Link sharing

Da Bozz

Idea

Hi,

I'm wondering why the link sharing feature on Android and Windows doesn't use the same link formatting. On Android it's something with evernote.com/shard/... while on Windows it's evernote.com/l/.... Also, you don't see on Windows that a public link has been created on Android, but if you activate and deactivate the link on Windows, the Android link is disabled too.

Sounds like a very questionable design desicion, does anyone know why Evernote behaves this way?

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  The link you get when you Copy Note Link works in two ways.  On any device where the note is not stored locally,  it (sensibly) takes you to the web version.  On any device where the note is saved on the hard drive it gives you the installed app and the original note.  Unless you shared the note publicly,  the web link will require an Evernote login to access.  Disabling the note link deactivates any remote access.

Hi.  The link you get when you Copy Note Link works in two ways.  On any device where the note is not stored locally,  it (sensibly) takes you to the web version.  On any device where the note is saved on the hard drive it gives you the installed app and the original note.  Unless you shared the note publicly,  the web link will require an Evernote login to access.  Disabling the note link deactivates any remote access.

But both of the described methods create a link which is available to everyone without registration, just in a different format. Access to links in the "shard"-format cannot be revoked that easily.

This article still doesn't describe the link sharing behaviour as I experienced it.

I created a link on Android via Share -> Post a link (using German Evernote, hope the translatiom is correct) and now everyone who got the link has read access. Evernote on PC still says that I haven't created a link. Take a look at the screenshots to see what features I mean (on the second screenshot, I use the third option).

post-176161-0-50169000-1444689172_thumb.

post-176161-0-24324300-1444689180_thumb.

• Level 5*

OK - I think you'd better head for the Support link in the Help Center again!  If you emailed out the link,  I think Evernote assumes that you mean to issue a public link;  and AFAIK the mobile app isn't much good at showing whether a note has been shared or not,  though you should be able to check on a laptop.  If you want to keep the content private,  look for 'Copy Note Link' in the mobile app - it should be on the share menu somewhere...

Archived