How to add multiple things to the same note? Any solution?

How can I add multiple text selections, clippings etc to the same note? Evenote Helper lets me add multiple screenshots sequentially into the same note, but I'd like to do the same with multiple text selections and web clippings as well. Let's say I'm researching something by reading 3 books and browsing at the same time. I'd like to be able to 1. use the same shortcut [ 'Add to Evernote' or 'Paste to Evernote' etc.] to repeatedly add snippets I highlight from the books to the same note, 2. similarly add selected text from different web pages one after another to the same note; also, [ not necesssary if it requires complicated re-engineering] 3. add web clippings to same notes. Any subset of the above 3 things would be great. Is there a way to do any subset of this? 

The Merge feature is no substitute: snippets from everywhere when merged result in a gazillion gray dividers saying 'Untitled' which cant be deleted even with the 'Find and Replace text' feature since the gray backgrounds have to be deleted manually.

Please let me know if there is any solution to this: direct feature, 3rd party app/feature, manual hacks etc.

If there is no existing solution, then please add a feature that resembles even a small subset of this. This is a real pain point.

Thanks

Evernote User MD - if you are using a Windows computer, it probably came with a program (app) already installed named "Snipping Tool". It will allow you to take a partial screen shot (a rectangle) of whatever is on your screen. Once you've got a "clipping", copy it, and then paste it into any Evernote Note wherever you want.

If you are reading a book and not willing to type in the text that you want into Evernote, then you will need to take a picture of it. Use the Evernote app on your handheld device, capture it to Evernote, crop it down to the sentences that you want, and then copy the result to the desired Note.

I hope this helps.

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?

If you're using a Mac, there's lots of things you could do with AppleScript and/or Keyboard Maestro .

Thanks for replying. I'm on 2 Mac's and 1 Android Tab. I just got Keyboard Maestro, and I'm learning KM+Applescript for the first time right now. Can you please provide detailed 'recipes'/instructions for me? Sounds like you've personally solved the problem I have. Thanks for the help.

• Level 5*

I don't have any AppleScript scripts or KM macros that append to a note, but there are others who have these and have published them.

You might try a Google search on "Evernote AppleScript append".  You'll see lots of hits that should help you get started.

You can find lots of good resources and examples using Google search.

In this forum, you can search on the forum tag applescript

to find posts about using AppleScript with Evernote.

You might also do Google searches on:

• AppleScript getting started
  • Keyboard Maestro getting started

If you have questions about:

I

Good luck.  If you end up creating a useful AppleScript and/or KM macro, I hope you'll share here.

• Level 5*

Thanks for replying. I'm on 2 Mac's and 1 Android Tab. I just got Keyboard Maestro, and I'm learning KM+Applescript for the first time right now. Can you please provide detailed 'recipes'/instructions for me? Sounds like you've personally solved the problem I have. Thanks for the help.

I was just doing some searching, and ran across this blog that has an AppleScript that appends html to a note daily:

My First AppleScript -- Appending Text to Daily Journal Note 

Seems very close to what you want.  I haven't used it or tested it, so I can't personally vouch for it.

HTH.

I was just doing some searching, and ran across this blog that has an AppleScript that appends html to a note daily:

My First AppleScript -- Appending Text to Daily Journal Note

Seems very close to what you want.  I haven't used it or tested it, so I can't personally vouch for it.

HTH.

To Analyst 444, I know about the Evernote Helper thing, but I want selectable [normal] text which I can copy-paste,collect,organize,manipulate, and have my Macbook read to me, not just a screenshot/OCR'ed searchable image of it (which is all your solution would get me)

And Thanks  JMichael

I'll search and play around till I find a solution. Should take at least a couple weeks till my next post [ esp. since I also just started playing around with DevonthinkProOffice+GoogleDrive[ competing w. Evernote as the 'organize and store' portion of my GTD-inspired setup] & Omnifocus [whose UI I'm in love with but really frustrated by the lack of multiple contexts/explicit tags and lack of direct integration with Evernote (other than 'alt+right-click then copy-paste classic note link) which is making me consider trying TheSecretWeapon later]. It looks like you've dabbled a bit in all that too ,so I'd like your thoughts on all that later if you're ok with it, after I solve this 'input/ capture' phase (hopefully w. Evernote); but that's for some other future post.

Rest assured I'll post whatever solution or leads to a solution I can find after a couple weeks. Or I might just come back with more questions/requests lol.

In the meanwhile, thanks for the suggestions guys ; keep em coming, 'cause my problem is still nowhere near solved lol.

Any and all solutions I can think of in Applescript lead to this error message for note "x" : 

error "Evernote got an error: Can’t get note \"x\"." number -1728 from note "boom1"

I kept modifying and didnt keep any record of the code I tried.

BUT, did find my solution:

KM's default clipboard macro: copy and paste selection to last application - customized for evernote

For now this is working for me just fine if I simply keep my current note window open.

Archived