New Evernote for Windows 5.9.4 Beta

Justin Street

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

This beta includes:

Improved image editing:

• Images can be resized inside of your notes; click on an image and drag the bottom right corner to resize
  • There's now a rotate image icon when you hover over images

Formatting shortcuts. We've added shortcuts so that you don't need to pick your hands up from the keyboard to make formatting changes. Here's the complete list:

• Lists:
    • Typing "1. " will start a numbered list
    • Typing "* " will start a bulleted list
    • Typing "[] " or "[ ] " will create an unchecked checkbox
    • Typing "[x] " will create a checked checkbox
    • Typing a line of at least three "*" or "-" will add a horizontal rule (e.g. "---" or "***")

post-199167-0-49969300-1444090534_thumb.

• Tables:
    • Typing "[][][] " on its own line will add a table with three columns
    • Typing "[][][][]x2 " on its own line will add a table with four columns and two rows

post-199167-0-92051500-1444090534_thumb.

We've also improved our handling of tables copied from older versions of MS Word.

Fixed various Outlook Clipper bugs including:

• Attachments were being included even if none are selected
  • Sometimes only email headers were being clipped from Outlook 2013
  • Notebook sorting issues
  • Issues clipping calendar items

Thanks for trying it. We can't wait to see what you think. 

UPDATE:

The beta has been updated to include the following bug fixes:

Fixed a bug that caused some images to not paste into a note properly

Fixed a bug that caused some modifications to note titles to be lost if a sync was occurring during the modification

Fixed a bug that caused tags to be lost when being applied to multiple notes, if a sync was occurring during the modification

Fixed a bug regarding "&" encoding in hyperlinks

Fixed bugs regarding resizing the app window and the left panel

The app will indicate notes that have sync errors with a red icon in the top right corner of the note snippet

Minor performance improvement when switching between notes

Hey Team,

Great that this lovely product is getting some development progress. Hoping that we might see some improvements the HDPI screen compatibility - currently the app appears quite pixelated when using on HDPI screens.

Keep up the great work!

Ben

Looks interesting. From the last beta, have you fixed any of the known issues, or is this old beta + new features. And is there any new beta issues you know about, some companies put of a list of known issues to watch out for.

Thank you for finally adding the ability to resize images! I've been away from Evernote for a couple of years now. With this feature, I'll have to see what it's like to import my OneNote notes and give Evernote another try. The new feature is much appreciated.

• Evernote Expert

I think that this is a phenomenally great sign of progress and clarity that we are seeing. It was good that the New CEO was open enough to admit the situation ( Something that we never saw in the previous era under Phil - [ But Lets admit that some great work happened and it was he built the company from Bottom Up] .. 

And to know that Evernote is going to focus on its core features is indeed heartening. This is great.. I think with this, the Bags, Wallets and Glassses and unwanted Branding *****, the unwanted toolset may have take a backseat which is good. My opinion is that physical products that integrate with the main app, the heart of the app should still be around ( Like The JotScript, Post IT Notes etc).. 

It is good.. Obviously, the Team is now rebuilding I see a new Evernote. I don't expect magic in One day, but I do see the lesser showbiz stuff ( Office Is Obsolete, Kind of words reeked of arrogance to Me, actually..  :angry: ). .With this new attitude, I think EN can still use its leverage to compete with OneNote, even against a larger force which has more money power... ( How Google Photos Killed DropBox Free..?  :( ) That kind of thing.. 

All in All, I am happy. and I am still positive that as long as they consolidate and bring back faith among the core users, Evernote will still see its hay days again.. 

Good Work to the team..

Also, The CEO Chris has an Email id : ceochris@evernote.com 

You can mail your suggestions to him, directly as well. 

Good Luck in the Second Innings Guys..  :)  :)  :)

I am falling in love with Evernote again..  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I think that this is a phenomenally great sign of progress and clarity that we are seeing. It was good that the New CEO was open enough to admit the situation ( Something that we never saw in the previous era under Phil - [ But Lets admit that some great work happened and it was he built the company from Bottom Up] .. 

And to know that Evernote is going to focus on its core features is indeed heartening. This is great.. I think with this, the Bags, Wallets and Glassses and unwanted Branding *****, the unwanted toolset may have take a backseat which is good. My opinion is that physical products that integrate with the main app, the heart of the app should still be around ( Like The JotScript, Post IT Notes etc).. 

It is good.. Obviously, the Team is now rebuilding I see a new Evernote. I don't expect magic in One day, but I do see the lesser showbiz stuff ( Office Is Obsolete, Kind of words reeked of arrogance to Me, actually..  :angry: ). .With this new attitude, I think EN can still use its leverage to compete with OneNote, even against a larger force which has more money power... ( How Google Photos Killed DropBox Free..?  :( ) That kind of thing.. 

All in All, I am happy. and I am still positive that as long as they consolidate and bring back faith among the core users, Evernote will still see its hay days again.. 

Good Work to the team..

Also, The CEO Chris has an Email id : ceochris@evernote.com 

You can mail your suggestions to him, directly as well. 

Good Luck in the Second Innings Guys..  :)  :)  :)

I am falling in love with Evernote again..  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I hadn't been keeping up but had the same problems- Evernote staff seemed arrogant, cheeky, and when confronted with issues like basic features missing, they were dismissive and didn't take ownership of these types of things. Do my eyes deceive me or are you saying that these sort of cultural concerns of mine are getting better? I love the idea of a nicer attitude from EN!!

Even with the image resize issue, which was a show-stopper for me, I would have been able to recommend EN to others if I hadn't thought I'd be sending friends to people with bad attitudes. Are these attitudes improving?

• Evernote Expert

Feedback on this version : 

1. The Boot up speed, i see a huge difference. 

2. The Short cuts in the Editing are working great..  :)  :)  :)  If these same shortcuts come over to mobile too, they would be phenomenal.

3. The app looks awesomely crisp and new ( also very sexy :wub:  :wub:  :wub: ) , a far deviation from the boring old way.. Maybe, is this a reflection of the new attitude at Evernote? 

4. Presentation Mode was a little clunky though, but I dont think that it is an immediate priority.. ( It was more of a showbiz ap anyways to me  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: ), yeah, but I believe the more important issues are getting priority which is great..

+++ Resize images (and have an eye icon for original size) = very, very good!

++ first shortcuts working very well

- - - Table shortcuts "[][][] x 99 ! 5/x" - Oh no! This is "gruesome" with German keyboard and I think with other foreign keyboard layouts too! And someone have to learn mathematic formulars which working only in Evernote and in no other software? Why not the simple Markdown shortcuts  --- | --- | --- ?

Or make it at least possible to configure own shortcuts ...

The options to view, annotate and rotate images are very useful. And there is off course perhaps the most useful - RESIZE. But its not consistent with other options or very intuitive. Especially if the image is similar color as the blue outline. Please add resize icon next to the other ones, so that everyone is immediately clear of all the things one can do with the image.

sshot_3.jpg

So far the Evernote seems snappier and faster at browsing notes and displaying those with lots of images. You also fixed the bug I reported about notebooks section always resizing to 215 px. Thanks.

Another feedback and suggestion. The new icons look pretty good so far, subtle change but a welcome change. Devil is in the details, and speaking of the details. The icons for editing the note, are looking like faded like they are permanently dimmed, which usually indicates not available icons. In most applications dimmed icons as an UI element means its there but not available at the moment. Wrong tool selected or wrong section etc. Anyway, here is the screenshot of the current icons and their state. I wish you guyes made them as before, icons are fine just make the not dimmed or faded. Also since there is plenty of screen real estate could you make the icon for changing alignment no a drop down menu type icon. Its an often used feature and clicking on it and than choosing from a drop down menu is more click than it would be necessary. Just make them icons one next to another like other icons please. Thank you.

weww.jpg

Just downloaded the latest Beta.  One issue I see is that when I select an image and hit enter it deletes the image.  Also, I find it extremely difficult to insert the cursor before the image to insert a blank line above the image.  Does anyone have a good workaround for this?

Great news. BUT:

Formatting shortcuts. We've added shortcuts so that you don't need to pick your hands up from the keyboard to make formatting changes. Here's the complete list:

• Lists:
    • Typing a line of at least three "*" or "-" will add a horizontal rule (e.g. "---" or "***")

Please DON'T launch this feature without adding a corresponding option in preferences that disables it! There are several occasions where we have to type in ordinal numbers like "1." at the beginning of a line without wanting it to be automatically converted into an auto-numbered and auto-indented list. The same is true for typing an asterisk with space or typing a line of at least three "-".

Personally, I prefer using shortcuts like CTRL + SHIFT + "-" (to insert a horizontal rule, for instance).

Congrats, this is running really smooth, until this build every time i was deleting images (from Chrome clipped news) and changing to another note Evernote got lagged, now SMOOTH

:)

Great news. BUT:

• Lists:

Please DON'T launch this feature without adding a corresponding option in preferences that disables it! There are several occasions where we have to type in ordinal numbers like "1." at the beginning of a line without wanting it to be automatically converted into an auto-numbered and auto-indented list. The same is true for typing an asterisk with space or typing a line of at least three "-".

Personally, I prefer using shortcuts like CTRL + SHIFT + "-" (to insert a horizontal rule, for instance).

Thanks for the feedback... if you press CTRL+Z, the formatting is reverted to what you typed.  We're also looking at adding "backspace" to that as well. Is that adequate?

Very useful changes with images. I hoping you are planning to introduce a little more  images capacities, Like moving the image around the note in any position more easy, and more freely a la one note. 

However Kudos for the effort to improve the core of EN that is note taking, this is long overdue. 

• Level 5

Also since there is plenty of screen real estate could you make the icon for changing alignment no a drop down menu type icon. Its an often used feature and clicking on it and than choosing from a drop down menu is more click than it would be necessary. Just make them icons one next to another like other icons please. Thank you.

If you set ClassicHTMLToolbar to 1 in the registry, it will do what you want.

• Level 5

I find it extremely difficult to insert the cursor before the image to insert a blank line above the image.  Does anyone have a good workaround for this?

Left-click the image to select it and then press the left arrow cursor on your keyboard.

Also since there is plenty of screen real estate could you make the icon for changing alignment no a drop down menu type icon. Its an often used feature and clicking on it and than choosing from a drop down menu is more click than it would be necessary. Just make them icons one next to another like other icons please. Thank you.

Great. Do you have a link or some more information on how to do this, most specifically where to find the "ClassicHTMLToolbar"? thanks

All versions of EN, including this Beta, can't be collapsed to less than half a screen. I run it at about 1/5 of the screen, with just the lists of updated and title. Instead, I am running EN 5.8.13, which does allow such a reduction. I found it on filehippo.com. I hope that future versions of EN 5.9 will fix this bug. 

Howard Schwartz

1. The editing tools should be displayed if the image is clicked or not; currently they only show if the image is not clicked.

2. I'd like to see some basic editing features like Color Correction. 

3. If I click the image, I'd like the ability to move the image around.

4. After clicking an image, the handles should be on all four corner, not just the bottom right.

Issue #1

> Insert an image somewhere in the middle of a page

> Shrink the image

> Edit the image

> Close the editor

<> The altered image either remains at its original location or is placed at the beginning/top of the page. In either case the image is full size.

<> Happened once: Clicking on the image shades the entire image blue instead of producing a handle for resizing the image.

Issue #2

With an inserted image:

> right-clicking on the image then selecting "Paste and match style" does nothing obvious.

> copying and image then right-clicking on the image then selecting "Paste and match style" does nothing obvious.

It is really good that I can so easy operate with images. But I have some questions:

1. I use localized interface, but when I edit image I see english interface. Sometimes language is right, but often it is English.

2. I use Evernote to store photo of documents. Crop is only rectangle, but photo is trapezoid. Can you add tool to crop trapezoid image to output as rectangle in manual way of set the vertexes?

3. Rotate is only in one direction. And what will I do if i need rotate in another way? I will click on 'Rotate' three times. Can you add one more button for this?

scb6sy.jpg

2e0i87k.jpg

Amazing EN. Glad to see you finally FOCUS on what you do best, notes, sync, and search. There was no excuse for EN to lag on its editing features for too long and too far behind. Truly, wish you the best.

For myself, I have 2 premium accounts and was planning to have them expire. However, I held off after reading your CEO's newest blog entry regarding your renewed focus. I did migrate my content to ON. But I would love to be able to move back to EN if the editing features continue to grow. 

Shortcuts worked fine. Image editing features mostly ok except ...

1) The resize image marker and the hover icons only appear after closing and reopening the note .I do not see them when pasting an image in a brand new note editor window. Is this the expected behavior? 

2) Hovering over image shows no icons to rotate or do anything. However, when I right-click and choose rotate, hovering from that point forward shows the icons. 

3) Isn't ctrl+z supposed to undo the rotate? Mine does not.

4) Right-clicking and choosing 'annotate this image' does nothing. Choosing 'annotating a copy of this image' works fine.

I know you probably have a lot on you hand and I see that other users did not hesitate to suggest new features. I would also like to chip in if I may. My primary pain-point with EN was the lack of features support authoring long documents. I needed to be able to outline such document using headers and be able to expand collapse them as per my need at the time of reading it. Hope these features finds its way onto the app. 

Great to be part of the 'new' EN.

• Level 5*

Great job on the image resizing - but I find it difficult to click on the image to get the resize button to adjust the size. Often (not always) opens up a browser instance. Maybe an icon that we can click on to bring up the resize box? I went through a lot of recipe notes and resized all the images. Only problem is that now I am hungry! Thanks again for the progress.

As others have already mentioned, having a Styles menu would be a welcome addition. Also a Format Painter to copy and apply styles.

It looks like there are some issues handling horizontal rules/lines <hr>. If you position the cursor right before it and start typing, the text will be placed either above or below the line depending on whether you reached the <HR> from above or below it. Also hitting {Enter} when the cursor is before the line deletes it. 

Thanks, autocreating numbered and not numbered lists is great since I already have habit from MS products. But creating checkboxes is almost useless because I can't create them this way in russian keyboard layout, I would have to switch back and forward, so I would prefer a single keystroke Ctrl-Shift-C.

And more than possibility to create checked checkbox I want possibility to check the checkbox by keyboard. Or is the proposed way -  to replace uncheked checkbox with checked one?

BTW when you create checked checkbox new line is added and cursor moved there, when you create unchecked checkbox the behaviour is diffierent. I don't think it was supposed to be that way.

Thank you very much for new additionals to Evernote. I think now I have more reasons to use this tool for my writings than Word. I must say that in a way Evernote is really convenient and easy in general use if you don't need bunch of distracting and unnecessary functions. Nevertheless, we were expecting some improvements for writing section, these awesome shortcuts that save our valuable time. I guess it is just beginning and soon you may propose something really extraordinary and distinctive possibilities that no other tools can offer. 

Very interested in full markdown support including titles styles ... with disabling option for people that don't want it in their UI.

(why only a subset of it ?).

Would be great also to include a more powerful export option : to PDF, to Word, etc. (See Pandoc state of the art).

Also it would be great to reference other notes more easily (than copy/paste the link), such as wiki feature.

Wish you all the best  :)

Looks like it's going in the right direction. Thanks for your efforts! Some comments, though ;-)

Might we get formatting options like they existed for the Mac version for years,like ALL CAPS, etc., please?

Could we get standard window handling shortcuts, like CTRL+W to close a window, please? Also, windows don't remember their position and size. A shortcut for copying the note link would also be handy.

Maybe we could have tabs?

Table handling still needs a lot of love...

When sharing a note via email the sender is set to no-reply@evernote.com, but should be the user's email address, instead, I believe.

I have a love/hate relationship with Evernote.  I really want to love it (and do for the tagging/storing features) and really dislike it for the formatting features.  Onenote is really my preferred method for taking notes but not storing them.  I'm glad to see something as simple as starting an outline or bullet with a simple keystroke.  However, I copied and pasted the text above into Evernote as a reminder of what these new shortcuts are.  I had to 'simplify formatting' before I could do the auto number/bullet feature.  

Looks good!

I tested the image rotation and resizing and works good. However I did notice that undo/redo did not work to reverse an image change. Is this correct?

Have also tested the quick text features to add bullets, etc. and it works perfectly. I also noticed the visual improvements. Very nice.

There are a couple of suggestions for (near) future versions:

• Can you also build a quick text feature for
  • I would encourage text styles (such as headers, standard font styles) and table styles (such as colors, line thickness, etc.)
  • I would recomment a feature to use templates (e.g. standard texts or copying existing notes into templates)
  • If not present, make sure image adjustement can be reversed using undo/redo

All looks well! Keep up the great work!

Cheers, Michael

Absolutely love it! Thank you! This is one of the best updates so far! I am a huge keyboard shortcut user so this was one of the things that bugged me for a while but I found a workaround it for the time being but now it actually follows the standard keyboard shortcuts and formatting. Thank you again!

Hey Team,

Great that this lovely product is getting some development progress. Hoping that we might see some improvements the HDPI screen compatibility - currently the app appears quite pixelated when using on HDPI screens.

Keep up the great work!

Ben

I second this concern! I have a High DPI laptop screen (3K Resolution) and the Desktop app appears very pixelated.

• Level 5

Great. Do you have a link or some more information on how to do this, most specifically where to find the "ClassicHTMLToolbar"? thanks

It's located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote in the registry. Double-click the ClassicHtmlToolbar entry and set it to 1 (it defaults to 0).

I really like the new shortcuts. It reminds me of a WYSIWYG version of Wiki syntax. That will make note taking so much easier. 

I'm assuming that the image resize widget maxing at the original size is intentional. The image would certainly degrade as it grows beyond that, but I wonder if allowing it to grow beyond the original size would add flexibility for formatting the note. 

Anyway, this is a great release. Thanks!

It's located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote in the registry. Double-click the ClassicHtmlToolbar entry and set it to 1 (it defaults to 0).

Oh, that's so cool. Much appreciated. :)

Oh and I just noticed you added spell checking to the tile of the note, when adding a new one. That is a requested feature. Thumbs up. Thanks guys. Keep it up. Nice little Easter egg. :)

Another idea.

When viewing PDF documents inline, they are maximised to the window width. It would be better to (optionally) maximise them to the window height*, because that would allow to scroll through the document using the arrows only. Otherwise the document does not fit in the window and one needs to scroll up and down to see the whole page.

*Ideally, fit the document into the available space.

• Level 5*

Resize an image, then remove formatting (CTRL-Spacebar). Image reverts to the original size. Looks like the image stays actual size, but the display size is changed (for those who are curious). For me, really resizing the image would be a pain because of the loss of quality.

Edited to add - worked out how to get the resize to work without opening the image - click on the right-hand icon, and the editing box is revealed. Great stuff, Evernote.

It's great that it's now possible to use the tab key to navigate from the title to the note content field. It would be great, however, if the cursor were placed in the title first when creating a new note. Often, a title is enough and , otherwise, it's very quick to jump to the content with tab.

• Level 5

It's great that it's now possible to use the tab key to navigate from the title to the note content field. It would be great, however, if the cursor were placed in the title first when creating a new note. Often, a title is enough and , otherwise, it's very quick to jump to the content with tab.

If you set SetNewNoteFocusToTitle to 1 in the registry, it will do what you want.

You can also use Shift+Tab or F2 to get back to the title.

If you set SetNewNoteFocusToTitle to 1 in the registry, it will do what you want.

You can also use Shift+Tab or F2 to get back to the title.

Good to know, thanks! Could this become a setting in the normal Options panel, though? Registry editing is not for everybody - especially when you're on a computer at work where it's prohibited...

I want to know if the image be resized, will the image size(KB/MB/B) be changed?

No, the image's storage size and quality aren't affected when resizing.

Could it be possibly to expect a future feature in options to not preserve the size of the picture as well. In addition to what is now. Mainly do to the size of the note when using large images.

In the past I would find a great looking image online or take a picture of something on the phone but the image was very large so I would have to go to Photoshop to resize it before I put it to ever note or the note would grew in size quickly and would slow down the browsing process, first of the note itself and later if there is more notes like this it would slow down the Evernote it self. So if we could have an option to also resize images in evernote but commit to changes so we reduce t he size of the image, that would save a lot of trips to Photoshop and would reduce the size of the notes significantly. I am using payed subscription so my storage on your server is not an issues, for me its the problem of how long does it take than to share are large note, download it on the smartphone or the limit in MB of each note. But for free users its even more of a problem.

So having an option to resize images as they are now and not actually change the original image in storage capacity or quality only in appearance on screen is great. But having additional option in Evernote options somewhere where we tell Evernote to commit to changes after resize would be super useful. I hope you can implement that in your future releases. Thanks. And keep up with this changes and feedback, they are appreciated. :)

Good update but still a long way to go before real satisfaction.

One major problem to me is related to the arabic writing capability (i.e. right to left writing). The problem is the inability to add bullets or checkboxes on the right handside of the text. see attached image.

Good update but still a long way to go before real satisfaction.

One major problem to me is related to the arabic writing capability (i.e. right to left writing). The problem is the inability to add bullets or checkboxes on the right handside of the text. see attached image.

post-137735-0-27911100-1444435314_thumb.

The defect that was introduced a couple of releases back in table editing with Del and Backspace is STILL manifest - haven't you heard of regression testing.

The defect is not present in Evernote_5.9.0.8665.exe, it is present in every release since!

I have been working with 5.9.2 for about a week now and I like the improvements a lot. However, the automatic interpretation of "1." as a numbered list results in unattractive presentation when combined with bullet lists. I often combine numbered topics with supporting bullets. In the previous version, the "1." was flush left which made the appearance attractive (see screenshot 1). With the current version, the indentation of bullets is poorly aligned with the indented numbered list item (see screenshot 2). I can indent the bullets to the second level, but I don't like the circles as a first level bullet item and the indentation looks too large.

post-270547-0-11001100-1444742703_thumb.post-270547-0-46233300-1444742703_thumb.

• Level 5*

Struggling with PDFs in this version. I cannot use PDFs scanned (via my ScanSnap) to Evernote in other applications; they don't recognize them as PDFs. I have to download them in order to use them. This happens in Slack and Trello.

9gWCTSxcDh-3000x3000.jpeg

Good Night,

Message from France

I have my computer with OS : Windows XP - Service Pack 3      76412-OEM-0011903-00100

I try 2 or 3 times to update from V 5.9.1 8742 untill V 5.9.2 Prerelease 276975. The Update scratches every time with the following message : (.\Boostrapper.ccp:916) 0x643 : erreur irrécupérable lors de l'installation (which means "Fatal error during installation".

Are you aware of this phenomena?

Thank you for your best answer.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Struggling with PDFs in this version. I cannot use PDFs scanned (via my ScanSnap) to Evernote in other applications; they don't recognize them as PDFs. I have to download them in order to use them. This happens in Slack and Trello.

If you drag the PDF to your desktop, what filename does it show up with? Specifically, does it have a .pdf extension? Also, does this only happen with PDF documents created via ScanSnap?

It's looking Good. Almost Perfect. One Major Issue still exists! The High DPI scaling issue found on 4k Screens. Disabling the High DPI Settings in the Properties menu has almost fixed the issue, however certain components are still too small or on top of one another 

Saw the post about the new beta update for Mac and all the new features including "Code Block". Checked out the windows thread hoping to also find a beta with the new features and found it!

Now, where in the world is the new "Code Block" feature that is part of the Mac's beta version???

I don't know if this happened running 5.9.2.8975 or 5.9.3.9118 (which I was told to use by cs and did for the last week), but I just noticed that my local notebook is now being synced and there is no way to create a new local notebook.  I'm chatting with cs right now, but check your local notebooks against the web. All my private notes were both on the web and android devices. 

Also, switching between two accounts (two paid accounts but I don't know if that makes a difference) leads to chaos - the left panel shows the shortcuts for the relevant account but shows the notebooks for both accounts, and the right panel also shows the notes for both accounts.

Whatever you do, DO NOT test 5.9.3.9118 unless you've got a small test account you don't care about.

I've reverted to the last public release which still has the option to create a local notebook.

• Level 5*

If you drag the PDF to your desktop, what filename does it show up with? Specifically, does it have a .pdf extension? Also, does this only happen with PDF documents created via ScanSnap?

I can no longer replicate this; it must have been something off that day. The same PDFs that were regularly giving me problems are fine now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

New problem: The color picker doesn't allow for two custom colors. It always swaps out the first color with the second, and if you select the second box, it turns your color to white. Consider this my request for a post 1998 color picker  :lol:

6cf17f2c27a252897f3991cc2f6572bc.gif

Can anyone let me know if the problems with Tables are fixed, see ==>> https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/84319-tables-just-dont-work/

I do not want to install any more Evernote betas, previous experience has resulted in loss of data, these days I don't have the time or the inclination to set up VM's etc. 

If the problems with Tables aren't fixed then I'm going to convert to OneNote.  I've devised a way with ON 2010/2013 to overcome its lack of tags via its note linking facilities.

• Level 5

New problem: The color picker doesn't allow for two custom colors. It always swaps out the first color with the second, and if you select the second box, it turns your color to white. Consider this my request for a post 1998 color picker  :lol:

The dialog is a little fiddly to use, but it seems to do the right thing for me. I first click in an empty box to select where I want the custom color to go, then I select the color using the crosshairs, then I set the luminosity using the arrow on the side. I was able to define a few different custom colors by using that method. I agree that it looks like it's from Windows 95, but it's actually the "standard" control provided by the operating system.  :)

Just wanted to provide some feedback on the testing that I've done so far (v. 5.9.3.9118).

Improvements
  1. Removal of line space before bulleted or numbered list - this is huge!
  2. The ability to resize pictures directly in Evernote - also huge. 
  3. The ability to resize tables.
Feature Requests
  • Ability to link to other notes
  • Ability to set formatting styles for title text, body text, etc.
  • Ability to un-indent bulleted lists
  • Ability to change bullet character (i.e., to a + sign)
  • Ability to align pictures horizontally of various heights
  • Additional formatting options for tables - i.e., border visibility, border line color, cell fill color, row height adjustment

Keep up the good work - you've made some great changes!!

Just wanted to provide some feedback on the testing that I've done so far (v. 5.9.3.9118).

Improvements
  1. Removal of line space before bulleted or numbered list - this is huge!
  2. The ability to resize pictures directly in Evernote - also huge. 
  3. The ability to resize tables.
Feature Requests
  • Ability to link to other notes
  • Ability to set formatting styles for title text, body text, etc.
  • Ability to un-indent bulleted lists
  • Ability to change bullet character (i.e., to a + sign)
  • Ability to align pictures horizontally of various heights
  • Additional formatting options for tables - i.e., border visibility, border line color, cell fill color, row height adjustment

Keep up the good work - you've made some great changes!!

Ability to link to other notes

This is available for a long time I believe. Just right mouse click on the note you want to link to, and from the drop down menu choose "Copy Note Link", once you do that, go back to your note and you can just paste that hyper link that will take you to the note you wanted. Or alternatively if you have a name of the note already written you can select and use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+K to add the hyperlink to the note you want. This also works for webpage hyperlinks as well.

The other options I would like to see as well.

Sync error bug with Evernote Windows prerelease 5.9.4.9271

I have already created Ticket# 1302734 for this issue, but I am posting here in case others have experienced the same.

As soon as I installed prerelease 5.9.4.9271 on Windows 7 64 bit, the red sync error icon appeared on the sync button on the Evernote Windows toolbar.  Edit to clarify: despite the red sync error icon, notes appear to sync normally, I can't find any notes that aren't syncing.

This sync error bug only appears with prerelease 5.9.4.9271 and does not appear with production the stable production build 5.9.1.8742. My steps to reproduce:
  • Snyc error appears after installing prerelease 5.9.4.9271 (no sync error before)
  • Uninstall prerelease 5.9.4.9271
  • Reboot
  • Install prerelease 5.9.4.9271
  • Sync error returns
  • Uninstall prerelease 5.9.4.9271
  • Reboot
  • Install production build 5.9.1.8742
  • Reboot
  • Sync is normal, no sync error icon
  • Uninstall production build 5.9.1.8742
  • Reboot
  • Install prerelease 5.9.4.9271
  • Sync error returns
It is possible that it is some kind of corruption in my data that causes the sync error to only appear for me, but the fact that the sync error only appears with prerelease 5.9.4.9271 and disappears with production build 5.9.1.8742 confirms that it certainly something within prerelease 5.9.4.9271 that is causing the error.
  • Level 5*

I had the same issue, got some help from EN.

Hold the Ctrl key and click on the sync icon.  The note(s) not syncing should appear.  In my case it turned out to be two duplicate notes that were  created without a notebook.  I was scanning some documents and moving to target notebooks when somehow two of the notes got duplicated, not by me.  Anyway, I was able to add a temporary note, merge it with the problematic note, and then delete the resultant note thereby eliminating the unwanted duplicate. 

Any news for a better touch control and/or finger and pen recognition?

PS: I'm a Surface Pro user and I'd like to use the desktop version instead of the Touch version.

I have a full Windows OS, and I want to use the full Evernote desktop version, not the Touch one!

There seems to be issues with syncing tags. sometimes new tags do not sync across devices or to the web. The workaround is to rename the tag then sync then rename it back and sync again. this seems to correct the issue, but it's a real pain to have to wonder if a tag synced or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Reminders are great! However, notifications for reminders only show up quickly on the desktop, but if you miss them and don't click on the pop-up within seconds they are gone and forgotten.

Could there be a permanent notification area, maybe an indication on the tray icon and/or in the application's activity icon?

Archived