Sharing an Evernote with the public

Hi! I have an incredibly stupid question: Can I share an Evernote with the public? 

Specifically, I'm writing a travel guidebook, and want to create an interactive packing check list with my readers. My goal is to give Evernote-using readers of my book a tool that they can subscribe to check off what they've packed for their trips from a suggested list, one that they can re-use over and over again. 

My wife and I constantly share Evernotes and notebooks, and I've used a packing list I've created to help me not forget essentials for upcoming trips, as well as to never leave anything behind in my hotel room. You know, little things like my phone, wallet, wedding ring, passport, etc.

Sure, I could create a check list document with an app like Word or Adobe InDesign, and save it as a .pdf. And I still might. But I thought that using Evernote for this, and sharing it with others, could be a tremendous help. 

Where I'm ignorant is whether Evernote's public note sharing function would really support this. 

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions. I'm trying to avoid looking as stupid as I normally do!

It's a bit tricky.

Basically, you can share the notes with public. Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that URLs stop working after some time or when you move a note within your Evernote notebooks. You may be able to overcome this by making one public notebook and placing all your shared notes there but I am not sure this option still exists.

Also:

• if your readers are Evernote users - they will be able to save your notes to their notebooks and can use them as packing list to be completed (with box checking features)
  • if your readers are not Evernote users - I am not sure they will be able to check the checkboxes.

In general, I find Evernote a perfect software for single use. Unfortunately, when it comes to sharing your work with other people it is really really poor.

• Level 5*

Here are your options for sharing a note.

Not sure about the trouble that mwlodarski had, but as long as you keep the note in the same note store (account) as when you created the link to it (and you create the link as described in the above help), the link will work.

It's true, though, that if the person accessing the shared note doesn't have Evernote, it will be a read-only document so no checking of checkboxes for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Evernote with my students at Ohio State for four years.  The class is designed around making ePortfolios.  Most everything about Evernote has been getting better over time but there is one major problem.  Students (and everyone who uses Evernote) can not share a folder/portfolio with the public.  I am a Premium member of Evernote and find the loss of public notebooks to be a critical deficiency.  Please restore the folder public link option.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Evernote with my students at Ohio State for four years.  The class is designed around making ePortfolios.  Most everything about Evernote has been getting better over time but there is one major problem.  Students (and everyone who uses Evernote) can not share a folder/portfolio with the public.  I am a Premium member of Evernote and find the loss of public notebooks to be a critical deficiency.  Please restore the folder public link option.

Sharing both notes and notebooks publicly is currently an active feature in Evernote. Please see here for instructions: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005417.

If you're still experiencing issues, let me know as I'm happy to help!

It's a bit tricky.

Basically, you can share the notes with public. Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that URLs stop working after some time or when you move a note within your Evernote notebooks. You may be able to overcome this by making one public notebook and placing all your shared notes there but I am not sure this option still exists.

Also:

• if your readers are Evernote users - they will be able to save your notes to their notebooks and can use them as packing list to be completed (with box checking features)
  • if your readers are not Evernote users - I am not sure they will be able to check the checkboxes.

In general, I find Evernote a perfect software for single use. Unfortunately, when it comes to sharing your work with other people it is really really poor.

To confirm, sharing public links to notes and notebooks is currently an active feature in Evernote. At one point, we removed this feature and after evaluating user feedback, we quickly brought it back. 

Hi! I have an incredibly stupid question: Can I share an Evernote with the public? 

Specifically, I'm writing a travel guidebook, and want to create an interactive packing check list with my readers. My goal is to give Evernote-using readers of my book a tool that they can subscribe to check off what they've packed for their trips from a suggested list, one that they can re-use over and over again. 

My wife and I constantly share Evernotes and notebooks, and I've used a packing list I've created to help me not forget essentials for upcoming trips, as well as to never leave anything behind in my hotel room. You know, little things like my phone, wallet, wedding ring, passport, etc.

Sure, I could create a check list document with an app like Word or Adobe InDesign, and save it as a .pdf. And I still might. But I thought that using Evernote for this, and sharing it with others, could be a tremendous help. 

Where I'm ignorant is whether Evernote's public note sharing function would really support this. 

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions. I'm trying to avoid looking as stupid as I normally do!

If I understand correctly, you can achieve this with a notebook that you've created a public link to: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005417.

You can create an 'Alaska Travel Guide' notebook and can have notes with checklists, relevant articles clipped from the web, etc. If it's a travel guide notebook, you can stick a table of contents in it to make it easier for your fans to follow: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005667. 

Once you share this public link with others, they can click on it and choose to join the notebook (they'll need to have an Evernote account to do this). This notebook will be view only for them, unless they request permission to edit and you accept. Any changes that you make to this notebook (i.e. add new notes) will be synced and your fans will see them. 

Let me know if you'd like any clarification!

Archived