Conflicting Modifications

I woke up this morning to find my main note much bigger than it was yesterday - 

Conflicting modification on 4 November 2015 at 8:11:58 PM:
Conflicting modification on 5 November 2015 at 11:37:07 AM:
Conflicting modification on 5 November 2015 at 1:13:54 PM:
Conflicting modification on 5 November 2015 at 1:56:19 PM:
Conflicting modification on 5 November 2015 at 1:56:19 PM:

It was 173 lines, now 2088.

I sync my notes before and after using them.  Sometimes I experience an issue, but nothing like this.  I don't have time to deal with these conflicting modifications all the time.  Most of the time I'll have three conflicting modifications, and two of them will be exactly the same.

What's going on to make this happen?
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Do you have Evernote open on more than one device at a time?  Mobile and Desktop forinstance?  Do others have access to these notes?  Do you have a weak or intermittent connection?

This sounds like it could be a symptom of a sync issue - here's Evernote's help screen on that - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313378

• 1 month later...
I have this problem continuously with long or more complex notes.

I suggest that if there are conflicting modifications in a note, there should be a Warning at eye level. (Like the red exclamation point for sync errors) I just discovered I have conflicts in a very long note, and it wasn't apparent until I scrolled to discover it (sometimes multiple blocks of conflicts). This is a note with lots of editing already done, and I now have to reconcile all the individual conflicts. This annoyance along with latency issues (such as freezing while typing) is extremely frustrating. I know there are trade-offs with technology, but these things just don't work with note-keeping software. 

Incidentally, I don't know why the new interface now has all low-contrast icons. What you want is conspicuous contrast, especially when there are sync errors!

Perhaps Evernote should incorporate tools/functions to compare and resolve conflicts. I know I can find something to do this (like Word), but it would be nice if that function was built into the software.

At the very least, conflicts should appear at the top of the note.

Agreed - having a 500 line note turn into a 4000 line note when there's one additional line added and multiple conflicts created is a nightmare.

Having the actual conflict appear rather than just a repeated copy of the entire document would make it much easier to manage.

• 1 month later...

I'm very disappointed that this issue still has not been resolved to any degree at all.

I only find that a conflict occurred when I notice that "Conflicting changes" has a note in it, but I've just realised that these notes are not sync'd (or at least my latest conflicting note I've found was not sync'd, the Windows desktop version is 5.9.6.9494) and the note is only on 1 PC (I sync between Home PC (Win7), Work PC (Still XP), Laptop (Win7), Slate (iPad) and Phone (Droid)). I've been on evernote for probably over 6 years, too long to recall.

I'm no stranger to conflicting notes, due mainly to sync being slow/failing when out and about, or dreaded unannounced reboots ... despite every effort to manually sync before existing ... HOWEVER evernote does nto notify me of any conflict (as mentioned elsewhere, so is there a setting I've disabled?)

It seems to now only generate duplicate notes in "conflicting changes" folder, rather than the appending to end of note (very annoying as never ever know it's happened).

ANYWAY, this is a simple issue and Diff/merge&Diff, track changes technologies are neither new or immature, far from it, so why for @##@ sake can't this be dealt with in a mature and reliable, clear and transparent way in evernote?!

For an company and product that is far from niche, and slates it's self as being multi platform, multi device, syncing etc, this should be one of the first things on the check list of what do I need to do reliably.

Seems the central server creates these things, the tech's at Evernote can see how many instances it occurs, and clearly from the years old threads and ongoing discussion that this is a core problem that people neither like or expect from this sort of product ?

Come on EverNote Team please do something!

Thanks

Richard

(hacked off, after finding yet another unannounced conflicting change on my Work PC, from before Christmas, but not synced or noted anywhere but the machine it's on (by way of being in the conflicting changes folder - no notification), and today is my first day back to that PC, and after an hour of manual diff and merge, and I'm very ANNOYED !!!)

Archived