• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
Backupery

Backupery - backup Evernote data to your computer automatically

Idea

Backupery    11
Hello,

I am a co-founder of Backupery, we are making local backup software.

I am glad to present you Backupery for Evernote application. It is a lightweight application that makes automatic backup of Evernote notes to local hard drive.

Here are some highlights:

• The application is very small (~700KB) and easy to use.
  • Backup is started by scheduler, so a user doesn't need to run it manually.
  • We don't send any bit of your data beyond your computer, so all your data belongs to you only, forever.
  • The software works without internet connection (it is essential if you are travelling, for example).
  • Since the app utilizes Evernote-standart export technology (ENEX), no third-party tools are required for restoring (Evernote client is enough).
  • Since we are using ENEX-export, the app backups local (unsynchronized) notebooks and unsynchronized notes.
You could read more and download the application here: http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

It is for Windows only for now, but we are working on Mac version also.

Any questions, suggestions or ideas are highly appreciated, please let me know here, or use contact@backupery.com.

Best,

John

54 replies to this idea

gazumped    5,788

Hi John.  I'm a little nervous about exports to Enex on a scheduled basis.  Export by default

• might take a long time - a full export of my c.21,000 notes seemed to take forever the last time I tried
  • doesn't preserve a notebook structure
  • breaks note-to-note links
  • doesn't include any clues as to notebook hierarchy
  • restores as one potentially huge notebook that could break even premium upload limits
  • might be happening at the same time I'm editing a note - which version survives?  (If I'm managing an export of my own,  I'm -by definition- not doing anything else!)

Can you provide any more comment on these points?  I can still see that there are huge advantages to having a set it and forget it backup,  and I think it's a great idea to make it really simple for the majority of users out there who need to be convinced that backups are a Good Idea,  but a full restore might take a very long time to sort out...

• Like 3

Morticia    191

I have the same questing as Gazumped and

It seems that the default settings are every third hour.

With a huge database this will be hard

And make the users choose notebooks or stacks.

I have some notebooks like archive. To backup them every third hours is not necessary, not even once a week.

post-222013-0-47198100-1444877646_thumb.

• Like 1

Backupery    11
Hi Gazumped and Morticia,

thank you very much for your feedback, I've taken everything into consideration. Here are my comments:

- might take a long time - a full export of my c.21,000 notes seemed to take forever the last time I tried

Export time depends on computer performance and each note size significantly. For example, we performed the test in our test lab for Evernote account with ~50.000 of notes, each note is about 5KB and it took ~1 minute only (Windows 8, Intel Core i7-4790, 3.60 GHz, 8GB RAM). Of course, we shouldn't treat this as a constant rule, but I am sure the export takes reasonable time. 

May I ask what is the size of your Evernote database? (If you on Windows, just open your Evernote client, then  Tools/Options/General tab shows you where your database is located. You can then view that folder in Explorer to get the folder size).

- doesn't preserve a notebook structure
- doesn't include any clues as to notebook hierarchy
- breaks note-to-note links
Yes, unfortunately it is a limitation of ENEX export of a whole Evernote database.

- restores as one potentially huge notebook that could break even premium upload limits

After restoring you could mark this notebook as local so it won't sync with Evernote servers, then select those notes that are should be synced and move them to notebooks that are synced with Evernote. Generally speaking, most backup solutions mean restoring large amounts of data in case of emergency. One of Backupery advantages is that all your backup data is stored locally, so you don't need to download it from clouds. 

- might be happening at the same time I'm editing a note - which version survives?  (If I'm managing an export of my own,  I'm -by definition- not doing anything else!)
Backupery exports unsynchronized notes too, so the note with the latest modifications will survive (even if it wasn't synchronized with Evernote servers).

- It seems that the default settings are every third hour.

It is just an obsolete screenshot on our website. Default settings are every third day.

One more note: actually we are going to add compression of backup directory + we have already implemented deletion of backup duplications.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know.

post-271664-0-48822400-1444908145_thumb.

gazumped    5,788

Hi John,  thanks for your detailed answers.  My database size is 14GB / 21,000 notes - the average size,  as you'll see, is a lot higher than your model.  I digitised a library of documents so I have notes with lots of PDF pages.  At the moment I'm doing a local backup to external hard drives in two ways - including the Databases folder in my normal system backup,  and also copying the folder individually.  I'm currently running Win 8.1 and EN Desktop 5.9.2 beta on an 8GB I7 Dell.

You're right,  of course,  that restoring an ENEX file goes (by default I think) to a local notebook,  but I'm still concerned that if I ever had to restore my full database it would take me 2 months and a fair amount of extra work to get back to fully synced notes.  Nevertheless if the other choice was not to have any notes,  I think I could live with that...

Is there any chance that you'll consider offering a notebook-by-notebook backup at any stage?  That might answer Morticia's query about some notes not needing backup - like my own digitised library forinstance,  which is for reference,  not for frequent (or any) editing.  It wouldn't be a hardship to have one or more notebook(s) backed up once every 6 months,  while others got processed every few days...

I appreciate we're talking about - initially at least - a free product here,  so at some point the bells and whistles will start to incur a cost!

• Like 1

Backupery    11
Hi Gazumped,
thanks for the information about your system.

Is there any chance that you'll consider offering a notebook-by-notebook backup at any stage?  That might answer Morticia's query about some notes not needing backup - like my own digitised library forinstance,  which is for reference,  not for frequent (or any) editing.  It wouldn't be a hardship to have one or more notebook(s) backed up once every 6 months,  while others got processed every few days...

Yes, selective backup seems very reasonable. We've taken this into an account already. I can't provide ETA for this feature now, but it will be on our roadmap.

Morticia    191

- It seems that the default settings are every third hour.

It is just an obsolete screenshot on our website. Default settings are every third day.

One more note: actually we are going to add compression of backup directory + we have already implemented deletion of backup duplications.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know.

Hi

The screenshot in my post is from my computer.

And I can't change from 3 hours.

Is it a bug? Do you want my log file?

Every third day is okay!

Morticia    191

Seems a bit over-enthusiastic...  :mellow:

Yeah

2 are exactly the same...

If I'm going to pay for this program I need

The choose notebooks

And how often

Before that I have some difficulty to find it practical

• Like 1

Backupery    11
Morticia,

it turns out you are using obsolete version of the app. The current version is 2.0.853 (we have already changed the default backup period some time ago). Now the app makes backup every third day (I've just double-checked it). The program has to show notification about the new version though, probably we should make it more noticeable.

Anyway, you could download the latest version here: 

Morticia    191

Morticia,

it turns out you are using obsolete version of the app. The current version is 2.0.853 (we have already changed the default backup period some time ago). Now the app makes backup every third day (I've just double-checked it). The program has to show notification about the new version though, probably we should make it more noticeable.

Anyway, you could download the latest version here: 

http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

Hi Okay, thanks.

Much better.

The old versions still on the webpage above the picture

"1. Download Backupery for Evernote to the computer where your Evernote application is installed."

And one more thing on my whishlist: Choose where to save the backups.

gazumped    5,788

OK I downloaded the app too (latest version) - first thoughts are: 

• on Install,  Windows immediately 'protected' me from unknown software - kinda unsettling if you aren't expecting it...
  • The first backup starts immediately without any warnings or options - agree with Morticia I'd like a choice where it goes,  and I'd suggest a 'backup now,  or postpone?' (for 1/2/4/8 hours) option.
  • Checking the About tab I see this is a trial version expiring on 31/10
  • Some sort of a progress bar would be good - I got 'working' but how do I know when it's finished?  Can I sleep/ switch off the machine in the meantime?

- I'll add any further comments when the operation finishes.  Currently running at 30% disk / 90% memory (4GB Win 8.0 lappy here).  More to follow...

• Like 1

Backupery    11

Hi Morticia,

Thanks for pointing it out, fixed.

And one more thing on my whishlist: Choose where to save the backups.

Sure, the idea is taken into consideration.

Backupery    11
Thank you for trying our app :)

on Install,  Windows immediately 'protected' me from unknown software - kinda unsettling if you aren't expecting it...
Yes, we know about the issue. In order to be trusted on Windows 8 any software publisher needs to either buy a digital certificate or distribute software through Microsoft Windows Store. We plan to get the certificate soon, so the warning will disappear.

Checking the About tab I see this is a trial version expiring on 31/10
By default, the trial period for the software is 14 days.

The first backup starts immediately without any warnings or options - agree with Morticia I'd like a choice where it goes,  and I'd suggest a 'backup now,  or postpone?' (for 1/2/4/8 hours) option.
Some sort of a progress bar would be good - I got 'working' but how do I know when it's finished?  Can I sleep/ switch off the machine in the meantime?
The remarks seem really reasonable, taking them all into account. As for backup completion - currently, if you shutdown the computer during backup process, the worst thing can happen is you get an incomplete backup file. But the next version of the app (it is being tested now) marks any backup as 'completed' if it is completed successfully only. So, if you shutdown the computer during backup process, the backup will be considered as 'incomplete' and the next time you start the computer the app will start to backup the data again.

gazumped    5,788

Hmmn.  I looked again at 2pm (install + 2 hours) and the Backupery window said 'working';  then checked again just - 5pm (+5hrs) and it showed the same - was preparing to be underwhelmed,  but when I checked the backup file location,  a 17GB file is happily sitting there with a modified time of 12.52 which is about an hour after install.  So it looks like even my heavyweight database got copied in an hour or less,  which is actually pretty good.  The EXB file is 14GB so there's a bit of expansion when you export,  but I have USB drives that are bigger than that.  (Wouldn't recommend using one though because the data transfer rates are pants*...)

Subject to the reservations and suggestions above,  this is a sweet bit of software.  Thanks!

* UK slang for sub-optimal in a bad way ;)

Backupery    11

Thanks for the information! We've made a couple of new performance tests today and got that the application exports 1GB in ~3 minutes (we tested on Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB RAM). Well, the results, in general, coincide with yours.

UK slang for sub-optimal in a bad way  ;)

I should remember that  :)

• Like 1

Backupery    11
Hello!

I am glad to introduce the new release of Backupery for Evernote 2.1!

We have collected feedback from our users and implemented the most requested features.

Here is the list of the new features:

• Ability to change backup destination. Now you could change backup destination that gives you the ability to store your backups to wide rande of destinations: built-in or external harddrives, network shares, USB sticks, cloud storages like Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, etc.
  • Ability to change backup period. Another frequently requested feature was added to the application. Backup period can be varied from 1 day to 1 month.
  • Improvements of the user interface. For example, a user could see if backup is in progress or finished already. Also, we have added the possibility to check for updates directly from the application, so no need to wait for update notification to perform an update. Surely, update notification continues to work. Also, the application looks better on Windows 7 and Windows 8 now.
Here are some screenshots:

001_BackuperyForEvernoteStatus.jpg

002_BackuperyForEvernoteSettings.jpg

Read more and download the app here: http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

I’d love to hear your thoughts on these new release. Please let me know what you think. Use this thread, PM or contact us at contact@backupery.com. Also, you could use anonymous feedback link directly from the application.

• Like 2

Backupery    11

Hello!

Backupery for Evernote 2.5.98 is out!

Here are the most important changes in the software:

• You don’t need administrator rights to install and run Backupery applications anymore, since generic user rights are enough.
  • We have embedded auto-update feature into the applications, so you will not need to download and install new versions of the software manually, all the future versions will be delivered and installed automatically.
  • More accurate backup scheduling.
  • Minor bugfixes.

Download it here: http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the app. Please let me know what you think. Use this thread, PM or contact me at contact@backupery.com. Also, you could use anonymous feedback link directly from the application.

DTLow    2,242

Still Windows only.

On my Mac, I would be using an AppleScript to automate backups, however I do see a need for users who don't back up their local notebooks on a scheduled base.

I'm not seeing any notebook selection for backup, or separation of notebook backups.  I consider this a deficiency - I may not want to back up my sync'd notebooks, and I wouldn't want all my notebooks consolidated.

Backupery    11
14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Still Windows only.

On my Mac, I would be using an AppleScript to automate backups, however I do see a need for users who don't back up their local notebooks on a scheduled base.

I'm not seeing any notebook selection for backup, or separation of notebook backups.  I consider this a deficiency - I may not want to back up my sync'd notebooks, and I wouldn't want all my notebooks consolidated.

Yeah it is for Windows only for now.

Thanks for the hint - having an option to select notebooks to backup would be really useful. Will definitely consider implementing it :)

Backupery    11

Hello Evernoters!

Backupery for Evernote 3.0 is here.

Here is the list of changes:

• Selective notebook backup. You could select notebooks which you wish to backup. 
  • The app preserves notebooks structure now. Notes from each notebook are saved to a separate backup file, so notebooks structure is preserved.
  • Display an amount of data backed on a last backup run.
  • Display a total amount of data backed since an application install.
  • Display an amount of free storage space.
  • Added ability to send support tickets directly from the application.
  • Bugixes and tiny user interface changes.

001_Status.png

002_Settings.png

No action required if you already using the application since the app will update itself to the latest version (thanks auto-update feature).

Download it here: http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the app. Please let me know what you think. Use this thread, PM or contact me at contact@backupery.com
Also, I've embedded anonymous feedback form directly into the application.

JMichaelTX    3,609
1 hour ago, John Compton said:

Backupery for Evernote 3.0 is here.

John, looks like you've been doing some good work!

Is it possible to backup/export ONLY those notes which have changed or been added since the last backup/export?

Backupery    11
14 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

John, looks like you've been doing some good work!

Thanks for the kind words :)

14 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Is it possible to backup/export ONLY those notes which have changed or been added since the last backup/export?

Yes, it is technically possible. We can export only new and modified notes on each run.

Actually backup size is an issue now. As far as I know, the average Evernote database size is 5-7 GB, so backup size for a month (say 1 backup per week) takes about 20-30 GB, that is large number, and also the data is duplicated significantly. So something should be done regarding the issue.