REQUEST: Sort / Group by Notebook

JimmyBoy

Idea

When viewing in card view I find it useful to sort / group notes together. 

With the infrastructure I use for my notes, it would very convenient for me to group by Notebook, There are options for Title, Date Created etc… but no Notebook unfortunately.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You can't sort by NB, but since every Note belongs to one, and only one, NB, you can filter the Note by NB.

To set a NB filter, do any of the following:

• Go to menu View > Jump to Notebook
  • Press CMD+J
  • Click on the NB in the Sidebar
  • Click on the NB in the NB view
  • Enter this into the Search box:  notebook:<NBname>

It's not so much the being able to find the note, but more the visibility of a note when in a large selection of other notes.

I use a combination of notebooks and tags (about 20 notebooks, 800+ tags). The notebooks are essentially a category.

So lets say I have notebooks :

A

B

C

and notes

etc….

At the moment I will just see the following

Lets say '4' is in notebook b, looking at the above is difficult to identify '4' (bearing in mind more realistic names and potentially 100's of notes etc…)

I would like

B

C

As I know '4' is in notebook 'B', I can narrow my searches down straight away by going to the 'B' group.

More importantly for me though, it helps to break up the notes from being one big wall of text, separated into more manageable sections.

At the moment I get by, by using list mode with columns - Notebook, Title, Updated, this way I can sort by notebook to get 80% of the way there. However, the main issue is when I try to use card view, I have a wall of cards that are hard to make any sense of. I can group by Title, Updated etc… in this view, but the way I work, I really want "Notebook" added to the list of grouping options.

Hope that explains my reasoning a little.

• Level 5*

@JimmyBoy:

Yes, I get your point.  It would be very helpful if the Note list, when sorted by Notebooks, would show a grouping header like it does with the dates.

There is an option to "Show Notes in Groups", but is doesn't work if the sort is by Notebook:

EN-Mac-6.3-Group-by-Notebooks.png

It's not so much the being able to find the note, but more the visibility of a note when in a large selection of other notes.

I use a combination of notebooks and tags (about 20 notebooks, 800+ tags). The notebooks are essentially a category.

. . .

More importantly for me though, it helps to break up the notes from being one big wall of text, separated into more manageable sections.

. . .

Hope that explains my reasoning a little.

Archived