(Archived) Evernote not connecting to server

I am trying to get Evernote to work again on my Palm Pixi. When I first downloaded the app, it worked great for a while. Then suddenly one day, a few weeks ago, it would no longer connect to Evernote when I tried to load the app. I've deleted the app and reinstalled it and it still won't work. It's not a matter of the cell phone service as my Samsung Moment (both are Sprint devices) will connect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Hi,

When you say reinstall, is there a specific update that we need to get, or is it more a general suspicion that something is crapped up and hopefully a reinstall will fix whatever it is ?

I see this "not connecting to server" message frequently. Bringing Evernote down and back up again seems to help, eventually, but pending uploads are lost. I have lost many notes this way. Could pending uploads be cached on the device when Evernote comes down so they're not lost ?

Also, would it be worthwhile to have some more specific diagnostic messages ? I understand that when all you have is a generic message like "not connecting to server", you can't diagnose what actually happened, all you can do is make generic suggestions like "reinstall".

Thanks again !!!

Kel

Reinstalling and rebooting tends to fix most stability applications on the device. iPhone platform stability has improved a lot in the last 1.5 years, but we still see some mysterious issues that are solved this way.

It would be great if you were willing to get more information from your device via Apple's Configuration Utility:

http://www.evernote.com/pub/ensupport/f ... 612072e0ad

These logs may contain more detailed information about the underlying source of the "not connecting" errors.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Also, is there any consideration of caching pending uploads on the device when Evernote comes down so that they're not lost ? This would make Evernote more robust and less sensitive to connection problems, which could be occuring anywhere from the device to the Evernote servers.

Thanks again,

Kel

Oops, sorry ... I jumped into the middle of the thread from the "active topics" page and didn't see it was the Pre.

Have you tried uninstalling the app, rebooting the phone, and then reinstalling from the catalog?

Thanks

Here's a couple other ideas:

First, for debugging purposes, can you try to go to: http://www.evernote.com/m on the Palm Pre browser. Try and log in there and make sure that works. Evernote for Palm Pre and the browser should be using similar means to communicate so that should be a good diagnostic to see if the problem is with the phone or network.

Assuming that all works, the next thing I'd try is creating a second Evernote account and try to log in. Assuming all that works out well there may be something in your specific account that's causing trouble. If that's the case, post back here and we'll try to figure something out. It's possible that you have a notebook or tag that's causing some problems but I haven't heard about that with the Pre.

If you have the Palm WebOS tools on computer there's more diagnostics we could do but they are a bit of effort to install so we'd rather you avoid that.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I'm starting to have the same problem, I can't load from my Pre. I'm trying to check on a new note that I composed on the web site, the last I checked was this last weekend and it worked fine. The note was not displaying on my Pre properly but looked fine on the web site. As of this morning I can't load the software at all, I just tried again before I posted this. I haven't tried the mobile web site yet but I will.

• 1 year later...

I have just developed a similar problem to the one described here after months of using Evernote on my Palm Pre. I have taken all the steps listed above, including deleting and reinstalling the app and rebooting. I did successfully go to http://www.evernote.com/m in the Palm Pre browser, but I am still getting a message "Unable to log in while offline" when I try to log in from the app.

Was there ever a resolution to this problem?

This is not an old problem with an old solution. Webos devices can't connect right now, something is wrong with the servers. I have 3 separate Webos devices, none will get online, but my Touchpad running Android has no trouble. (Same touchpad booted into Webos can't connect. I suspect an update in the Evernote server software is the problem. Haven't seen anyone talking about a fix.

Same here. I have a Pre 3 and a Touchpad and have been unable to get in for several days. We just returned from a trip and I don't want to lose my notes and pictures! I have just really started to use Evernote extensively in the past month or so.

Can we please get this fixed! Thank you.

First, for debugging purposes, can you try to go to: http://www.evernote.com/m on the Palm Pre browser. Try and log in there and make sure that works. Evernote for Palm Pre and the browser should be using similar means to communicate so that should be a good diagnostic to see if the problem is with the phone or network.

Assuming that all works, the next thing I'd try is creating a second Evernote account and try to log in. Assuming all that works out well there may be something in your specific account that's causing trouble. If that's the case, post back here and we'll try to figure something out. It's possible that you have a notebook or tag that's causing some problems but I haven't heard about that with the Pre.

If you have the Palm WebOS tools on computer there's more diagnostics we could do but they are a bit of effort to install so we'd rather you avoid that.

Thanks.

Unfortunately it appears this is what may be needed. From what we're seeing on WebosNation, the entire WebOS community has been shut down from Evernote both from the Evernote official webOS application as well as from E-Notes. All was working until the last Evernote server update. The only path that actually works is the web browser.

I've asked the question if anyone has tried it from the Emulator on the SDK. Awaiting a reply.

UPDATE: I tried creating a new account from within WebOS. The new account created, but when returning to the official application to log in it would not do so. The error is "Cannot log in from offline mode". It appears perhaps this is some kind of DNS problem as it can't even connect to the servers, let alone actually try to log in. Is it possible that a connection port has changed?

Thanks.

Unfortunately it appears this is what may be needed. From what we're seeing on WebosNation, the entire WebOS community has been shut down from Evernote both from the Evernote official webOS application as well as from E-Notes. All was working until the last Evernote server update. The only path that actually works is the web browser.

I've asked the question if anyone has tried it from the Emulator on the SDK. Awaiting a reply.

UPDATE: I tried creating a new account from within WebOS. The new account created, but when returning to the official application to log in it would not do so. The error is "Cannot log in from offline mode". It appears perhaps this is some kind of DNS problem as it can't even connect to the servers, let alone actually try to log in. Is it possible that a connection port has changed?

Same effect with me. Even with the web browser on my Pre3 I cannot log-in!

Any information as to when this problem will be solved? Obviously it is an issue on the EN server side after a software upgrade, therefore it should be possible to track this down ... There are quite some HP/Palm users out here, and the EN client was a serious reason to choose this device (Pre-) more than 2 years ago. It would be a pity if EN should give up now for this platform.

Thx in advance from Munich, EvB.

Can WebOS-users - please - get some kind of update whether or not there is progress with the bug fixing (if there are any attempts to have WebOS users access their EN-account via WebOS-devices)? It is highly frustrating not to be able to use the mobile device (Pre3, TouchPad) where EN works better than e.g. the Blackberry device. Thx from a day-1-user of EN on the Palm Pre in Germany, EvB.

Am having the "Unable to Log in while offline" problem for the past few weeks.

Have submitted a problem report to EN.

Have been told in an EN email that EN Engineering is working on many problems, that the engineers are addressing the problem in a defined order, and will eventually resolve the problem.

Meanwhile, I can only use the web app on my phone. Cannot enter data into the w\eb app.

Very frustrating because I'm an engineer working on many problems around my facility and very dependent on EN because of the data stored in it, and the need to enter new data while standing by a piece of manufacturing equipment.

Unfortunately, I don't have the "eventually" option........

Am having the "Unable to Log in while offline" problem for the past few weeks.

Have submitted a problem report to EN.

Have been told in an EN email that EN Engineering is working on many problems, that the engineers are addressing the problem in a defined order, and will eventually resolve the problem.

Meanwhile, I can only use the web app on my phone. Cannot enter data into the w\eb app.

Very frustrating because I'm an engineer working on many problems around my facility and very dependent on EN because of the data stored in it, and the need to enter new data while standing by a piece of manufacturing equipment.

Unfortunately, I don't have the "eventually" option........

Well, and even the web option does not work with my TouchPad - no access to EN via browser :angry:

Thanks.

On WebOSnation is was mentioned that there was a working API solution in a Sandbox environment, which was expected to be put in production this wednesday. Unfortunately nothing happened, and the issue still exists. When can we expect the API to be fixed?

Archived