Tagging questions

I use a Mac OS X Yosemite on the laptop and El Cap on the Mini as well as iOS 9 latest version on iPhone 6.

I typically do not tag on my phone.

First thing.

I'm in sales and use Evernote daily to keep all my notes.  When I am adding tags on the computer they fill up the 'tag' line and end up running off the page.  I then have to arrow back numerous times to get the tag to be read, so I know if I have added the correct tag.  This didn't happen in the past, but would seem to have come up on one of the last few updates.  

Does anyone else have that issue?  Is there something I can do to change that?

Second thing.

When putting in the tags, they auto fill which is fine, but when I get a few letters in and get to a '-', the cursor will jump to the end of the first tag that starts with those letters and I have to delete back and then continue to add the correct tag.

eg:  I'll start tagging "Ed - pharmacy", but when I get to the '-', it will come up "Ed - 10 St store- ".  I have to delete back to the '-' and then put 'p' and then any tags that are similar will pop up.

This is fine and dandy when I only have a couple tags that start the same and I can pick from the drop down the correct one, but when I have 50 tags that start that way, it's a pain.

I hope this isn't too confusing.  Any light you can shed on these two issues would be great.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

I use a Mac OS X Yosemite on the laptop and El Cap on the Mini as well as iOS 9 latest version on iPhone 6.

When I am adding tags on the computer they fill up the 'tag' line and end up running off the page.  I then have to arrow back numerous times to get the tag to be read, so I know if I have added the correct tag.  This didn't happen in the past, but would seem to have come up on one of the last few updates.  

Have you updated to the latest version:  EN Mac 6.3 Update 

The Note Tag block now expands when you click in it.

Some of think display of the Note's tags could be better, and have requested it.

If you like, you can also request it in the above thread.

Second thing.

When putting in the tags, they auto fill which is fine, but when I get a few letters in and get to a '-', the cursor will jump to the end of the first tag that starts with those letters and I have to delete back and then continue to add the correct tag.

eg:  I'll start tagging "Ed - pharmacy", but when I get to the '-', it will come up "Ed - 10 St store- ".  I have to delete back to the '-' and then put 'p' and then any tags that are similar will pop up.

I'm not sure I understand how it is working for you, but for me in EN Mac 6.3 on Yosemite (10.10.5):

1. I start typing the tag name, like "SW.C" as shown below
  2. EN shows the dropdown list of matching tags, with the first matching selected
  3. If I want a different tag, I can just keep typing, like "SW.Ch" and it now will select "SW.Chrome"
  4. At which point, I just hit ⏎ and it assigns that tag.

EN-Mac-6.3-Tag-Selection-in-Note.png

Thanks JMichael.  I have done all the updates.  The tags used to always keep in the visible bar, now they just keep running off the page.  The second part is hard to explain without showing.  I thought I had it, but I guess not.  The drop down shows up, but then I have to scroll to the correct tag.  It works fine, but if I could type 1 more letter, it would narrow it down to only a couple tags, but the cursor jumps to the end and I have to delete to keep trying.

When I read what I wrote, it even confuses me.  Not sure how to explain any differently.

Thanks anyways.

while typing this in...all good.  

post-154669-0-96858100-1450121988_thumb.

When I hit the '-', it goes to the next picture.

post-154669-0-57633300-1450121989_thumb.

Then I have to delete back to the '-' and continue and the choice is there.

post-154669-0-12034000-1450121990_thumb.

At the end of the line, it runs off the page like this.

post-154669-0-69647600-1450121990_thumb.

I hope that helps out.

• Level 5*

@Jason O:
Thanks for the screenshots -- they make the issue you're seeing very clear.

Using dashes ("–") in Tags was initially an issue brought on by a bug in Yosemite when it was first released.  Apple later fixed the bug.  But it's back again with El Capitan.  Evernote/SoftwareMarcus says they have reported the bug to Apple several times, can cannot fix the issue without Apple fix the bug.

I'm not sure why you are seeing this bug in Yosemite.  Do you have the latest Yosemite updates?

IAC, the issue will continue. You may want to consider changing your tag naming convention to something that doesn't use dashes.  I have used periods (".") in my Tags now for years without any issues.  So, instead of "Ed - Allied Health", you'd have "Ed.Allied Health", or my pref would be to not use spaces, so it would be "Ed.AlliedHealth".

By not using spaces (in either Tags or Notebooks), it makes it easier to do searches since you don't have to use quotes, and you can use partial names with an asterisk to refer to tags that start with that text.

Good luck.  Hope you can resolve your issue soon.

Thanks for the help.

These issues are on my Mini which is El Cap and come to think of it, I don't think it happens on the Laptop running Yosemite.    Perhaps I will change my tags around and hopefully avoid the issue.

Is having the tags run of the page a similar issue?

The fourth picture.  At the end of the tag line, it now seems to just keep running of the page, so you have arrow back repeatedly to see what your tag is.

This doesn't happen on the laptop (Yosemite), but does on the Mini (El Cap)

Thanks.

Archived