Feature Request: Notebook dropdown redirect on new message

James McGuigan

Idea

A common workflow hickup that I often encounter using Evernote is the following use case:

As a user, I have an intresting thought which I wish to write down, so I open the desktop Evernote program. Column wise I see a list of notebooks, previews of my my most recent notes, and the read/editor panel is open to my most recent note. I hit command-N to create a new note. My most recent note is my "Work" notebook, and by default the new note is created in the "Work" notebook. This written thought is destined for the "Personal" notebook. My first action, before writing anything, is to select the notebook dropdown and move it to the "Personal" notebook (so I don't forget at the end). This process may take 15-30s seconds, causing a distraction to my train of thought.

What happens currently is that the new note is moved to the "Personal" notebook, but the editor suddenly switches to the next "Work" note. Additionally, due to the new note not having any content, it doesn't show up in the "Recent Notes" on the leftmost column. I must then scan through my entire list of 75 nested notebooks to find the "Personal" notebook, click on it and open the "Personal" notebook. My new empty message is at the top of the list. It is only now that I can start to write down my inspired thought.

An improved workflow would be that when I change the notebook of my new note, I remain editing my current note in the view/edit panel and instead my current notebook is switched to "Personal".

This requires distinguishing between two use potential cases upon changing the notebook dropdown:

- I am scanning through the notes in my current notebook, and simply want to move misfiled notes to other notebooks (dropdown should remain in current notebook)

- I am editing a new note, and want to change the notebook whilst still editing the same note

A possible implementation could test for one of the following conditions:
- Note was last one created in current session and no other notes have been viewed since

- Note was last one edited in current session and no other notes have been viewed since

If so switch notebooks and keep editing current message, else move note and view next note in notebook

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

A common workflow hickup that I often encounter using Evernote is the following use case:

As a user, I have an intresting thought which I wish to write down, so I open the desktop Evernote program. Column wise I see a list of notebooks, previews of my my most recent notes, and the read/editor panel is open to my most recent note. I hit command-N to create a new note. My most recent note is my "Work" notebook, and by default the new note is created in the "Work" notebook. This written thought is destined for the "Personal" notebook. My first action, before writing anything, is to select the notebook dropdown and move it to the "Personal" notebook (so I don't forget at the end). This process may take 15-30s seconds, causing a distraction to my train of thought.

What happens currently is that the new note is moved to the "Personal" notebook, but the editor suddenly switches to the next "Work" note. Additionally, due to the new note not having any content, it doesn't show up in the "Recent Notes" on the leftmost column. I must then scan through my entire list of 75 nested notebooks to find the "Personal" notebook, click on it and open the "Personal" notebook.

I understand the issue you are having, and agree that the current Evernote behavior can be confusing.

This has been discussed several times over the last few years, and it seems difficult to get a consensus among EN users, let alone getting Evernote to agree to make a change.

Until/IF Evernote makes the change you'd like, let me suggest these workarounds:

1. When you create a new Note when you have a NB filter in place, use the global shortcut to create a new note in its own window
    1. The Note will be created in your default NB
    2. You can change its NB without any fear of the Note disappearing
    3. When you finish with the Note you can close its window if you like.
    4. The main EN window will remain with its NB unchanged
  2. If you change the NB of a new Note in the main window when you have a NB filter, you can quickly find it by going to "All Notes" -- just press CMD-SHIFT-A
    1. As long as your Note list is sorted by descending date (Created or Modified), you new Note will be at the top of the list.

HTH.

• Level 5*

What happens currently is that the new note is moved to the "Personal" notebook, but the editor suddenly switches to the next "Work" note. Additionally, due to the new note not having any content, it doesn't show up in the "Recent Notes" on the leftmost column. I must then scan through my entire list of 75 nested notebooks to find the "Personal" notebook, click on it and open the "Personal" notebook.

I understand the issue you are having, and agree that the current Evernote behavior can be confusing.

This has been discussed several times over the last few years, and it seems difficult to get a consensus among EN users, let alone getting Evernote to agree to make a change.

Until/IF Evernote makes the change you'd like, let me suggest these workarounds:

1. When you create a new Note when you have a NB filter in place, use the global shortcut to create a new note in its own window
    1. The Note will be created in your default NB
    2. You can change its NB without any fear of the Note disappearing
    3. When you finish with the Note you can close its window if you like.
    4. The main EN window will remain with its NB unchanged
  2. If you change the NB of a new Note in the main window when you have a NB filter, you can quickly find it by going to "All Notes" -- just press CMD-SHIFT-A
    1. As long as your Note list is sorted by descending date (Created or Modified), you new Note will be at the top of the list.

HTH.

Archived