syncCouldnotConnectToServer and 0% Can't send HTTP request, error: INTERNET_TIMEOUT

I kept on seeing this on my Activity Log. And syncing is a nightmare! I've done the TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2. Still getting Synchronization failure and Fatal Errors!

I was in touch with support who referred me to the tech team, who asked for the same things. And made me rebuild my EN database. Which is taking forever with these errors. My EN kept crashing too!

I'm running on Win 10 32-bit using EN version 5.9.1.8742.

Please help!

Hmmn.  It sounds as though your internet connection is not a good one.  Do you have difficulty with any other operations?  Downloads? Viewing Web Pages?

I was told by support that it's my internet connection that causing the sync problems. But the weird thing is, I have good connection everywhere else (websites, other apps connecting to the internet) BUT Evernote. :( I was advised to try another internet connection but it's not an option for me since this is the ISP that I use for work. :(

• Level 5*

Evernote needs a steady connection to sync all the note contents,  and gets upset when the connection drops out briefly.  You might not notice if a web page takes a bit longer to load,  or the connection drops briefly while you're reading a page,  but Evernote will notice,  and won't like it.  Do you have any internet access from anywhere else?  It would be worth trying another PC if you can (or this one on another connection) to see if the account works properly elsewhere.  If it does,  there's not a lot anyone can do I'm afraid...

Evernote needs a steady connection to sync all the note contents,  and gets upset when the connection drops out briefly.  You might not notice if a web page takes a bit longer to load,  or the connection drops briefly while you're reading a page,  but Evernote will notice,  and won't like it.  Do you have any internet access from anywhere else?  It would be worth trying another PC if you can (or this one on another connection) to see if the account works properly elsewhere.  If it does,  there's not a lot anyone can do I'm afraid...

I will surely look into this. Would you recommend an app or a website maybe that could detect intermittent connections? If it is my internet connection.. Oh man. My ISP isn't great at providing tech support and not fast in addressing these kinds of issues as well. Oh well, I shall get to it then. 

Thank you so much gazumped for all your help! I appreciate it! If ever I'd have more issues regarding Evernote I'll check the forums first or maybe just ask you. ;)

• Level 5*

There are no non-geeky ways to analyse the connection - especially if it's via a work network.  Probably better just to try to connect and go by your gut feel,  and possibly a lack of errors to judge whether it's a better or worse connection.

• Level 5*

I will surely look into this. Would you recommend an app or a website maybe that could detect intermittent connections? If it is my internet connection.. Oh man. My ISP isn't great at providing tech support and not fast in addressing these kinds of issues as well. Oh well, I shall get to it then. 

There are a number of tools available to help you with this.

Try doing a google search on "how to test for intermittent internet connection" and/or similar terms.

Evernote is not unique in needing a good internet connection to sync.  Today, there are many other systems that need this as well.

Dropbox is one of them.

You might try some sync tests with Dropbox to see if it has any problems.

This will help you isolate whether it is problem in general, or specific to Evernote.

There are a number of tools available to help you with this.

Try doing a google search on "how to test for intermittent internet connection" and/or similar terms.

Evernote is not unique in needing a good internet connection to sync.  Today, there are many other systems that need this as well.

Dropbox is one of them.

You might try some sync tests with Dropbox to see if it has any problems.

This will help you isolate whether it is problem in general, or specific to Evernote.

I've never had syncing/uploading problems with Dropbox. One more weird detail... I've been using EN for almost a month before this happened. I started out with Basic, upgraded to Plus, and now am running on Premium because I am part of the EN Business. It was ok before. Syncing wasn't a problem then. One day it just did until now. I've been experiencing this for maybe a week and a half now.

I also saw one post that if you have *** >>> <<< these symbols on your notes it'll mess up the sync. And you can't just search these. The post says that you have to manually look for these characters note per note. I have 1,200++ notes. Doing that could mean a huge headache for me. 

• Level 5*

I'd strongly suggest following up on your support ticket - Evernote will be able to analyse your Activity Log (Evernote > Help) and if there are any notes with problem characters they may be able to identify them for you - at least to the extent of giving you something that can be searched for.  But please do also try another internet connection - it's important at least to rule out the possibility of a faulty connection if it's not a factor in this issue.

I am in touch with one of the tech team from the ticket that I submitted before. For now, we're doing the rebuild, and it's taking too much time! Imagine, I have 1,200+ notes, and now I'm only at 276 for 2 days now. The support (who responded first before referring me to tech) got the activity log, we rebuild the database from the web (which took almost a day to sync - and not complete I might add) and told me some notebooks are having errors. Deleted those notebooks but the problem still persisted.

Now, tech asked for my activity log, we exported unsynced notes, and now rebuilding the local database, this process started 2 days ago and still counting :(

My work is home based. My client is in a different country and THIS is the only tool that we have for our files. So I highly rely on it. And it not syncing properly is giving me a really hard time to do my work. I have a work around which is to just work with the web app but it doesn't have all the functionality of the desktop app. And now it's acting up and giving me multiple identical entries, and loading delay. I'm really getting tired of this issue. :(

I'll try using another internet connection. Unfortunately, I am using a desktop computer and not a laptop so I'm not really mobile to test out different internet connections. Although, I have a backup internet connection which connects to the 3G network. I'll try that and see if it really is my connection that causes the sync issue.... unless my backup internet is faulty too, which could mean a dead end for me. :(

• Level 5*

Your slow rebuild is another clue that your connection appears not to be the best - I have 20,000+ notes and have rebuilt the database this year;  it took some hours,  but certainly not as long as 2 days!  Please don't be afraid to go back to support and ask why things are taking so long,  and why can't they hurry things up!  If you'd like to post your ticket number here we can ask an Admin to chase up your enquiry internally...

I know! It shouldn't take that long. I'll try my backup and see if it will show those error logs in the Activity log as well. Does Evernote also get's mad when the connection speed kind of slows down? or just when it's intermittent?

Here's my ticket number: 1271264

I really appreciate your help gazumped! Thank you! I hope this will be resolved soon. Because my boss is now looking into using another tool. I mean we'll still use this, but maybe it won't be our main tool. 

Archived