried #1 using the email for this post.  It returned me to the topic (page 1), but not the post.  This the intended behavior?

EDIT:  On a single page topic it took me to the post.

EDIT of the EDIT:  Tried again and it seems all log-ins go to the first post of the topic.  (I was probably already logged in and didn't realize it the first time)

3 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Just tried #1 using the email for this post.  It returned me to the topic (page 1) but not the post.  That the intended behavior?

Good question. Let me check if this is a limitation or something we can adjust. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Just tried #1 using the email for this post.  It returned me to the topic (page 1), but not the post.

I see the same behavior using Chrome  48.0.2564.97 (64-bit) on Mac Yosemite (10.10.5).

• Level 5*
On 2/5/2016 at 11:17 AM, gbarry said:

We've updated the SSO again on the vendor side--they believe they located the major issue with sign outs. Let me know if you keep getting dropped. 

Still getting logged out as of today.

• Level 5*

On 2/3/2016 at 0:54 PM, csihilling said:

Just tried #1 using the email for this post.  It returned me to the topic (page 1), but not the post.

I'm still seeing the same behavior.

On 2/5/2016 at 10:17 AM, gbarry said:

We've updated the SSO again on the vendor side--they believe they located the major issue with sign outs. Let me know if you keep getting dropped. 

Although it is less frequent now, It still requires a sign in much more frequently than before the forum update.  Seems like if we check the "keep me logged in" box, we should be able to go at least a week before needed to log in again.

• Level 5*

Something seems to have changed in the last 16-24 hours.

After gbarry's post of 2/5, I was getting logged out every hour or two - i.e., it got worse.

But in the last 16-24 hours, I haven't been logged out. Hopefully this is now resolved.

• Level 5*

Delays Due to Relay Through mandrillapp.com From EMail Notifications

@gbarry:  I often get a delay of 10-15 seconds, and most recently, of 40 seconds, waiting for the mandrillapp.com site to relay on to discussion.evernote.com.

What is the purpose of going through this site?  Can you change it to direct link to discussion.evernote.com?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, JMichaelTX said:

Delays Due to Relay Through mandrillapp.com From EMail Notifications

@gbarry:  I often get a delay of 10-15 seconds, and most recently, of 40 seconds, waiting for the mandrillapp.com site to relay on to discussion.evernote.com.

What is the purpose of going through this site?  Can you change it to direct link to discussion.evernote.com?

This. 1,000 times this. I do NOT like my browsing history for the EN forums going through some third party data collection company, and it just slows the entire process down. I brought this up very early in the discussion on the new forums.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
On 4/6/2016 at 11:14 AM, Giulio1902 said:

Hello,I am new to this app, I always used to Google keep when I use Android, I wanted to know how I can synchronize Google Keep notes on everinote? thanks a lot:)

You cannot. Evernote syncs with Evernote, Google Keep with Google Keep.

You could try exporting your Google Keep notes and importing them into Evernote, essentially moving services. See https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-transfer-all-the-notes-from-Google-Keep-to-Evernote for some ideas. AFAIK, there is no way to do this with just pushing a few buttons. It will be a fairly tedious process, especially if you have a lot of notes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

The search isn't working well. I have a number of posts I've put the keyword ehunresolved in and search never pulls them. Is it because they are in beta forums? Can this be fixed? Search is kinda useless if it cannot even find a single word.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, EdH said:

The search isn't working well. I have a number of posts I've put the keyword ehunresolved in and search never pulls them. Is it because they are in beta forums? Can this be fixed? Search is kinda useless if it cannot even find a single word.

When I search for ehunresolved, the search engine finds only this one post. I agree with your hunch. The others are probably hidden because they are in beta forums (which have some specific restrictions). 

My keyword for the multi-year discussion on the "Due Date" field was 47ER92.  That keyword still works for many of my posts in the public forums. 

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

When I search for ehunresolved, the search engine finds only this one post. I agree with your hunch. The others are probably hidden because they are in beta forums (which have some specific restrictions). 

My keyword for the multi-year discussion on the "Due Date" field was 47ER92.  That keyword still works for many of my posts in the public forums. 

Thanks for confirming. The search then is kind of useless if it cannot search through all posts I have access to.

• Level 5

Perhaps someone else has a suggestion on searching beta comments.

My guess is Evernote has a few reasons to keep beta searchability turned off from all users.

1.) The non-disclosure agreement for beta testers
2.) Confusion caused when beta functions are altered or removed, and the original comments are still in the beta forum.

• Level 5*
On 4/18/2016 at 6:45 AM, jbenson2 said:

Perhaps someone else has a suggestion on searching beta comments.

My guess is Evernote has a few reasons to keep beta searchability turned off from all users.

1.) The non-disclosure agreement for beta testers
2.) Confusion caused when beta functions are altered or removed, and the original comments are still in the beta forum.

I get that, but when I search, I should have search results for what I have access to. It looks like they are just blocking off entire sections from search results. Not good. Makes the beta forums very hard to use as you cannot look for an old issue, or even an issue from yesterday that has scrolled off the current page.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2016 at 2:59 PM, JMichaelTX said:

@gbarry, how's it going with the forum fix list?  Haven't seen much activity or changes in the last couple of weeks.

I show the following issues still have not been fixed:

1. Click on email notification link does NOT go to post after login
  2. Sign in frequency is too high, required after less than 1 hr of inactivity
  3. Product Feedback forums are still missing last post name/date
  4. Links to posts prior to update don't work
  5. "Select All" while creating/editing a post does not always work
  6. Std Mac Shortcuts, like CMD+UpArrow -- like Select All, it doesn't work, the cursor doesn't move, in the Editor of some forums.
  7. Issues with the "Sort by" Button remain.
  8. Changing the "Sort by" to show only posts since my last visit doesn't stick.
  9. Moderators can no longer change topic title or add tags.
  10. Readability is still an issue.  Just making the light green text a dark green would be a huge help.
  11. Need a General Discussion section/feature where requests common to multiple platforms can be voted on.
  12. All pre-existing threads seem to have double spacing between paragraphs.
  13. The PM list of existing msg is still not nearly as useful/friendly as prior to forum upgrade.
  14. Product Feedback forums don't offer a way to go to last page/last post of the topic/idea from the topic list page
  15. Inconsistent display of topic paging
    1. Product Feedback forums show paging AFTER the OP
    2. Help forums show it at the top, ABOVE the OP
    3. Please make all show at the TOP, ABOVE the OP
  16. The Product Feedback forums repeat the OP on every page. 
    1. This is not needed, and wastes valuable space and time to always scroll down
  17. others?

To:  All Members
If I missed a forum issue you have identified that still has not been fixed, please post below.

#10 is correct - This forum has been the hardest to read forum I've ever encountered due to the color scheme that was chosen.

I have Geography as my Major. I need a feature to search different locations on google maps and store/star them, and i can write a note corresponding to that location. Right now i see Evernote can add only the existing location. Is there any feature available to, search any place on my google map and add notes to that location and save that.?

• 2 weeks later...
On December 16, 2015 at 11:18 PM, gbarry said:

This doesn't seem to work on mobile devices, where I use Evernote 60% of my time, but check the forums 90% of the time. Am I wrong?

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

This doesn't seem to work on mobile devices, where I use Evernote 60% of my time, but check the forums 90% of the time. Am I wrong?

I access the forum using my iPad.  There are some issues, but it does work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 12/17/2015 at 9:05 AM, jbenson2 said:

@gbarry:  This issue with readability due to low contrast text was reported to you early on, back on Dec 17, 2015.  Yet nothing has changed.

I don't know if it is my eyes, or if the forum config has made things worse, but it is now very hard for me to read many of the discussion.evernote.com forum pages, especially those that list forum topics.

Could you please fix this?  All it would take is to make the green color you use everywhere darker.

For example, here is the color now:
New Forum Feedback 

Here is text contrast, with a darker green, that is MUCH easier to read:
New Forum Feedback

Is it really more important to you, and the Evernote executives, to have a specific color of green, which makes text very hard to read, than to have a darker color of green that is easy to read?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  @gbarry The missing email issue means we can't support forum posters very closely - just came across a thread where I asked a question and the OP responded pretty quickly.  A week or two later I found it again and carried on the conversation,  but without an email to say there had been a post in the forum I followed,  I have no way to know there's been a response unless someone quotes my post or uses my @name like I just did to you. 

Not hurting me,  but it's not a good experience for OP's in trouble...

• Level 5*

If one uses the ignore user feature there are options that appear for posts by any ignored users.  However, the Show this post option does not work when selected.

• Level 5*
On 6/5/2016 at 1:10 AM, JMichaelTX said:

@gbarry:  This issue with readability due to low contrast text was reported to you early on, back on Dec 17, 2015.  Yet nothing has changed.

I don't know if it is my eyes, or if the forum config has made things worse, but it is now very hard for me to read many of the discussion.evernote.com forum pages, especially those that list forum topics.

Could you please fix this?  All it would take is to make the green color you use everywhere darker.

For example, here is the color now:
New Forum Feedback 

Here is text contrast, with a darker green, that is MUCH easier to read:
New Forum Feedback

Is it really more important to you, and the Evernote executives, to have a specific color of green, which makes text very hard to read, than to have a darker color of green that is easy to read?

The problem with this is that it's almost impossible to differentiate that dark green from regular black. I don't think that would be a positive step forward...

...however, perhaps a recent design trend could be used. setting all links to have a 

border-bottom: 2px solid #2dbe60

style applied? A fat underline for URLs has become more and more popular, especially since it works for both legibility and colorblind issues. Below is what it'd potentially look like.  You could even have it be grey with a green hover - either way, it's still visible while not affecting text legibility.

Untitled-3.jpg

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, chirmer said:

The problem with this is that it's almost impossible to differentiate that dark green from regular black. I don't think that would be a positive step forward...

...however, perhaps a recent design trend could be used. setting all links to have a . . . fat underline for URLs

I suppose there are a number of techniques to improve readability.  I don't really care which one is used, as long as the result is, in fact, improved readability, improved text contrast.  Here is an example using a darker green, but not as dark as above, for forum links:

EN-Forum-Text-Contrast.png

Seems easy enough here to differentiate the darker green from black.  I would prefer all links to have an underline.

Archived