Save original URL when clipping a web page

xandrani

Idea

Hi

As far as I know the original URL is not saved when clipping a web page.

I'd like this functionality because sometimes I find an old Evernote note and I don't know the original URL of the article. I like to be able to share a link with people. I know I can share a note, but sharing a web page feels better to me.

5 replies to this idea

Hi

I'd like this functionality because sometimes I find an old Evernote note and I don't know the original URL of the article. I like to be able to share a link with people. I know I can share a note, but sharing a web page feels better to me.

If you use our web clipper browser plug-in the original URL is saved and you'll see the URL in our toolbar.  Just to be clear, the URL does not get saved in the note itself but is part of the note data and is displayed on the right side of the toolbar.  If you click on it, you will be taken back to the original page.  

Hi

If you use our web clipper browser plug-in the original URL is saved and you'll see the URL in our toolbar.  Just to be clear, the URL does not get saved in the note itself but is part of the note data and is displayed on the right side of the toolbar.  If you click on it, you will be taken back to the original page.  

It used to display in the toolbar, but it no longer does. At least it doesn't in the Mac client on any of my Macs.

It works like that in Evernote's web version. It had been deleted from the web version, but was brought back after several users requested it.

Why was this function deleted from the Mac client? I have to open the info pane every time I need the original URL. Do that several times per day and you start thinking there must be something better than Evernote, especially since this function used to be present and very easy to use.

@gazumped: Yes, but there was no column or option for a column to display the URL.

But your message caused me to explore the different view options and eventually find the solution. I looked at all five list options (Card view, Expanded Card view, etc.) in the Mac client, hoping one would display the URL. None did. The panel that provides those options also includes Sorting options. One of the sort options is to sort by the Source URL. I selected it, and the URL appeared in the toolbar, just like it used to. Even after I selected a different sort option, the URL continued to appear.

I'm assuming that when an update put the Source URL back into the toolbar, it didn't automatically display in the Mac client -- at least, not for some of us. Sorting by the URL gives the client the kick in the pants it needs to display the info.

Weird, but it's working.

Archived