Why is Evernote so unusably slow?

It takes at least 15 seconds to:

Make a new note

Change notebooks

Move a note to another notebook.

It's unbelievable.  And I have the paying subscription too.  I emailed support but they've been useless.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.  

• Level 5*

I'm running EN Mac 6.3 on Yosemite (10.10.5), and it runs fast.

My environments:

• 14K+ Notes
  • MBP-15R, 2.7Ghz, 16GB, 500GB SSD
  • MBA-13, 2.0GHz, 8GB, 256GB SSD

If you have a Mac made since 2012 (and probably earlier) or so with decent RAM (8GB+), Evernote should run fine.

So, if you think your HW is OK, and there are no other apps running that are hogging the CPU, then you might want to try a clean reinstall.  Also, note that after an EN Mac update, there may be some migration and indexing required that adds load to the CPU.  But once that's all done (usually within a few hours), then EN Mac should run fine.

If you want more help, then please post:

1. What versions of OS and Evernote are you running
  2. Screenshot of the Mac Activity Monitor showing Evernote CPU usage
  3. Your Mac HW specs

If you want to try the clean reinstall:

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

I'm running EN Mac 6.3 on Yosemite (10.10.5), and it runs fast.

My environments:

• 14K+ Notes
  • MBP-15R, 2.7Ghz, 16GB, 500GB SSD
  • MBA-13, 2.0GHz, 8GB, 256GB SSD

If you have a Mac made since 2012 (and probably earlier) or so with decent RAM (8GB+), Evernote should run fine.

So, if you think your HW is OK, and there are no other apps running that are hogging the CPU, then you might want to try a clean reinstall.  Also, note that after an EN Mac update, there may be some migration and indexing required that adds load to the CPU.  But once that's all done (usually within a few hours), then EN Mac should run fine.

If you want more help, then please post:

1. What versions of OS and Evernote are you running
  2. Screenshot of the Mac Activity Monitor showing Evernote CPU usage
  3. Your Mac HW specs

If you want to try the clean reinstall:

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

That's great advice.  Thanks for the response.  I'll try a reinstall.  Hadn't thought of that.  All other apps are running find and there's no CPU hogging going on that is unusual.  Evernote itself doesn't seem to be hogging much CPU.  I'll see how a reinstall does.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar problem. I have a note that repeatedly hangs, often for several seconds at a time where I see the beach ball spinning. It'll happen when adding to a list of checkbox items or simply regular lines of text, editing a font or size even. It can't keep up with my typing, hangs, finishes what I typed, and then does it all over again when I type my next change.

I noticed it has started doing it when switching to other notes but this tends to happen far less often.

I'm running EN 6.10 on an iMac (mid-2011) with 24 GB of memory under Yosemite 10.10.5. I have only 792 Notes in a Plus account. With Activity Monitor open, I can see EN will bounce around between 0.0% CPU and 8% CPU. Then I make an edit to the note and it shoots up to 99.9%, even 100.1% at one point, then it will turn red and say (Not Responding) before the beach ball goes away and it drops down to normal levels again.

I've quit EN and reopened it only to find it does the same thing. I know this is a Mac thread but I also find the EN app on my iPhone 5S under iOS 10.3.1 is frustratingly slow. Everything from switching sections at the bottom and opening a note to editing content and scrolling. Very unresponsive.

I don't understand how making changes to a text file can cause such a lag on both my Mac and iPhone.

Archived