How to Migrate OneNote Notes to Evernote

larrymcj

About a year ago I moved from Evernote to OneNote on a Mac and now I'd like to move back. I've searched these discussion groups as well as the internet and I haven't found anything that works. Lots of references to "Menu > Import > OneNote" but when you do this on a Mac the "OneNote" option isn't there, so I don't know what (on my Mac) to import. Thanks in advance for any help on how to do this.

• Level 5*

Doh!  Sorry - read it the wrong way around;  plus one of the headlines read "What You Need to Migrate from OneNote to Evernote" despite the completely reverse thrust of the article.  Try this one - https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-sync-evernote-and-onenote/

Failing that,  what sort of export options does your OneNote setup have?  It's a shame your version of Evernote doesn't seem to have the OneNote import option,  but my Windows version still does - what's your version number?  Is it an old one?

(Although OneNote import has been causing a few problems recently...)

Doh!  Sorry - read it the wrong way around;  plus one of the headlines read "What You Need to Migrate from OneNote to Evernote" despite the completely reverse thrust of the article.  Try this one - https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-sync-evernote-and-onenote/

Failing that,  what sort of export options does your OneNote setup have?  It's a shame your version of Evernote doesn't seem to have the OneNote import option,  but my Windows version still does - what's your version number?  Is it an old one?

(Although OneNote import has been causing a few problems recently...)

Evernote for Windows has always had an option for importing OneNote...not so for Mac, even though I have the latest version of Evernote for Mac. I think my only option here will be to find someone with a Windows laptop who will let me install Evernote and OneNote (Windows versions), add my accounts and then do the import. After that if I sync Evernote on my Mac it should be fine.

• 1 year later...

Has this improved over the last year and a half? After using OneNote just for class notes since January, 2016 I'm ready to move back, despite the lack of Evernote formatting options. OneNote's syncing is just too poor compared with Evernote. But there doesn't seem to be an easy way to move back to Evernote.

Hi, Doug. No, I still haven't found a way to move from OneNote back to Evernote. In fact, I finally decided to simplify my life even more and now use Apple Notes exclusively. I'm actually amazed how good they are, even for sharing things you find on line (like using the Evernote Helper). Text formatting works well, embedding PDFs, etc. Not as robust as Evernote, but certainly a good option and importantly, it's within the Apple ecosystem.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, larrymcj said:

I finally decided to simplify my life even more and now use Apple Notes exclusively.

How did you migrate your notes from One Notes to Apple Notes?

I could script a Notes > Evernote conversion

Unfortunately, the hard way...manually. I just felt it was worth doing, and managed to do some notes housekeeping in the process. If you really want to use Evernote, I suggest finding a cheap Windows PC laptop (new, used, or borrowed) then use Windows OneNote to migrate to your Evernote account. The Windows transfer process works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

1) If you don't store file attachments in your Onenote, then exporting as either Doc or PDF should work fine.  And if you don't mind having large documents & using search extensively, you may save yourself some time and export whole sections.

2) Apple Notes is indeed a great program.... until you decide to pull information out of it, especially if you ever switch OS. There's no way that I know to use Apple Notes on a Windows or Linux or Android or Chrome OS machine outside of the slow and clunky web access, which at the present time doesn't allow attachments.   And on the iOS at least, no way to batch export notes. It really locks you into one vendor, which is never a good thing.  Are you using file attachments in Notes a lot ? If not there's probably a number of more future-proof ways of taking notes.

Archived