Is there any performance problem if I stored many notes in Evernote?

I mainly use Evernote PC, Evernote Web and Evernote iOS App. I currently stored around 100 notes with each size around few hundred kb to 10mb and found no performance problem except when I used too long the Evernote PC will consume many memories (seems without garbage collecting?). I expect that my notes will keep expanding to few thousands. Is there any performance difference between storing ~100 notes and  ~1000-9000 notes provided that each files size are similar, no some extremely big file.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I have around 21,000 notes and 14GB of database and Evernote is still perfectly usable.  My note sizes go from bytes to MB - URLs to 400-page PDF manuals.  According to my shaky math thats a 600KB average size note (give or take a zero).  Don't have any timings of what things were like when I started,  but it's still reasonably fast.

Hi.  I have around 21,000 notes and 14GB of database and Evernote is still perfectly usable.  My note sizes go from bytes to MB - URLs to 400-page PDF manuals.  According to my shaky math thats a 600KB average size note (give or take a zero).  Don't have any timings of what things were like when I started,  but it's still reasonably fast.

Good to hear this. Thanks!

• Level 5*

I mainly use Evernote PC, Evernote Web and Evernote iOS App. I currently stored around 100 notes with each size around few hundred kb to 10mb and found no performance problem except when I used too long the Evernote PC will consume many memories (seems without garbage collecting?). I expect that my notes will keep expanding to few thousands. Is there any performance difference between storing ~100 notes and  ~1000-9000 notes provided that each files size are similar, no some extremely big file.

Evernote performance seems to vary among the users that have posted in these forums.

Some report severe slowdown when they:

1. Have more than ~30,000 Notes
  2. Have large text Notes (> 10 pages or 5,000 words)
  3. Have Notes with large PDF files (>> 10MB)

Personally, I have > 14,000 Notes with none that are like #2 or #3 above, and the performance of EN Mac 6.1 on my MBP-15R with 16GB RAM is fast, except for startup of the app, and EN iOS 7.8 performance is fast as well on my iPhone 6+ with 64GB.

IMO, Evernote will eventually have to ensure/provide good performance for large accounts, or go out of business.  Since the Evernote slogan since the beginning has been to "put your life into Evernote" (paraphrase), many of us will at some point have very large accounts.  Evernote has also long advertised that  it supports up to 100,000 Notes.

There have been a number of threads discussing "performance" or "scalability" in these forums.

You might try searching the forum for those keywords.

Here is one example:

EN: Scalability Issue 

There is no simple answer to your excellent question, but I hope this will give you some information that you can use to decide for yourself.

Archived