(Archived) Eye-Fi and Evernote -- a monthly usage FAIL

I got an Eye-Fi card for my camera (Canon G11) a few days ago and decided to just let 'er rip. I shot 40 photos over 3 days before experiencing monthly usage limit anxiety. My total usage for the month now is 276 MB, the vast majority for those G11 photos. I have been taking photos on my iphone for ages now and uploading to Evernote without a problem, but, of course, those are much smaller photos than the hi-res format I am using on the G11.

This isn't a surprise, I know. Hi-res photos take 3M - 10M each, Evernote has a monthly limit of 500M on premium accounts. I should get 80 or so photos each month. So not a surprise, but WHAT a bummer! The whole magic of the Eye-Fi / Evernote integration is the promise of just dumping your camera onto Evernote as one component of dumping everything in your life onto Evernote. But you just can't do it. It is BOUND to fail. Everyone who owns a camera occasionally takes more than 80-100 photos in a month. I have gone ahead and deleted Evernote from my Eye-Fi configuration because it is *automatically* going to cause me a problem with moderate use.

The 500M / month storage limit has gotten complaints on this forum before. It really needs to be addressed. If Evernote simply provided more storage that would be great, of course. :) But I would even be willing to pay more to get more storage. I really like the idea of the Eye-Fi / Evernote integration -- I would be willing to pay to make it work for me.

There could be other solutions too. Evernote could provide an option to accept hi-res photos coming in, but save them to a lower res format. This would work for me. I never planned to use Evernote as an archive of raw format photos, or even hi-res photos -- I catalog those on my hard drive and in Aperture. But I would love a low-res version of the photos to be stored in Evernote.

So there are lots of possible solutions. But right now the Eye-Fi / Evernote integration is pretty useless for a moderately active photographer.

Apart from seting your camera to a lower resolution, I can't think of a way round it.

I considered Eye-fi, but for me it wasn't worth it. I don't want everything sent to Evernote - I often take several photos of each item and discard the and keep the best. Bombarding evernote with my poorly composed shots and having to wee them out in Evernote didn't appeal. I'll stick to weeding them out at home, and then throwing the ones I want to go to Evernote into my auto-import folder.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

hello,

i think, its quite a useful feature to connect my eye-fi-card with evernote.

in the eye-fi-manager, i can configure "Photo Destinations" for "Web sharing"

if i add a photo service, i.e. evernote,

where will those userinformation, which the eye-fi-card-manager needs to upload to that service, be stored?

It depends. In Evernote's case -- your user and pass info is stored on our servers, hashed, encrypted and securely stored on our servers. No human being has access or the ability to see your personal info.

With some partners that use web-auth, there is nothing stored, other than a token. But for the time being, the current implementation has us storing the user/pass info.

Thanks --

Ziv.

Archived