Can I restore Evernote from a backup of com.evernote.Evernote?

I want to backup Evernote (notes AND settings) as completely as possible.

Can I backup this folder and restore from it somehow?

/Users/me/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

If yes, what folders in this directory should I back up?

It seems most note content is stored here:

/Users/me/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com

If I want to restore everything from backup, should I just copy/paste the folders onto these locations and then open Evernote.app?

• Level 5*

Yes, that (the top path) looks like the correct top level Evernote folder.

(Note to other readers:  This folder may be in different locations for Evernote Mac Store versions).

You should backup that folder and all of the contents, including subfolders.

You also need to backup the Evernote.app from your Applications folder to go with the data.

A paste from your backup source might not be the best approach, as the then current folders will have new folders/files added.

The paste might want to merge the two.

For a restore, you need to replace everything in the top level folder with the backup.

While a copy/paste will work for backup, it does not compress the backup and relies on the user to manage different backup times.

You may want to consider using Time Machine , or other backup software. for a daily/hourly incremental backup.

However, if you want to just backup the Evernote folder, TM won't work as it does not allow selective backup.

For other backup software, see The Best Mac Backup Software of 2015 | Top Ten Reviews 

• Level 5*
@winterflags:

One very important concept to keep in mind is that if you restore Evernote from a backup that is older than your current account, when you sync after the restore the data from the EN Cloud will overwrite all Notes that were changed since the backup.  Thus, if you were trying to restore specific Note(s) to a previous version, the previous version will be lost when you do a sync.

So what you have to do is to export to ENEX all of the Notes of interest AFTER you restore from backup, and then sync, and then import these ENEX files back into Evernote.

@JMichael: Thanks for your reply.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is ENEX, exactly?

Also, do you think that the way we have discussed here is the "best" way to back up Evernote, or are there some other backup options out there that I should consider?

I would like to backup as much as possible - including notebooks/settings - not only the notes themselves.

Archived