Possible to disable creation of auto-hyperlinks?

MalcolmG

Idea

Is there a configuration option that I'm missing (either via the user interface or via a Terminal level setting) that would allow me to disable the Evernote editor's desire to format all my website addresses and email addresses as hyperlinks? I understand that this is a common behavior in other applications - but in other applications one can disable this behavior.

• Like 2

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 12/15/2015 at 5:21 PM, MalcolmG said:

Is there a configuration option that I'm missing (either via the user interface or via a Terminal level setting) that would allow me to disable the Evernote editor's desire to format all my website addresses and email addresses as hyperlinks?

Nope.  Most people seem to like/want auto-linking.  I'm sure you have your reasons, but I don't know why this would be an issue.  IMO, this is not likely to change.  Evernote is not big on Options/Preferences.

• Sad 1

I understand why auto links are useful for website addresses, but for emails, they are distracting as even when you want to copy an email address the link is clicked invariably, and the default mail client of Apple (the sleeping giant) is triggered which I have to force quit every time. Unless you have mail of Apple, open all the time. I use browser based email, and I suspect lots of people do. So it makes no sense to have email links for us.

More horrible is the links on numbers like bank accounts. I don't understand why numbers are hyperlinked.

• Like 3

To my utter disgust, I see all my dates, numbers, etc., all turned back into horrible hyperlinks, after spending hours unlinking them.

So I spend a few more hours unlinking them again, telling myself I must not use Evernote on my iPhone, ever. 

Then, a few days later, I forget _not_ to ever open Evernote on the iPhone, and I find my numbers, dates, hyperlinked to nowhere again.

I go through the Groundhog Day process, hating the myth that Evernote cannot/wouldn't fix this PiA PoS.. 

I can even live with the inconsistent GUI interfaces, but this automatic hyperlink is driving me nuts. 

HELP!

• Like 5
On 12/17/2015 at 4:27 AM, JMichaelTX said:

Nope.  Most people seem to like/want auto-linking.  I'm sure you have your reasons, but I don't know why this would be an issue.  IMO, this is not likely to change.  Evernote is not big on Options/Preferences.

You can say that again "Evernote is not big on Options/Preferences."  Not big on letting users determine their own most effective workflows.  Same deal with auto correct, would love to disable it for just evernote, ALL notes at once.

• Like 2
On 2/17/2017 at 12:03 AM, albiewong said:

To my utter disgust, I see all my dates, numbers, etc., all turned back into horrible hyperlinks, after spending hours unlinking them.

So I spend a few more hours unlinking them again, telling myself I must not use Evernote on my iPhone, ever. 

Then, a few days later, I forget _not_ to ever open Evernote on the iPhone, and I find my numbers, dates, hyperlinked to nowhere again.

I go through the Groundhog Day process, hating the myth that Evernote cannot/wouldn't fix this PiA PoS.. 

I can even live with the inconsistent GUI interfaces, but this automatic hyperlink is driving me nuts. 

HELP!

No help is coming for this. The solution, as you mentioned is not to ever open any note that includes numbers on your phone, making Evernote something less than useful. You used to be able to view notes in presentation mode that would usually remove links but they took that feature out a year or so back. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, terryjbenzie said:

not to ever open any note that includes numbers on your phone

Folks here are talking about 'links' and mentioning numbers,  dates and URLs - and this started out as a Mac thread,  not iOS...

If you're concerned about URLs (or emails) showing up as active links,  then I don't think there's an option to prevent them doing so without resorting to typing (dot) (at) in (some) appropriate places.  If numbers or dates come up as links,  that's more to do with your device's OS detecting what it thinks are phone numbers or diary dates and 'helping' you avoid retyping them.  If the user guide doesn't say how to avoid that,  you're better off talking to the OS provider because presumably that's hard-coded into the system and Evernote have no control over how those characters are presented.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Folks here are talking about 'links' and mentioning numbers,  dates and URLs - and this started out as a Mac thread,  not iOS...

If you're concerned about URLs (or emails) showing up as active links,  then I don't think there's an option to prevent them doing so without resorting to typing (dot) (at) in (some) appropriate places.  If numbers or dates come up as links,  that's more to do with your device's OS detecting what it thinks are phone numbers or diary dates and 'helping' you avoid retyping them.  If the user guide doesn't say how to avoid that,  you're better off talking to the OS provider because presumably that's hard-coded into the system and Evernote have no control over how those characters are presented.

I surfed in from trying to search for a solution to the problem on my iPhone but have never encountered the problem on either my PC or my Mac. It certainly would appear to be an auto-detect from Apple though I've never had this happen on another other similar app. 

I would love it if we could disable this "feature".  I tried some other note taking software and they all do it...someone earlier posted cases where the URL in the text isn't a real URL.  I'm an engineer too and taking notes for REST API calls - all these go to localhost, eg I paste in examples of a curl command to run a REST API call and evernote picks them up as clickable links and it DRIVES ME ABSOLUTELY NUTS :) - I have to go through each one and right click - remove hyperlink, or I keep clicking on them by accident opening a browser.    It does the same thing with email addresses making them into mailto: links.  For example, I'm pasting in notes like:

curl -X POST -H 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="405t3qij045UU3Ylq575Ug2950rqM4ek941YfabM18b520Yra"' -H 'X-Contribution-ID: JVdcblOhMT3ysFAz' --data-binary @/root/software/testScripts/samples/1to1smode/eicar2.body http://localhost:9000/request/v1/rcs/mo/send

Even the compose window in this site is doing it....

It might seem like the solution here is to make a note into plain text, but that isn't the solution either - I want to be able to color code stuff etc.  While I'm on about it, having an option to paste as plain text would be useful. How many of us are using notepad or TextEdit to paste our text into, then copying that back to paste into some other application just so all the formatting isn't changed along with the source.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

If anyone feels that optionally disabling the auto-recognition of clickable links is a worthwhile feature,  please click the up arrow at the very top left of this page.  So far we have 3 votes in favour,  which is not impressive.  Meantime the only viable work-around seems to be to use a word processing / coding app with the correct behaviour,  and to save the output file from that action as a note attachment.  It's then editable from any device with the necessary software installed.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

If anyone feels that optionally disabling the auto-recognition of clickable links is a worthwhile feature,  please click the up arrow at the very top left of this page.  So far we have 3 votes in favour,  which is not impressive.  Meantime the only viable work-around seems to be to use a word processing / coding app with the correct behaviour,  and to save the output file from that action as a note attachment.  It's then editable from any device with the necessary software installed.

No kidding...that isn't a lot of votes.  Maybe there is another note taking software that engineers are using for things that look like URLs.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, MalcolmG said:

I'm the original poster. The forum won't let me click the up-arrow on my post.

I guess they figure you already want it...

Apple Notes...if you use a Mac, solves this problem.  The desktop application doesn't generate URLs from my curl commands using APIs with hyperlinks and email addresses in them.  You can also just use a simple dropdown to change to a monospaced font to mix up CLI commands and text.  You can paste images too.

I tried a few different ones and none did the following, except Apple Notes:

• monospaced font quick to set
  • don't automatically generate hyperlinks
  • paste images inline
  • doesn't retain formatting pasted from other sources, eg webpages, word document, no silly special formatting like Jira uses

Steve Jobs used to talk about how his company originally made products that they, themselves, would use...classic example right here.  I bet this came from an internal frustration with note taking software.

Apple notes is also incredibly fast...something Evernote never has been on either desktop or mobile app versions.  It's just gotten too complex.  This hyperlink thing has driven me nuts for years.

The web version of Apple Notes accessed through iCloud does automatically generate hyperlinks, but that might be the browser, not the web application.

Enjoy.

Edited by notoriousrab430

Stupid, stupid feature.  Some manager dreamed this up and forced the developer to implement it.  Why the hell would I keep phone numbers in evernote anyway.  Any number I care about calling I would have as a contact or just look it up in google.

I do however keep lots of ACCOUNT numbers in evernote.  And now they are all hyperlinks which makes it tricky to try to select them so I can copy/paste... sigh....

• Like 1

It's simply crazy that this kind of link conversion takes place. I presume many users just want to store information in their notes.

I can understand this being a worthwhile option users can enable but to make it the default - and not something that can be disabled - is bonkers.

• Like 2