Web Version Disaster

Glennie

Idea

For two days running Evernote has failed to sync for me.

The result .... a lot of wasted time and some very embarrassing moments in front of large numbers of university students.

Can you imagine opening your class notes for the day and seeing ...absolutely nothing!

I reported it and got some standardised reply requesting info about what I am using etc.

But I really don't have time for that and, in any case, the mere fact that this has happened means that I won't be trusting Evernote for this purpose again even if the current problem is solvable.

Also not happy about other bugs that I have mentioned not being fixed and not seeming to be a priority. 

I could have lived with that though. However syncing is the absolute bottom line. Without that, for me at least, there is nothing. 

So it's back to good old "if you can't acquire it, destroy it, total world domination will be ours!" Google...in this case Drive.   :(

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

The result .... a lot of wasted time and some very embarrassing moments in front of large numbers of university students.

Can you imagine opening your class notes for the day and seeing ...absolutely nothing!

I reported it and got some standardised reply requesting info about what I am using etc.

But I really don't have time for that and, in any case, the mere fact that this has happened means that I won't be trusting Evernote for this purpose again even if the current problem is solvable.

Also not happy about other bugs that I have mentioned not being fixed and not seeming to be a priority. 

I could have lived with that though. However syncing is the absolute bottom line. Without that, for me at least, there is nothing. 

So it's back to good old "if you can't acquire it, destroy it, total world domination will be ours!" Google...in this case Drive.   :(

hi. sorry to hear about the trouble. as a university professor myself, i won't go in front of a class or give a presentation without everything downloaded and a backup device on hand just in case. nowadays, i teach with the ipad and have the macbook in my bag (with its annoying adapter) just in case. even steve jobs and apple ran into problems with major presentations when they relied on the internet, so i figure we'rre bound to experience similar problems if we try that.

yep, sync ought to work, but it doesn't (google, apple, and others have downtime), so i prefer to have redundancy just in case.

Many thanks for that reply.

When I got back to the office after class I turned on the PC that I have next to my Chromebook.

I was able to see how the "same" Evernote page was entirely different from the other! My Chromebook Evernote page contained all the work I had done that day prior to class; my PC only showed me what I had done the previous day.  The fact that there is only one inch between the two was a graphic visualisation of what had gone drastically wrong with syncing!

The thinkg is that this has actually been going on for a couple of days. More than a glitch, maybe.

I don't mind going back to Drive really. It is easier in so many ways. My move to Evernote was in a sense political...an attempt to give some space to the one of the littler fish in the ocean, Google being the Great White Shark. :)

Your precautions sound very sensible!

• Level 5*

Many thanks for that reply.

When I got back to the office after class I turned on the PC that I have next to my Chromebook.

I was able to see how the "same" Evernote page was entirely different from the other! My Chromebook Evernote page contained all the work I had done that day prior to class; my PC only showed me what I had done the previous day.  The fact that there is only one inch between the two was a graphic visualisation of what had gone drastically wrong with syncing!

The thinkg is that this has actually been going on for a couple of days. More than a glitch, maybe.

I don't mind going back to Drive really. It is easier in so many ways. My move to Evernote was in a sense political...an attempt to give some space to the one of the littler fish in the ocean, Google being the Great White Shark. :)

Your precautions sound very sensible!

There's no reason you can't use both :)

In my case, when I used to teach with Evernote, I had the version on my desktop and offline notebooks on my iPad. I mainly use the iPad in classes, but had the computer on hand in case something went wrong.

Google is kind of amazing these days for educators, though it isn't perfect. My university uses it and somehow there is a problem with sharing by students and faculty -- we have to give permissions all of the time for shared files. It's a minor annoyance that I think we will eventually get worked out (student and faculty accounts seem to use different servers or something), but the point is that all of these tools (Evernote included) aren't quite to the point of "just working" yet. We have to do a little bit of thinking and preparation on our own ahead of time, just in case. 

That's weird.

I thought creating a sendable link to a doc in Drive was a way around that problem of permissions. Supposed to be.

I see what you mean about back-up.

But copying content from Evernote to Drive every time I plan a class sounds like a deal of work...which does not make you wrong, by the way.

In any case, with nothing syncing in Evernote, it sort of ruled itself out as one half of the classroom "just in case" pack.

If it ain't on the screen of the classroom, it ain't on the screen. It's Drive or nothing. 

The only way to use Evernote would be to connect my chromebook to the overhead projector. As that is where I do/did my original Evernote classroom preparation, the syncing problem would not exist. However, the problems I have connecting to projectors...well is another story.

We will meet again here. Thanks for the input.  :)

Hey Glennie, 

Let me know if CS has helped resolved your issue or not. If not I can help expedite, however, since this is not a problem all of our users are hitting we do need investigation on what is going on in your particular setup. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

- Nancy 

Archived