Backupery - backup Evernote data to your computer automatically

Hello,

I am a co-founder of Backupery, we are making local backup software.

I am glad to present you Backupery for Evernote application. It is a lightweight application that makes automatic backup of Evernote notes to local hard drive.

Here are some highlights:

• The application is very small (~700KB) and easy to use.
  • Backup is started by scheduler, so a user doesn't need to run it manually.
  • We don't send any bit of your data beyond your computer, so all your data belongs to you only, forever.
  • The software works without internet connection (it is essential if you are travelling, for example).
  • Since the app utilizes Evernote-standart export technology (ENEX), no third-party tools are required for restoring (Evernote client is enough).
  • Since we are using ENEX-export, the app backups local (unsynchronized) notebooks and unsynchronized notes.
You could read more and download the application here: http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

It is for Windows only for now, but we are working on Mac version also.

Any questions, suggestions or ideas are highly appreciated, please let me know here, or use contact@backupery.com.

Best,

John

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi John.  I'm a little nervous about exports to Enex on a scheduled basis.  Export by default

• might take a long time - a full export of my c.21,000 notes seemed to take forever the last time I tried
  • doesn't preserve a notebook structure
  • breaks note-to-note links
  • doesn't include any clues as to notebook hierarchy
  • restores as one potentially huge notebook that could break even premium upload limits
  • might be happening at the same time I'm editing a note - which version survives?  (If I'm managing an export of my own,  I'm -by definition- not doing anything else!)

Can you provide any more comment on these points?  I can still see that there are huge advantages to having a set it and forget it backup,  and I think it's a great idea to make it really simple for the majority of users out there who need to be convinced that backups are a Good Idea,  but a full restore might take a very long time to sort out...

• Like 3

I have the same questing as Gazumped and

It seems that the default settings are every third hour.

With a huge database this will be hard

And make the users choose notebooks or stacks.

I have some notebooks like archive. To backup them every third hours is not necessary, not even once a week.

post-222013-0-47198100-1444877646_thumb.

• Like 1
Hi Gazumped and Morticia,

thank you very much for your feedback, I've taken everything into consideration. Here are my comments:

- might take a long time - a full export of my c.21,000 notes seemed to take forever the last time I tried

Export time depends on computer performance and each note size significantly. For example, we performed the test in our test lab for Evernote account with ~50.000 of notes, each note is about 5KB and it took ~1 minute only (Windows 8, Intel Core i7-4790, 3.60 GHz, 8GB RAM). Of course, we shouldn't treat this as a constant rule, but I am sure the export takes reasonable time. 

May I ask what is the size of your Evernote database? (If you on Windows, just open your Evernote client, then  Tools/Options/General tab shows you where your database is located. You can then view that folder in Explorer to get the folder size).

- doesn't preserve a notebook structure
- doesn't include any clues as to notebook hierarchy
- breaks note-to-note links
Yes, unfortunately it is a limitation of ENEX export of a whole Evernote database.

- restores as one potentially huge notebook that could break even premium upload limits

After restoring you could mark this notebook as local so it won't sync with Evernote servers, then select those notes that are should be synced and move them to notebooks that are synced with Evernote. Generally speaking, most backup solutions mean restoring large amounts of data in case of emergency. One of Backupery advantages is that all your backup data is stored locally, so you don't need to download it from clouds. 

- might be happening at the same time I'm editing a note - which version survives?  (If I'm managing an export of my own,  I'm -by definition- not doing anything else!)
Backupery exports unsynchronized notes too, so the note with the latest modifications will survive (even if it wasn't synchronized with Evernote servers).

- It seems that the default settings are every third hour.

It is just an obsolete screenshot on our website. Default settings are every third day.

One more note: actually we are going to add compression of backup directory + we have already implemented deletion of backup duplications.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know.

post-271664-0-48822400-1444908145_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi John,  thanks for your detailed answers.  My database size is 14GB / 21,000 notes - the average size,  as you'll see, is a lot higher than your model.  I digitised a library of documents so I have notes with lots of PDF pages.  At the moment I'm doing a local backup to external hard drives in two ways - including the Databases folder in my normal system backup,  and also copying the folder individually.  I'm currently running Win 8.1 and EN Desktop 5.9.2 beta on an 8GB I7 Dell.

You're right,  of course,  that restoring an ENEX file goes (by default I think) to a local notebook,  but I'm still concerned that if I ever had to restore my full database it would take me 2 months and a fair amount of extra work to get back to fully synced notes.  Nevertheless if the other choice was not to have any notes,  I think I could live with that...

Is there any chance that you'll consider offering a notebook-by-notebook backup at any stage?  That might answer Morticia's query about some notes not needing backup - like my own digitised library forinstance,  which is for reference,  not for frequent (or any) editing.  It wouldn't be a hardship to have one or more notebook(s) backed up once every 6 months,  while others got processed every few days...

I appreciate we're talking about - initially at least - a free product here,  so at some point the bells and whistles will start to incur a cost!

• Like 1
Hi Gazumped,
thanks for the information about your system.

Is there any chance that you'll consider offering a notebook-by-notebook backup at any stage?  That might answer Morticia's query about some notes not needing backup - like my own digitised library forinstance,  which is for reference,  not for frequent (or any) editing.  It wouldn't be a hardship to have one or more notebook(s) backed up once every 6 months,  while others got processed every few days...

Yes, selective backup seems very reasonable. We've taken this into an account already. I can't provide ETA for this feature now, but it will be on our roadmap.

- It seems that the default settings are every third hour.

It is just an obsolete screenshot on our website. Default settings are every third day.

One more note: actually we are going to add compression of backup directory + we have already implemented deletion of backup duplications.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know.

Hi

The screenshot in my post is from my computer.

And I can't change from 3 hours.

Is it a bug? Do you want my log file?

Every third day is okay!

Seems a bit over-enthusiastic...  :mellow:

Yeah

2 are exactly the same...

If I'm going to pay for this program I need

The choose notebooks

And how often

Before that I have some difficulty to find it practical

• Like 1
Morticia,

it turns out you are using obsolete version of the app. The current version is 2.0.853 (we have already changed the default backup period some time ago). Now the app makes backup every third day (I've just double-checked it). The program has to show notification about the new version though, probably we should make it more noticeable.

Anyway, you could download the latest version here: 

Morticia,

it turns out you are using obsolete version of the app. The current version is 2.0.853 (we have already changed the default backup period some time ago). Now the app makes backup every third day (I've just double-checked it). The program has to show notification about the new version though, probably we should make it more noticeable.

Anyway, you could download the latest version here: 

http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

Hi Okay, thanks.

Much better.

The old versions still on the webpage above the picture

"1. Download Backupery for Evernote to the computer where your Evernote application is installed."

And one more thing on my whishlist: Choose where to save the backups.

• Level 5*

OK I downloaded the app too (latest version) - first thoughts are: 

• on Install,  Windows immediately 'protected' me from unknown software - kinda unsettling if you aren't expecting it...
  • The first backup starts immediately without any warnings or options - agree with Morticia I'd like a choice where it goes,  and I'd suggest a 'backup now,  or postpone?' (for 1/2/4/8 hours) option.
  • Checking the About tab I see this is a trial version expiring on 31/10
  • Some sort of a progress bar would be good - I got 'working' but how do I know when it's finished?  Can I sleep/ switch off the machine in the meantime?

- I'll add any further comments when the operation finishes.  Currently running at 30% disk / 90% memory (4GB Win 8.0 lappy here).  More to follow...

• Like 1
Thank you for trying our app :)

on Install,  Windows immediately 'protected' me from unknown software - kinda unsettling if you aren't expecting it...
Yes, we know about the issue. In order to be trusted on Windows 8 any software publisher needs to either buy a digital certificate or distribute software through Microsoft Windows Store. We plan to get the certificate soon, so the warning will disappear.

Checking the About tab I see this is a trial version expiring on 31/10
By default, the trial period for the software is 14 days.

The first backup starts immediately without any warnings or options - agree with Morticia I'd like a choice where it goes,  and I'd suggest a 'backup now,  or postpone?' (for 1/2/4/8 hours) option.
Some sort of a progress bar would be good - I got 'working' but how do I know when it's finished?  Can I sleep/ switch off the machine in the meantime?
The remarks seem really reasonable, taking them all into account. As for backup completion - currently, if you shutdown the computer during backup process, the worst thing can happen is you get an incomplete backup file. But the next version of the app (it is being tested now) marks any backup as 'completed' if it is completed successfully only. So, if you shutdown the computer during backup process, the backup will be considered as 'incomplete' and the next time you start the computer the app will start to backup the data again.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I looked again at 2pm (install + 2 hours) and the Backupery window said 'working';  then checked again just - 5pm (+5hrs) and it showed the same - was preparing to be underwhelmed,  but when I checked the backup file location,  a 17GB file is happily sitting there with a modified time of 12.52 which is about an hour after install.  So it looks like even my heavyweight database got copied in an hour or less,  which is actually pretty good.  The EXB file is 14GB so there's a bit of expansion when you export,  but I have USB drives that are bigger than that.  (Wouldn't recommend using one though because the data transfer rates are pants*...)

Subject to the reservations and suggestions above,  this is a sweet bit of software.  Thanks!

* UK slang for sub-optimal in a bad way ;)

Thanks for the information! We've made a couple of new performance tests today and got that the application exports 1GB in ~3 minutes (we tested on Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM). Well, the results, in general, coincide with yours.

UK slang for sub-optimal in a bad way  ;)

I should remember that  :)

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Hello!

I am glad to introduce the new release of Backupery for Evernote 2.1!

We have collected feedback from our users and implemented the most requested features.

Here is the list of the new features:

• Ability to change backup destination. Now you could change backup destination that gives you the ability to store your backups to wide rande of destinations: built-in or external harddrives, network shares, USB sticks, cloud storages like Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, etc.
  • Ability to change backup period. Another frequently requested feature was added to the application. Backup period can be varied from 1 day to 1 month.
  • Improvements of the user interface. For example, a user could see if backup is in progress or finished already. Also, we have added the possibility to check for updates directly from the application, so no need to wait for update notification to perform an update. Surely, update notification continues to work. Also, the application looks better on Windows 7 and Windows 8 now.
Here are some screenshots:

001_BackuperyForEvernoteStatus.jpg

002_BackuperyForEvernoteSettings.jpg

Read more and download the app here: http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

I’d love to hear your thoughts on these new release. Please let me know what you think. Use this thread, PM or contact us at contact@backupery.com. Also, you could use anonymous feedback link directly from the application.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Hello!

Backupery for Evernote 2.5.98 is out!

Here are the most important changes in the software:

• You don’t need administrator rights to install and run Backupery applications anymore, since generic user rights are enough.
  • We have embedded auto-update feature into the applications, so you will not need to download and install new versions of the software manually, all the future versions will be delivered and installed automatically.
  • More accurate backup scheduling.
  • Minor bugfixes.

Download it here: http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the app. Please let me know what you think. Use this thread, PM or contact me at contact@backupery.com. Also, you could use anonymous feedback link directly from the application.

• Level 5*

Still Windows only.

On my Mac, I would be using an AppleScript to automate backups, however I do see a need for users who don't back up their local notebooks on a scheduled base.

I'm not seeing any notebook selection for backup, or separation of notebook backups.  I consider this a deficiency - I may not want to back up my sync'd notebooks, and I wouldn't want all my notebooks consolidated.

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Still Windows only.

On my Mac, I would be using an AppleScript to automate backups, however I do see a need for users who don't back up their local notebooks on a scheduled base.

I'm not seeing any notebook selection for backup, or separation of notebook backups.  I consider this a deficiency - I may not want to back up my sync'd notebooks, and I wouldn't want all my notebooks consolidated.

Yeah it is for Windows only for now.

Thanks for the hint - having an option to select notebooks to backup would be really useful. Will definitely consider implementing it :)

• 1 month later...

Hello Evernoters!

Backupery for Evernote 3.0 is here.

Here is the list of changes:

• Selective notebook backup. You could select notebooks which you wish to backup. 
  • The app preserves notebooks structure now. Notes from each notebook are saved to a separate backup file, so notebooks structure is preserved.
  • Display an amount of data backed on a last backup run.
  • Display a total amount of data backed since an application install.
  • Display an amount of free storage space.
  • Added ability to send support tickets directly from the application.
  • Bugixes and tiny user interface changes.

001_Status.png

002_Settings.png

No action required if you already using the application since the app will update itself to the latest version (thanks auto-update feature).

As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the app. Please let me know what you think. Use this thread, PM or contact me at contact@backupery.com
Also, I've embedded anonymous feedback form directly into the application.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, John Compton said:

Backupery for Evernote 3.0 is here.

John, looks like you've been doing some good work!

Is it possible to backup/export ONLY those notes which have changed or been added since the last backup/export?

14 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

John, looks like you've been doing some good work!

Thanks for the kind words :)

14 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Is it possible to backup/export ONLY those notes which have changed or been added since the last backup/export?

Yes, it is technically possible. We can export only new and modified notes on each run.

Actually backup size is an issue now. As far as I know, the average Evernote database size is 5-7 GB, so backup size for a month (say 1 backup per week) takes about 20-30 GB, that is large number, and also the data is duplicated significantly. So something should be done regarding the issue.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, John Compton said:

Yes, it is technically possible. We can export only new and modified notes on each run.

John, sorry if I'm being dense here, but please clarify:

Does the current version support incremental export (only new/modified notes), OR, are you referring to what is possible in a future version?

13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

John, sorry if I'm being dense here, but please clarify:

Does the current version support incremental export (only new/modified notes), OR, are you referring to what is possible in a future version?

No, the current version (3.0) doesn't support incremental export (new/updated notes). But we definitely should solve backup duplication issue in the future versions somehow.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Backupery for Evernote 4.0 has been released.

Here are the new features:

• The app preserves stack and notebook structure. For example, the notebook NNN from stack SSS is backed up to the directory NNN that is inside directory SSS.
  • The app provides two types of backup: Incremental and Full. If Incremental backup is turned on the app backups only new and updated notes, if case of Full backup the app backups all notes each time.
  • Added Run Now button. Now you can start the backup manually.
  • Bugfixes that increase stability of the app.

Backupery_Status_001.png

Backupery_Settings_001.png

No action required if you already using the application since the app will update itself.

Please let me know what you think. Send me your issues, ideas or questions at contact@backupery.com, or use this thread or PM.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, EverDanielW said:

Hi John,

Does Backupery include tag data in the backups?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi EverDanielW,

Yep, it does include tag data in the backups. So if you import your notes back, they will contain tag data.

Thanks,

John

• 4 months later...

Hello Evernoters!

Backupery for Evernote macOS is here: https://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/
It is application for backing up Evernote data on the destination of your choice.

Some notes:
- It works with non-AppStore version of Evernote: https://evernote.com/download/
- Performs backup to ENEX format
- Autostarts with your Mac
- Simple scheduler to run backup regularly

It is a beta version of the software, so please let me know about any issues with app.

• 1 month later...

Hey John,

Just downloaded the Mac version trial, which doesn't appear to be a beta version.  However, a number of features in Widows version appear to be missing such as choice between full and incremental backups, and the capability to choose one or more notebooks. Also, there is no feedback that indicates that a backup is underway. Without it, I though the program was not working but actually created three backups.

Am I missing something or "WYSIWYG?"

• Level 5*
On 2/24/2017 at 4:58 AM, John Compton said:

Backupery for Evernote macOS is here: https://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/
It is application for backing up Evernote data on the destination of your choice.

John, that is very good to hear (see)!

Do you have any plans to automate a restore (recovery, actually) of selected Notes or Notebooks?

On 3/31/2017 at 0:05 AM, Tailspin said:

Hey John,

Just downloaded the Mac version trial, which doesn't appear to be a beta version.  However, a number of features in Widows version appear to be missing such as choice between full and incremental backups, and the capability to choose one or more notebooks. Also, there is no feedback that indicates that a backup is underway. Without it, I though the program was not working but actually created three backups.

Am I missing something or "WYSIWYG?"

Hi Tailspin,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for giving the app a try! 
Actually yes, the Windows version provides more capabilities than the Mac one. However, we are going to add more features to the Mac version to make it more flexible. 

Also, there is no feedback that indicates that a backup is underway.

Hmm, thanks for the note! We should definitely consider adding it. 

May I ask do you have any other issues besides you have already noted? Does everything work as expected?

On 4/1/2017 at 10:20 PM, JMichaelTX said:

John, that is very good to hear (see)!

Do you have any plans to automate a restore (recovery, actually) of selected Notes or Notebooks?

Hi JMichaelTX,

The restoration feature is on our roadmap, but for now I am not sure it doesn't clash with Evernote Premium note history feature so it will make our app violate Evernote third-party apps policy. I will research this and if we are allowed to add the feature, we should create this, I think it will make the app much more easy to use.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, John Compton said:

The restoration feature is on our roadmap, but for now I am not sure it doesn't clash with Evernote Premium note history feature so it will make our app violate Evernote third-party apps policy.

I would hope that it does not conflict.

What would be ideal is if you could provide more of a true restore feature than Evernote offers.  By this I mean this type of restore process:

1. User selects a Note in Evernote
  2. User then asks for a Backupery restore
  3. Backupery presents a list of available backups, including Note title, D/T of backup, Note sized, with an option for viewing the backup contents.  On the Mac using the quick preview would be a great option.
  4. User selects the backup, and Backupery replaces the current Note contents from the Backup, including attachments

This would keep the original Note GUID, which is very important.

Do you think this is feasible?

4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I would hope that it does not conflict.

What would be ideal is if you could provide more of a true restore feature than Evernote offers.  By this I mean this type of restore process:

1. User selects a Note in Evernote
  2. User then asks for a Backupery restore
  3. Backupery presents a list of available backups, including Note title, D/T of backup, Note sized, with an option for viewing the backup contents.  On the Mac using the quick preview would be a great option.
  4. User selects the backup, and Backupery replaces the current Note contents from the Backup, including attachments

This would keep the original Note GUID, which is very important.

Do you think this is feasible?

I think yes, generally it is feasible since Evernote Client stores its data inside Sqlite database and the format of the database is well documented. However, problably the workflow will differ from those you have suggested, since as far as I know Evernote doesn't allow to modify the behavior of their official clients via third-party apps, so the steps 1 and 2 (User selects a Note in Evernote, User then asks for a Backupery restore) have to be accomplished in some other way. Probably it would be some third-party note browser just for purpose of restoring the note or notebook.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, John Compton said:

as far as I know Evernote doesn't allow to modify the behavior of their official clients via third-party apps

I'm not sure if AppleScript counts as a third-party app in this context, but I do exactly that all the time using an AppleScript script and/or a Keyboard Maestro macro.

For example, I am in a Note in Evernote, and trigger a script to get the text on the first line to set the Creation Date and URL of the Note.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2017 at 10:02 PM, JMichaelTX said:

I'm not sure if AppleScript counts as a third-party app in this context, but I do exactly that all the time using an AppleScript script and/or a Keyboard Maestro macro.

For example, I am in a Note in Evernote, and trigger a script to get the text on the first line to set the Creation Date and URL of the Note.

This is interesting. Thanks for the hint, will definitely look into it.

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

We've released a new version of Backupery for Evernote for Windows :) You may download it here: https://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

Here are some updates:

• The ability to backup directly to Dropbox (without the need of an intermediate local directory):                                      Evernote_Settings_Backup_To_Dropbox.png
  • The ability to backup data in HTML format so you can easy to view your exported notes.                        Evernote_Settings_Tab_Html_Export_Marked
  • You may setup multiple backup destinations now, so you can duplicate you backup data to your local drive and USB drive at once, for example. Evernote_Settings_BackupDestinations.png
  • It’s much more easier to select notebooks to backup now:                             Evernote_Settings_Select_Notebooks_To_Ba

Download page: https://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

Please let me know what you think. Any ideas, suggestions, and questions are highly appreciated!

• Level 5*

Hi.  I downloaded to evaluate - always looking for better ways to back up my precious data.  Was surprised that downloading and starting the installer didn't seem to 'do' anything.  Searched my desktop (three screens,  lots of windows - long story) and found a little window tucked away behind everything else that said 'backup in progress' (or some such). 

I was surprised.  I'd made no choices about type of backup,  to which drive etc etc...

The window sat there without any indication that anything was happening until I went to eat.  Came back (much) later and now I have this -

Clipboard-1.png.efc0ef0c7de091db09c575d81417fc8c.png

Still no sign where my backup is,  though I'm sure I'll find it.  Still - nice that it works 'out of the box' so to speak without lots of pre-setting up,  but BAD that I have a 4GB backup of my 17GB database- apparently (according to the 'settings' page) on an 'incremental' basis.  If this is a first use,  wouldn't a full backup be better?  Or better yet a dialogue on installation inviting me to choose and maybe defer the backup until I stop working?  (Although the backup-in-progress didn't visibly slow anything down,  so full marks there!)

Anyway.  I'll get a full backup and see whether that's a bigger file.  Please work on your install process though.  It's rude and uninformative at the moment

• Like 1

Hi Gazumped!

Thanks so much for trying the tool, I really appreciate it. The feedback is very important for us, since it gives us fresh look on what confuses users and what should be improved.

but BAD that I have a 4GB backup of my 17GB database- apparently (according to the 'settings' page) on an 'incremental' basis.  If this is a first use,  wouldn't a full backup be better? 

I've reproduced this problem in my lab and I'm currently working on it. For now I could say the app mistakenly skips some notebooks during the backup for some reason. I'll post here about the results.

Thanks again for trying and providing such actionable feedback!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Here is a quick update on the problem that leads some notebooks are skipped from the backup. 

As you probably know, at some step of backup process the app uses ENScript.exe (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php#enscript) tool to perform export of notebooks. We've discovered that the tool hangs sometimes exporting large notebooks (> 2GB) with no apparent reason. The problem arises sporadically, so we still haven't found clear steps to reproduce the issue, but I suppose this is because of some kind of notebook "locking" since trying to run the same export after a few hours often helps so the backup completes successfully. 

I'll report the issue to Evernote, hope they shed some light on the issue.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Have been letting the backups rip for a while to see how things went.  I started out with an incremental backup and then switched to full since I hadn't used the app before;  I might have left it on 'full' and 'daily' for a few days now. 

My Google drive seems to be a bit full,  since I backed up to my local hard drive plus the Google folder with some confused idea that I'd make the backup files 'online only';  which doesn't seem possible with this setup.  It does max out memory,  drive access and network access in the process of a backup.

memory.png.36c5035c3e1aff56ceade56076316ff0.png  595faee960102_diskaccess.png.23e16f5be4b61bd8987828702d49efae.png

Haven't gone through my Google contents to see how much of my big main notebook got captured yet..

All that slows down my access a lot - any chance of a timed operation - "daily at 1700" sort of thing?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Further to the last post...  Started getting more urgent drive full messages from Google,  so took a look at the folder.  After 14 days of backups I was using over 80GB of storage (daily mixed full and incremental backups) in just over 100 folders,  14 files per folder.  (Each notebook gets exported to its own ENEX file)

Looked for a way to tell Backupery to keep a rolling 5 days' history (ie: replace backups over nn days old) - none available that I can see.

Started deleting all backups from June - 6 files per folder.  100+ times.  Glup.

So:  deleted all the history so far,  reset the backup to incremental,  and we'll see what happens with the next scheduled backup,  which (the app tells me) is in an hour - at midday.  Would prefer to change that to 11pm or so - but see previous post.  :huh:

God job I kept up my 'other' backup process meanwhile.

So:  needed please -

• timed backups
  • history clear-outs (replace files over x days old)
  • manual clearance - delete files over x days old

One question:  If I do an incremental backup,  but have no recent full backup,  what is this 'incremental' to?  All recently changed notes? Today's date? Unsynced notes?

• Like 1

Hi gazumped!

Thanks so much for checking out the tool and for your feedback.

I started out with an incremental backup and then switched to full since I hadn't used the app before;  I might have left it on 'full' and 'daily' for a few days now. 

If I do an incremental backup,  but have no recent full backup,  what is this 'incremental' to?  All recently changed notes? Today's date? Unsynced notes?

It works the following way for the incremental backup: if the app sees there is no previous notebook backup at all, then it makes full notebook backup, i.e. exports all the notes from the notebook. That is why the first incremental backup is actually the full one.
If some previous notebook backup exists, then the app exports notes that were added or updated after the latest backup. Here is a quick example:

Say I have a notebook called Notebook1 and run the app for the first time at the 1st of July 4.30 A.M. Since there is no previous backup, then the app makes full backup of the notebook and creates the single enex file in Notebook1 directory:

<StoragePath>\Notebook1\2017_July_01_04_30_00.enex

Let's say the next run is at the 3rd of July 10.30 A.M. Since the previous backup already exists the app exports all the added/updated notes that were introduced between the 1st of July 4.30 A.M. and the 3rd of July 10.30 A.M., so the backup directory contains:

<StoragePath>\Notebook1\2017_July_01_04_30_00.enex  <-- the first backup (full backup)
<StoragePath>\Notebook1\2017_July_03_10_30_00.enex  <-- added/updated notes after the 1st of July 4.30 A.M. till now (i.e. till the 3rd of July 10.30 A.M.)

On the next run (say at the 5th of July 11.00 A.M.) it exports added/updated notes between the the 3rd of July 10.30 A.M. and the 5th of July 11.00 A.M.

All that slows down my access a lot - any chance of a timed operation - "daily at 1700" sort of thing?

timed backups

In fact, I'm began working on it a short time ago. I can't provide ETA for now, but I think it will be ready for the following couple of releases.

history clear-outs (replace files over x days old)

Actually it is a frequently requested feature, so it's already on our roadmap. 

manual clearance - delete files over x days old

I think I got your idea, but just to double-check: you wish to have the ability to remove backup files over x days old without entering each of 100 directories and manually delete each file, right?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Thanks for a full and very helpful answer!  I now understand the logic behind the process - all due respect that's actually quite a sophisticated feature - I'd suggest you highlight it more on your website or FAQs (unless you already do,  in which case I missed it!)

Re:

13 hours ago, Backupery said:

I think I got your idea, but just to double-check: you wish to have the ability to remove backup files over x days old without entering each of 100 directories and manually delete each file, right?

Absolutely.  My answer to the multiple folder problem yesterday was to zap everything and start over.  If Backupery was my only backup solution I'd be most reluctant to clear all my history that way.

Thanks again for your help - and I'll look forward to the scheduled backups being available...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the issue that may prevent a large notebook from backing up. (As you probably remember, some large notebooks can't be exported successfully with no apparent reason)

I've got the reply from Evernote Team - they're aware of this issue and working on a fix to be scheduled in a future release, but they don't currently have an ETA for when it will be resolved.

So, hope it will be fixed in the next release of Evernote client.

Meanwhile, I'll try to create some kind of workaround for the issue.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 27/07/2017 at 7:02 AM, Backupery said:

Just an update on the issue that may prevent a large notebook from backing up. (As you probably remember, some large notebooks can't be exported successfully with no apparent reason)

I've got the reply from Evernote Team - they're aware of this issue and working on a fix to be scheduled in a future release, but they don't currently have an ETA for when it will be resolved.

So, hope it will be fixed in the next release of Evernote client.

Meanwhile, I'll try to create some kind of workaround for the issue.

Hi.  Haven't seen any follow-up messages on this,  but I just re-installed Backupery and the first backup appears to have copied my whole database correctly.  I had uninstalled the product because it was slowing my laptop too much,  and generating HUGE folders full of copies,  without necessarily having properly backed up the database.  If things are slightly better now,  I might go back to giving this a go...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Haven't seen any follow-up messages on this,  but I just re-installed Backupery and the first backup appears to have copied my whole database correctly.  I had uninstalled the product because it was slowing my laptop too much,  and generating HUGE folders full of copies,  without necessarily having properly backed up the database.  If things are slightly better now,  I might go back to giving this a go...

Unrelated to backupery, but have you successfully restored from a large notebook backup?  It’s been a while, but I could not get the import to work.  The import would crash at different points.  I had to split my prime notebook into two export files (did it by date FYI).  Worked with support for a bit, but never got resolved.  Just wondering.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi gazumped,
I'm sorry for not following-up on this. The export hang issue took much time since we can't reproduce the issue in our lab and so base our research on responses from our users who stumbles upon the problem. As for now, we haven't experienced the issue since Evernote 6.9.6.6729 (at the time of writing the current version is 6.11.2.7027 (307027)) so I hope the issue is gone. However, I'll continue our observation and will research it further if necessary. 

As for slowing laptop too much - I can confirm it's really the issue now, so the next version of the app will have a fix that allows to run an export process with a custom priority so it doesn't hurt computer performance. I will update this thread when the new version is out.

23 hours ago, gazumped said:

without necessarily having properly backed up the database

sorry I'm afraid I don't get it. Do you mean the app should back up the database before starting the export process?

23 hours ago, CalS said:

Unrelated to backupery, but have you successfully restored from a large notebook backup?  It’s been a while, but I could not get the import to work.  The import would crash at different points.  I had to split my prime notebook into two export files (did it by date FYI).  Worked with support for a bit, but never got resolved.  Just wondering.

We haven't experienced any issues restoring a notebook from an ENEX file. Probably the notebooks weren't large enough though. Just for our records - may I ask what the platform (Windows or Mac) was and the rough size of the notebook was?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Backupery said:

We haven't experienced any issues restoring a notebook from an ENEX file.

I hit this once (.enex import issue) and it soured me on enex backups.  
It was a Mac and approx 5000 notes.

Packing all your data into a single file; what could possibly go wrong.
I've switched to html export with separate files for each note.

To recover local notebooks, I rely on a full database restore from my TimeMachine backups.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Backupery said:

We haven't experienced any issues restoring a notebook from an ENEX file. Probably the notebooks weren't large enough though. Just for our records - may I ask what the platform (Windows or Mac) was and the rough size of the notebook was?

Windows platform.  In the neighborhood of 17k notes about 10GB file size when I first encountered the issue, September of last year.  The notebook has grown since then so splitting 19k notes into two notebooks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, Backupery said:

sorry I'm afraid I don't get it. Do you mean the app should back up the database before starting the export process?

My bad - poor explanation on my part.  With the previous incomplete copy of big database backup problems I was running the app set for a full backup to ENEX to check the size of the finished backups.  With a 19.4GB database,  I was getting a range of sizes of total ENEX files from 4GB up to 19GB - most clearly not a full backup of the database,  just partial copies.  I eventually gave up on it,  since I didn't feel I could rely on it.  I started again and the total ENEX files for the latest backup are around 23GB from the same size database...  I'll wait for the next run to see what happens!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, DTLow said:

Actually that may have changed since you last tried - my backups now come out as one ENEX in one folder per notebook.  If only there was a way to compare notebook contents within Evernote,  I could restore one notebook to a temporary location and check whether it is an accurate copy...

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

If only there was a way to compare notebook contents within Evernote,  I could restore one notebook to a temporary location and check whether it is an accurate copy...

Or manually export the notebook and do a byte compare as a SWAG.  Just tested with 8 notes, exported by notes and then by notebook.  Seems to match.  YMMV.  ;)

ScreenClip.png.6aa4e167f67e368442736c3300189ba0.png

• Like 1
On 5/5/2018 at 7:44 PM, DTLow said:

I hit this once (.enex import issue) and it soured me on enex backups.  
It was a Mac and approx 5000 notes.

I've switched to html export with separate files for each note.

To recover local notebooks, I rely on a full database restore from my TimeMachine backups.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:46 PM, CalS said:

Windows platform.  In the neighborhood of 17k notes about 10GB file size when I first encountered the issue, September of last year.  The notebook has grown since then so splitting 19k notes into two notebooks.

Thanks for the information. Yes, probably a very large file is the reason of the problem so the system just can't handle it correctly and import fails. I've just thought that since an ENEX file is basically an XML file so it can be broken up into small parts (other ENEX files) automatically during export process. In this case restoration would be a little more complicated (we would need to import several ENEX files instead of large one), but I think it's worth the efforts. What do you think on this?

On 5/6/2018 at 1:19 PM, gazumped said:

My bad - poor explanation on my part.  With the previous incomplete copy of big database backup problems I was running the app set for a full backup to ENEX to check the size of the finished backups.  With a 19.4GB database,  I was getting a range of sizes of total ENEX files from 4GB up to 19GB - most clearly not a full backup of the database,  just partial copies.  I eventually gave up on it,  since I didn't feel I could rely on it.  I started again and the total ENEX files for the latest backup are around 23GB from the same size database...  I'll wait for the next run to see what happens!

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, it was a problem with ENScript.exe tool on Windows that led to sporadic hang of the export process for large notebooks. I hope the issue is gone now but I'm still observing export logs in my test lab just to be informed if the problem occurs again. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Backupery said:

Thanks for the information. Yes, probably a very large file is the reason of the problem so the system just can't handle it correctly and import fails. I've just thought that since an ENEX file is basically an XML file so it can be broken up into small parts (other ENEX files) automatically during export process. In this case restoration would be a little more complicated (we would need to import several ENEX files instead of large one), but I think it's worth the efforts. What do you think on this?

I would think it would be a good idea, particularly if it is as invisible as possible to the user.  OTOH, since the files are visible perhaps creating 2000 note chunks (or whatever a safe size is, assuming there is one) would be a good idea.  Export the notes by date range so it would be easier to recover a specific note if need be by selecting the right chunk.  Add the appropriate wording to the file name.  Zip the set of files too.

Downside, the viability of your product is linked to EN addressing the import issue, such that there is never any doubt that it works..  At least for folks with larger notebooks. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, CalS said:

I would think it would be a good idea, particularly if it is as invisible as possible to the user.

Agreed,  though I'm a little worried about the file management side of this. 

Currently the my Backupery app saves one ENEX file per notebook in a subfolder*,  with the next backup for that notebook going into the same folder.  I'm currently using incremental backups,  so my initial 21GB file for my main notebook is followed by a subsequent 3MB backup covering changes.  At some stage I'm going to want to get another complete backup to replace lots of small incremental files and start over. 

There's currently no way to manage that - if you have a lot of notebooks that means visiting each. mortal. one. to tidy up the file structure - or (my favourite) changing the backup destination to start another folder tree.  I've already suggested that Backupery should include some backup management options,  like overwriting the oldest files after an optional number (3+) complete backups,  otherwise storage space is rapidly going to fill up.  Limiting file size just makes that process more complicated.

*for the sake of clarity - that's one notebook in one folder,  with the next notebook getting its own folder,  so there's a complete tree for all the folders,  local and synced,  under the main backup destination.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

There's currently no way to manage that

Haven’t signed up as yet, pending EN fixing big notebook import. My thought though was to just get a TB USB drive and do full backups, particularly for local notebooks which aren’t as large.  Good idea - bad idea?   Still need some universal file managemeny for sure.  

Does the tool do a consolidated import based on the incremental backups, or do you roll your own?

Musing as I typed this, I guess to get some automation I could turn my main notebook into a stack of notebooks by year or something, simulate what I do today.  Really, really don’t want to do that, import needs to get fixed.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, CalS said:

Good idea - bad idea?

Good idea I think.  I like the fact that Backupery will automate full and partial backups without my having to keep much of an eye on things,  and my intention is to have a dedicated external drive backing up the laptop and (separately) my Evernote database.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Does the tool do a consolidated import based on the incremental backups, or do you roll your own?

That,  as we say in Blighty,  is a jolly good question.  There's no 'restore' in this app,  you're reliant on Evernote's on-board Import option. 

@Backupery do I have this part right? -

It appears that importing the initial full backup will restore a copy of all notes at a given date,  with the later imported incremental files amending some of that,  plus any previous incremental imports that were 'restored' already.  But AFAIK those imports will go into different temporary notebooks during the import process so you'll have multiple conflicting copies of some notes,  and duplicates of others (???) - a major mess to sort out to ensure you have the latest copy of all notes!!  I could have that wrong,  but it looks like a major issue. 

Incrementals are therefore pretty useless as a 'proper' backup if you may want to restore some or all of it later - it's much easier (but much more intrusive when it happens) to do a full backup each time!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Incrementals are therefore pretty useless as a 'proper' backup if you may want to restore some or all of it later - it's much easier (but much more intrusive when it happens) to do a full backup each time!

Thanks, confirmed my thinking.  Okay, I suppose to restore an incremental only if you are reasonably sure of the date might work, but when is that going to happen.  ?

Thank you very much for your comments!

On 5/8/2018 at 2:00 PM, gazumped said:

There's currently no way to manage that - if you have a lot of notebooks that means visiting each. mortal. one. to tidy up the file structure - or (my favourite) changing the backup destination to start another folder tree.  I've already suggested that Backupery should include some backup management options,  like overwriting the oldest files after an optional number (3+) complete backups,  otherwise storage space is rapidly going to fill up.  Limiting file size just makes that process more complicated.

We're currently working on the retention policy feature, hope it will be available soon. Basically it will work the following way - a user sets the maximum number of backup sets that the tool should retain so the obsolete backup files are deleted automatically. 

22 hours ago, CalS said:

Musing as I typed this, I guess to get some automation I could turn my main notebook into a stack of notebooks by year or something, simulate what I do today.  Really, really don’t want to do that, import needs to get fixed.

21 hours ago, gazumped said:

@Backupery do I have this part right? -

It appears that importing the initial full backup will restore a copy of all notes at a given date,  with the later imported incremental files amending some of that,  plus any previous incremental imports that were 'restored' already.  But AFAIK those imports will go into different temporary notebooks during the import process so you'll have multiple conflicting copies of some notes,  and duplicates of others (???) - a major mess to sort out to ensure you have the latest copy of all notes!!  I could have that wrong,  but it looks like a major issue. 

You are absolutely right. Currently the tool doesn't provide an import option so users have to roll their own import routine based on Full or Incremental backup types. 

If we are talking about full backups the import process basically looks clear, except the possible large file import issue. Though I hope it can be solved by splitting a large ENEX file into small safe files.

If we are talking about incremental backups it might be not an easy task to restore the data to the desired state (the issues described above by Gazumped take place). So yes, we definitely should improve the restoration for incremental backups. 
I'm currently thinking about the following option: what if when a user requests restoration from incremental backups the tool would automatically glue the first full backup with the following incremental backups? So if a user requests restoration to some date in the past then the tool produces a single ENEX file that contains the full backup to the desired date. Well, as we already noted, importing a full backup looks easier than importing incremental backups. I'll investigate this option.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
On 5/9/2018 at 6:11 AM, Backupery said:

I'm currently thinking about the following option: what if when a user requests restoration from incremental backups the tool would automatically glue the first full backup with the following incremental backups? So if a user requests restoration to some date in the past then the tool produces a single ENEX file that contains the full backup to the desired date.

What does "glue" mean in this context?  Potentially multiple versions of the same note in the resultant imported notebook?  Without access to a note ID (I don't think it is in the ENEX export) I'm not sure how you put a notebook back together cumulatively.   Plus I don't think deletes can be managed with incremental backups.  So incremental backups may not work well for creating the status of the notebook as of date x.  Full backups would be needed.

Otherwise stitching together base plus incremental backups for selective note recovery (oopses in my case) would be fine.  Also like the purge after x versions concept.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Back to practical considerations - in light of the above I switched back to full backups,  so now have several folders with a 'grandfather' notebook ENEX file,  several partial backups files,  and (now) another 'father' backup.  Unfortunately the backup hit while I was working earlier,  so my system disk resources were maxed out by Backupery activity.  It was not a happy time.  There's no clock on the backups either,  so unless I start a new backup at a different time,  I can look forward to the same problem every day from now. 

Obviously my last act today will be to start a new backup series at a new folder location,  using a date or number identifier for the backup destination that I can change easily.  But the app really really needs a 'pause' or 'delay' button so that backups don't slow the system down at a busy time,  and(or) a clock so I can set a time for the backup process to start. 

Automatic purging of older files would also be good so I can set a (maybe) one-week limit to the number of files I'll collect - and it would be really good if the folders containing notebook backups could be grouped below a parent level for that single backup;  so you'd have Monday/notebook1,  /notebook2,  /notebook3 etc,  then Tuesday/n1, /n2 etc.  If I ever want to restore my whole database or move it across to another device,  each set of notebook files will be easier to identify and use.

With my big database and a total for all files of around 20GB per backup,  a week's worth of activity will use 150GB which is about as much 'spare' disk space as I want to afford!  (Though I might be tempted to save a separate set of backups once each month so I can reach back 6 months if I need to...?)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Back to practical considerations

Practical consideration might be can you import your largest export?  If not, some sort of parsing of the notebook is needed.  IMHO.

23 hours ago, CalS said:

What does "glue" mean in this context?  Potentially multiple versions of the same note in the resultant imported notebook?  Without access to a note ID (I don't think it is in the ENEX export) I'm not sure how you put a notebook back together cumulatively.   Plus I don't think deletes can be managed with incremental backups.  So incremental backups may not work well for creating the status of the notebook as of date x.  Full backups would be needed.

Otherwise stitching together base plus incremental backups for selective note recovery (oopses in my case) would be fine.  Also like the purge after x versions concept.

Yes, you are right, there is no note ID information inside the ENEX export. What I'm thinking about is to read database in order to find ID of the exported note. It seems we have enough information in ENEX file at the export time to find out the ID of the note. Then we should store it somewhere just to be able to track the changes further. Basically it's a theoretical idea so I'll do some research.  

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Back to practical considerations - in light of the above I switched back to full backups,  so now have several folders with a 'grandfather' notebook ENEX file,  several partial backups files,  and (now) another 'father' backup.  Unfortunately the backup hit while I was working earlier,  so my system disk resources were maxed out by Backupery activity.  It was not a happy time.  There's no clock on the backups either,  so unless I start a new backup at a different time,  I can look forward to the same problem every day from now. 

Obviously my last act today will be to start a new backup series at a new folder location,  using a date or number identifier for the backup destination that I can change easily.  But the app really really needs a 'pause' or 'delay' button so that backups don't slow the system down at a busy time,  and(or) a clock so I can set a time for the backup process to start. 

Automatic purging of older files would also be good so I can set a (maybe) one-week limit to the number of files I'll collect - and it would be really good if the folders containing notebook backups could be grouped below a parent level for that single backup;  so you'd have Monday/notebook1,  /notebook2,  /notebook3 etc,  then Tuesday/n1, /n2 etc.  If I ever want to restore my whole database or move it across to another device,  each set of notebook files will be easier to identify and use.

With my big database and a total for all files of around 20GB per backup,  a week's worth of activity will use 150GB which is about as much 'spare' disk space as I want to afford!  (Though I might be tempted to save a separate set of backups once each month so I can reach back 6 months if I need to...?)

Thanks so much for the feedback. I've reviewed it carefully and took much of it into consideration. Actually the feedback is so essential since it is based on what a real user feel is important, which often can be very different from what I think is important ? Hope many of the requirements will be available in the next version of the app, so I'll keep this thread updated!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Feel free to DM if you have any other questions.  I am going to hold off on doing anything pending the fixing of the import issue.  I have to create multiple exports per big notebook in the meantime.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Me too with the DM - and an additional use case:  I just had to restore my laptop to a previous date because the OS was shutting itself down randomly today.  (I must have fixed something that didn't actually need fixing or something). 

Resetting to a week ago,  we're back to normal - but after a solid 30 minutes of other issues,  I now have to wait until Backupery completes another backup or kill the processes in Taskmanager.  The app is showing the next backup as 'yesterday' so I guess it was affected by the system restore;  it kicked off a backup as soon as the OS loaded up.

On another subject:  I was intrigued by one post that seems relevant here...  This fix originally from @Austin G has been rolled out a few times with (apparently) excellent results,  and seems to get totally around the drawback of simply copying the whole Evernote database (in Windows, anyway). 

It's apparently possible to parse an original EXB file on the fly into individual ENEX files (including tag data),  one per notebook.  There's still that current problem of big imports,  but copying an EXB is a lot easier and (I'm guessing) quicker than ENEXing individual notebooks...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

It's apparently possible to parse an original EXB file on the fly into individual ENEX files (including tag data),  one per notebook.  There's still that current problem of big imports,  but copying an EXB is a lot easier and (I'm guessing) quicker than ENEXing individual notebooks...

Plus, if for whatever reason, you want ENEX's of your current data base you can do it in one fell swoop by simply logging out and following the process.  For example, I 7-zip (compress and encrypt) my local ENEX's and store the result in the cloud so as to have off site back up.  Definitely a quicker way of doing getting the ENEX's even if I toss the synced ENEX's. 

However, the automation of Backuppery has some appeal, all the above pending the import issue getting resolved.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 10:41 PM, CalS said:

Feel free to DM if you have any other questions.  I am going to hold off on doing anything pending the fixing of the import issue.  I have to create multiple exports per big notebook in the meantime.  Good luck.

20 hours ago, gazumped said:

Me too with the DM

Thanks for your assistance! 

Resetting to a week ago,  we're back to normal - but after a solid 30 minutes of other issues,  I now have to wait until Backupery completes another backup or kill the processes in Taskmanager.  The app is showing the next backup as 'yesterday' so I guess it was affected by the system restore;  it kicked off a backup as soon as the OS loaded up.

Got it. Will fix that for the next release.

On another subject:  I was intrigued by one post that seems relevant here...  This fix originally from @Austin G has been rolled out a few times with (apparently) excellent results,  and seems to get totally around the drawback of simply copying the whole Evernote database (in Windows, anyway). 

19 hours ago, CalS said:

Plus, if for whatever reason, you want ENEX's of your current data base you can do it in one fell swoop by simply logging out and following the process.  For example, I 7-zip (compress and encrypt) my local ENEX's and store the result in the cloud so as to have off site back up.  Definitely a quicker way of doing getting the ENEX's even if I toss the synced ENEX's. 

It looks interesting! I didn't know about this feature of Evernote client. Saving single EXB file looks much more simple than exporting a whole account to ENEX. It's something I should research  thoroughly. Thanks for pointing me to this direction.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

New release of Backupery for Evernote is here.

What's new:

• Backup retention policy (allows to set how many backup snapshots the app keeps on a backup destination)
  • Ability to set time of a day when backup is scheduled
  • Manual backup mode. It allows to perform backups manually when needed without being tied to a specific backup schedule
  • Ability to cancel running backup
  • Added support for official Evernote client installed from Microsoft Store (applicable for Windows edition)
  • Works similar for Windows and Mac
  • Lots of bugs were fixed

More features coming soon!

Download it here: https://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

Windows app:

Evernote_Status_Tab_Clean.png

Mac app:

Evernote_Status_Tab_Clean.png

Here is a bit more info with screenshots: https://www.backupery.com/backupery-for-evernote-9-is-available/

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Backupery for Evernote users, please note, our app does not support Evernote 10 and above yet. To continue using Backupery for Evernote, please use Evernote 6.25.1 and under. We're sorry for the inconvenience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Denis L said:

Backupery for Evernote users, please note, our app does not support Evernote 10 and above yet. To continue using Backupery for Evernote, please use Evernote 6.25.1 and under. We're sorry for the inconvenience!

No reason for you to be sorry.  You didn't cause the problem. 

There is way too much missing function in EN 10 for it to be anywhere close to usable at this point, for me anyway.  They lost me at no local notebooks, no import folders, no shortcut bar, no sending emails, no Win+PrintScreen, no Win+A, so many more clicks to do the same thing, and three minutes for indexing to update on the server for search to be accurate.  So 6.25 for as long as it lasts or until they fix this hot mess.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Denis L said:

our app does not support Evernote 10 and above yet

I noted the "yet"...  Is it still possible that you will in the future?  Not asking for details or a date,  just interested!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, gazumped said:

I noted the "yet"...  Is it still possible that you will in the future?  Not asking for details or a date,  just interested!

I hope the Evernote team will enable scripting functionality sometime in the future, though I don't have any details. I'll keep this thread updated if I get any. Also, I'm currently researching a way to access the data by connecting directly to the Evernote Cloud API that is currently the recommended method of third-party interaction. In that case we won't need to rely on installed application or the internal database. It may be a big effort though as it will require significant reworking of the application. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Denis L said:

I hope the Evernote team will enable scripting functionality sometime in the future

Ouch! (Again) - I hadn't thought of that,  but I know a some users were using home-brew ENScript commands for a variety of purposes.  Guess they'll be out of luck too.  Thanks for the response.  I appreciate you're in a difficult position.  It would have been nice for Evernote - who promote the various add-in apps that enhance their desktop software - to have given you some advance warning and allowed you early access!  (Mind you on current performance I doubt 'early access' would have actually been a working app!!!)

• Like 2