JMichaelTX

How to Restore Selected Notes from Mac Time Machine (TM) to EN Mac

How to Restore Selected Notes from Mac Time Machine to EN Mac
Ver 2.0      Nov 23, 2015

This question seems to come up often, so I thought I'd post these steps to a new thread that is easily referenced/viewed by all.  Please post below if you have any questions about this process, see any issues with it, or have suggestions to improve it.

One very important concept to keep in mind is that if you restore Evernote from a backup that is older than your current account, when you sync after the restore the data from the EN Cloud will overwrite all Notes that were changed since the backup.  Thus, if you were trying to restore specific Note(s) to a previous version, the previous version will be lost when you do a sync.

So what you have to do is to export to ENEX all of the Notes of interest AFTER you restore from backup, and then sync, and then import these ENEX files back into Evernote.
These are the steps to do exactly that.
  1. Sync EN Mac
  2. OPTIONABLE -- Export to ENEX all Local Notebooks you have, with each NB to a separate ENEX file.
    1. This is an extra safety precaution in case you have to do a clean install.
    2. All of your sync'd Notes will be downloaded from the EN Cloud
    3. Then you can import your Local NBs from these ENEX files
  3. Disconnect from Internet to prevent Evernote from further syncs
  4. Quit EN Mac (app and menu)
  5. OPTIONABLE -- Backup everything Evernote (app and data)
    1. This is an extra safety precaution in case everything becomes lost/corrupted
    2. You will most likely not need this backup
    3. See Location of Evernote Data Folder for EN Mac.
    4. Note that TM does not support the backup of a specific folder.  It does a backup of everything, except for folders/files you specifically exclude.
    5. You can use the Mac Archive utility to create a compressed zip file of your Evernote Folder, but you need to open Archive first and set its Preferences to output the zip file to a location outside of your Evernote folder.  Best location is to an external drive.
  6. Rename the existing Evernote folder (see Step 5.3)  and the Evernote.app to
    "ORIG." & current name.
    So, for example, it would be:  
    ORIG.com.evernote.Evernote
  7. Do a TM restore of the entire Evernote data folder & app from when you know the Notes of interest were still there
    (If you can't find your backup, see instructions below to Show Hidden Files)
  8. Start EN Mac
  9. Find your notes and export to ENEX, with each NB in a separate ENEX file outside of the Evernote folder (like your Documents folder)
    (be sure to check the box for "Include Tags")
  10. OPTIONABLE -- For extra safety you might also export these Notes to HTML
  11. Exit Evernote (app and menu)
  12. Rename the Evernote folder (which was from the restore) and Evernote.app to
    "OLD." & current name.
  13. Rename the original Evernote folder & app from Step 6 ("ORIG.")
    back to the original name
  14. Start EN Mac
  15. Import the ENEX files you created in Step 9.  This puts them in a Local Notebook.
  16. Update/Restore to the Original Sync'd Notebook
    1. Move them into a sync'd Notebook 
      OR
    2. If the Note(s) still exist in a sync'd NB, but need replacing, you can copy/paste the contents from the restored Note into the original sync'd Note.  This will maintain any/all Note Links to the original sync'd Note.
  17. If everything looks good, connect to Internet and sync.
    1. Note that all Notes added or changed in your sync'd NBs will go against your monthly upload allowance.
  18. When you are sure everything has been updated properly, you can delete the Notes imported to the Local NBs in Step #15.  Optional:  I would zip the ENEX files created in Step #9, and put them on an external drive for safe keeping, then delete the ENEX files.

Proceed with caution!  Do not start this process until you fully understand all steps.

I have NOT actually tested this process, so be careful.

If you can't find the backup you want in TM, you might need to tell the Mac Finder to show all folders/files.

If you use OS X 10.9 Mavericks or OS X 10.10 Yosemite, follow these steps to show hidden files in Finder:

1) Launch Terminal.

2) Copy/paste or type in the following command

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder
How to hide hidden files in Finder on OS X

Follow these steps if you want to hide the files and folders you previously revealed. Note this works with OS X Mavericks and Yosemite.

1) Launch Terminal.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2015 at 11:12 PM, JMichaelTX said:
How to Restore Selected Notes from Mac Time Machine to EN Mac
Ver 2.0      Nov 23, 2015

This question seems to come up often, so I thought I'd post these steps to a new thread that is easily referenced/viewed by all.  Please post below if you have any questions about this process, see any issues with it, or have suggestions to improve it.

One very important concept to keep in mind is that if you restore Evernote from a backup that is older than your current account, when you sync after the restore the data from the EN Cloud will overwrite all Notes that were changed since the backup.  Thus, if you were trying to restore specific Note(s) to a previous version, the previous version will be lost when you do a sync.

So what you have to do is to export to ENEX all of the Notes of interest AFTER you restore from backup, and then sync, and then import these ENEX files back into Evernote.
These are the steps to do exactly that.
  1. Sync EN Mac
  2. OPTIONABLE -- Export to ENEX all Local Notebooks you have, with each NB to a separate ENEX file.
    1. This is an extra safety precaution in case you have to do a clean install.
    2. All of your sync'd Notes will be downloaded from the EN Cloud
    3. Then you can import your Local NBs from these ENEX files
  3. Disconnect from Internet to prevent Evernote from further syncs
  4. Quit EN Mac (app and menu)
  5. OPTIONABLE -- Backup everything Evernote (app and data)
    1. This is an extra safety precaution in case everything becomes lost/corrupted
    2. You will most likely not need this backup
    3. See Location of Evernote Data Folder for EN Mac.
    4. Note that TM does not support the backup of a specific folder.  It does a backup of everything, except for folders/files you specifically exclude.
    5. You can use the Mac Archive utility to create a compressed zip file of your Evernote Folder, but you need to open Archive first and set its Preferences to output the zip file to a location outside of your Evernote folder.  Best location is to an external drive.
  6. Rename the existing Evernote folder (see Step 5.3)  and the Evernote.app to
    "ORIG." & current name.
    So, for example, it would be:  
    ORIG.com.evernote.Evernote
  7. Do a TM restore of the entire Evernote data folder & app from when you know the Notes of interest were still there
    (If you can't find your backup, see instructions below to Show Hidden Files)
  8. Start EN Mac
  9. Find your notes and export to ENEX, with each NB in a separate ENEX file outside of the Evernote folder (like your Documents folder)
    (be sure to check the box for "Include Tags")
  10. OPTIONABLE -- For extra safety you might also export these Notes to HTML
  11. Exit Evernote (app and menu)
  12. Rename the Evernote folder (which was from the restore) and Evernote.app to
    "OLD." & current name.
  13. Rename the original Evernote folder & app from Step 6 ("ORIG.")
    back to the original name
  14. Start EN Mac
  15. Import the ENEX files you created in Step 9.  This puts them in a Local Notebook.
  16. Update/Restore to the Original Sync'd Notebook
    1. Move them into a sync'd Notebook 
      OR
    2. If the Note(s) still exist in a sync'd NB, but need replacing, you can copy/paste the contents from the restored Note into the original sync'd Note.  This will maintain any/all Note Links to the original sync'd Note.
  17. If everything looks good, connect to Internet and sync.
    1. Note that all Notes added or changed in your sync'd NBs will go against your monthly upload allowance.
  18. When you are sure everything has been updated properly, you can delete the Notes imported to the Local NBs in Step #15.  Optional:  I would zip the ENEX files created in Step #9, and put them on an external drive for safe keeping, then delete the ENEX files.

Proceed with caution!  Do not start this process until you fully understand all steps.

I have NOT actually tested this process, so be careful.

If you can't find the backup you want in TM, you might need to tell the Mac Finder to show all folders/files.

If you use OS X 10.9 Mavericks or OS X 10.10 Yosemite, follow these steps to show hidden files in Finder:

1) Launch Terminal.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder
How to hide hidden files in Finder on OS X

Follow these steps if you want to hide the files and folders you previously revealed. Note this works with OS X Mavericks and Yosemite.

1) Launch Terminal.

Hi
you seem kompetent :). None form Evernote supports!

Can you provide me an ides what I could do in this case. See here my issue:

This worked well up to step 9. For some reason in order to restart evernote in my mac I had to reconnect to the internet in order to log in ..I could not open EV (Version 7.2 ) other wise so that I could recover the old lost file (if you connect to the internet long enough it leads to the sync-ing with the datafiles in the cloud). The trick that worked for me was to leave the internet on just for the log in and EV application start in the mac and then immediately disconnect to avoid the syncing > find file > save it. Then continue with the steps as shown above... 

I lost a document full of important information. After this incident I do not think I will ever use Evernote again. They make it so challenging to retrieve older back ups, or figure out how to find old files in the back up. I will stick to good old text files or word documents for my future notes....

31 minutes ago, lmolla said:

I lost a document full of important information. After this incident I do not think I will ever use Evernote again. They make it so challenging to retrieve older back ups, or figure out how to find old files in the back up. I will stick to good old text files or word documents for my future notes....

Whatever process you use, I recommend backing up your data with a workable process.
In addition to TM, I also use the Evernote export feature.  Also, Evernote has a Note History backup which makes it easy to retrieve previous versions.

I'm confident I will not be in the situation of losing an important document.

How do I "show hidden files" on Mac High Sierra? Following the above instructions for the terminal did not seem to work for me.

6 minutes ago, book_diva said:

How do I "show hidden files" on Mac High Sierra? Following the above instructions for the terminal did not seem to work for me.

1224531844_ScreenShot2018-08-18at08_11_51.png.217333ec7b95af2bd048c57fa9e78239.png

• Like 1

Thank you! So...this will also work in Time Machine? (Not doing it right now...just thinking about future issues.)