Please warn us if you force a database download with updates

• Level 5*

Hi.  Unless you have a notebook set for offline searching,  Evernote shouldn't be downloading anything to a mobile device.  And updates don't come with database downloads.  I'd suggest raising a support ticket - click Troubleshooting in the Help Center (link below in my sig) and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the 'Contact Support' button.

Here's the thing: I allowed Evernote to update to the latest version. As soon as that was done it started sync'ing, and  800Mb later it was done.

So if, as you say, updates don't come with database downloads, then I'd like to know what that was all about.

And as for having to look for obscure settings to ensure that we don't incur big data costs - well, that's just ridiculous. A simple warning in the upgrade process "Please check the following settings to ensure that you don't..." would suffice.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but the real reason for the post was to tell Evernote that thanks to a basic lack of information sharing they've created a bad user experience. It doesn't take too many of those to change a product evangelist into a defector.

Edit: I see you're based in Wales. Well done to you guys at the World Cup, from South Africa. Respect!

• Level 5*

Hi from Wales - sadly,  (in this context) I'm very English.  Don't Mention the Cup!!  :) 

As to the update - I still say it's a fault,  not a normal process,  so not possible to warn anyone against the possibility other than 'things can go wrong'.  The only thing that normally saves to a mobile device is the searchable note index,  and that won't be anything like 800MB.  It's possible I guess that you're using a laptop with a mobile data link,  which could involve syncing new note content,  but again syncs do not involve large downloads.  If everything is working fine,  then bad experience aside,  there's no need for further action.  If you'd like to know more about it,  I'd recommend the support ticket!

Archived