Change width of table after insert?

I often use tables for smaller notes where I don't want to have an excel sheet embedded in the note, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the size of a table if i turns out I need it bigger (width), after having created it?

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*

Agree with the need to change table width percentage after table creation. Sometimes you just don't need a two column table to span the screen. Easy enough to add rows thank you.

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*

Is this enhancement still on the "to do" list? I cannot figure out how to adjust the width with version 4.3.1.4479 for Windows, so assuming it hasn't made the cut yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having a similar issue -- I made a two-column table to compare/contrast two lists, but the left column is significantly wider than the right. It automatically resized itself this way, and I can't alter it. Both columns have just about the same amount of text, so I'm really not sure why it decided to size itself this way...

• 3 weeks later...

A work around I've found, at least for changing the width of the table is to export the table as HTML, then go into the HTML file and change the table width to the desired percentage, like:

<table border="1" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

Then open up the HTML file in a browser, select all, copy, and paste back into Evernote. 

However, it'd be much nicer if you could right click and go into Table Properties to adjust widths like other WYSIWYG's. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The ability to change the height and width of a table now appears to be functional in the web browser (I use Firefox) .  Most of the time I use EverNote on a Mac. The table width cannot be manipulated in the Mac application.  However, if I login in to EverNote with my browser, when you click in the table, at the corners will appear grabbers.  Grab a corner and resize your table.  Done!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Is there eventually any target implementation date, ~4 years after the request?

Just asking as this is the sole roadblock preventing me from using Evernote and making me stay on AllMyNotes Organizer.

Capturing notes under tables (action follow-up, project status, pros/cons recap, weekly log...) is indeed one of the best way for efficient real-time note-taking and/or re-processing after meetings or events.

That's why I just cannot consider using a note-taking tool not having a smooth & flexible table management... And I'm pretty sure I mustn't be the only one on earth ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Still...... I would have been using Evernote for two years now if i could make the tables fixed width on the mac application. I come back every semester hoping it will be added but it never is so i cant really organize my notes right. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While I agree that this feature should be in Evernote, there is a way around this. I use Chrome, but the trick should work in Firefox and probably IE since they too have "developer" tools. My steps are Chrome focused, so YMMV.

1) Create a table if it doesn't already exist. Let's assume you have a table with 3 columns.

2) Click into one of the columns, then right click and select "Inspect Element"

3) You will see the HTML for the table. Relax, it's just text and we're not doing anything complex.

3) In the <tr> section you will see <td>. By default Evernote adds a few attributes like rowspan, colspan and valign. Double click valign to make Chrome allow you to edit the value.

4) Keep valign there, but use your keyboard arrows to move the cursor to the other side of the last double quote (").

5) Type the following: width="30%" into each of the first <td> takes using the process from Step 4. This will make your <td> look like the so <td rowspan="1" colspan="1" valign="top" width="30%">.

6) Enjoy your balanced table.

The same trick works for other sized tables. If you had 2 columns, width="50%". Please note that if you are looking at the tables on your phone (at least on my Android) or your tablet, the formatting might not be even. Tables will attempt to size themselves as best they can to the screen. If one cell has long, unbreakable text in it, the phone or tablet might have to compress one column to make room. On my iPad the columns spaced properly once I expanded the view of the note to full screen.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears that this workaround is local to your browser and not saved back to Evernote.  So Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc have the ability to let a developer tweak the elements in a web page while the browser renders it... but it doesn't affect the page stored on the server.

This workaround is similar to copying a table out of Evernote and pasting it into MS Word for viewing.

See, that's weird. I closed all my Chrome instances down, went back in and still had everything in 3rds if I'm in full screen. If I change the size of the browser to anything else, the 3rds disappear. Given my guess of Evernote styling on the page, I think they would have to make the note display panel scrollable. I don't think they will do that. So, sadly, yea, only a partial work around at best. Sorry.

+1 for the ability to do this in the app itself

See, that's weird. I closed all my Chrome instances down, went back in and still had everything in 3rds if I'm in full screen. If I change the size of the browser to anything else, the 3rds disappear. Given my guess of Evernote styling on the page, I think they would have to make the note display panel scrollable. I don't think they will do that. So, sadly, yea, only a partial work around at best. Sorry.

I got it to work using Chrome and it held up in the Mac app (although in Chrome I couldn't then change the alignment of the text in the table). Thanks for the work around though! Very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've made it to April 2014 and this feature is still not part of the application.  It will soon be old enough to vote for itself and buy it's own beer. 

Hey, Evernote team, this is pretty basic functionality that needs to be added to the product.  Any chance we get this this decade?

• 5 weeks later...

While I agree that this feature should be in Evernote, there is a way around this. I use Chrome, but the trick should work in Firefox and probably IE since they too have "developer" tools. My steps are Chrome focused, so YMMV.

1) Create a table if it doesn't already exist. Let's assume you have a table with 3 columns.

2) Click into one of the columns, then right click and select "Inspect Element"

3) You will see the HTML for the table. Relax, it's just text and we're not doing anything complex.

3) In the <tr> section you will see <td>. By default Evernote adds a few attributes like rowspan, colspan and valign. Double click valign to make Chrome allow you to edit the value.

4) Keep valign there, but use your keyboard arrows to move the cursor to the other side of the last double quote (").

5) Type the following: width="30%" into each of the first <td> takes using the process from Step 4. This will make your <td> look like the so <td rowspan="1" colspan="1" valign="top" width="30%">.

6) Enjoy your balanced table.

The same trick works for other sized tables. If you had 2 columns, width="50%". Please note that if you are looking at the tables on your phone (at least on my Android) or your tablet, the formatting might not be even. Tables will attempt to size themselves as best they can to the screen. If one cell has long, unbreakable text in it, the phone or tablet might have to compress one column to make room. On my iPad the columns spaced properly once I expanded the view of the note to full screen.

Awesome!   This worked great for me in both Firefox and Chrome.   Now I can resize tables easily.   After following your instructions and changing a table width in a browser, just hitting the enter key saves the new width back to Evernote's servers.    Then refreshing in my Evernote app running on my PC on the other monitor immediately shows the change.    Now tables are going to be a lot more useful to me!   Another post said that table widths could be changed in the browser by dragging corners.   I was able to get that to work but it's kind of flakey.    Basically, I had to change focus to another note, then click on the real note with the table in the snippets bar to bring it into focus but without clicking anywhere in the real note.    Then double-clicking directly in a table cell brings up the little grabbers at the corners of the table for resizing.    I prefer the direct html manipulation because it seems easier, more powerful and more reliable.   Thank you so much!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I thought I would share a Note Template with even column spacing.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s136/sh/2e08ee9b-d440-4ecd-9302-baf6735f13d4/cd18095461b8690d8499c765f3aaeced

Just cut and paste the table size you want into your note.

Saves you messing around with chrome developer tools.

Also found this bookmarklet that will allow you to get to the source and edit it quickly.

http://seb.so/html-source-editor-for-evernote-web-a-bookmarklet/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 - This is one of my pet peeves with Evernote

Side note for the curious: Changing the value in the HTML using Chrome's dev tools worked. I'm assuming changing the value there is a modification that the AJAX detects and uploads the change to the main servers. After in the app (Mac version) I re-sync'ed and the change was present.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I updated the desktop version of Evernote for Mac to Version 5.6.0 (450741 Direct). In the news for Evernote it says:

"With our new table editor you’ll be able to do all the things you expect from a table: delete a row or column, change the color, and drag to resize cells."

However, when I try to make my table wider it doesn't work. I tried it on a brand new empty table (using pointer and contextual menu) and I'm a Premium user. I have 15+ years experience with the Mac and not blind. I tackled this issue on several different days. BTW I'm running Mountain Lion.

Anybody else in the same situation?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where?  I'm on a Mac, running 6.0.  This feautre isn't in the table properties.  You cannot drag the table to be wider.  The table is forced to fit in the visible screen, which is not a good strategy because if the screen/window is small enough the text will wrap into single characters and the images will be so small you cannot see them.  I've tried creating new tables too.  The table is created ok and I can put content into the cells.  But if I insert a new row or column the table is forced to fit the screen and screws up my table, with no way to fix it.  This has messed up some very important notes.  The tables are completely unusable in their current state.  I put in a ticket but haven't heard anything yet.

Here is an Apple Script that will open the selected note HTML on the desktop application into a pop-up window to allow you to edit the HTML.  I was able to remove the style variable on the table that is making the table width 100%, which means, fit to page.

tell application "Evernote"

set theNotes to selection
    set currentNote to item 1 of theNotes

set noteTitle to display dialog "Edit HTML of \"" & title of currentNote & "\"" default answer "" & HTML content of currentNote

try
        set HTML content of currentNote to text returned of noteTitle
    end try

end tell

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

We released a public beta of this feature already. It will be present in Evernote for Mac 5.6+ 

Who cares about Mac?

How about web, windows, and mobile versions?

Evernote and lots of its customers care about Mac. They also care about  web, Windows and mobile versions.

We're working on improving the editing experience significantly in Windows. Keep your eyes peeled!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This feature is supported in Evernote for Mac 5.6+

Q: Where exactly? A: About a half inch to the left of where it should be, i.e. in the middle of the cell to the left of the column border. smh

I'm using Evernote 6.0.9 and I can't find this.. tried looking where the note above suggested and still don't see anything. I have a 3 column table that used to be 2 columns. The first column is 50% the width and the 2nd two columns are each 25% after I inserted the 3rd column.. I need to resize them.

Edit: as an aside, the solution in note 22: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/8882-change-width-of-table-after-insert/?p=267329still works, but you have to edit the width of each cell in the first row, and possibly subsequent rows, since they all have an explicit width set now, in the inspector.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

@Jacko,

Not quite so quick on the enjoy.  With the new beta

1. the formatting of existing tables gets hosed, as in wrapping in the middle of words,
  2. fixed column width tables that were created with the stuffing x's in the columns workaround no longer work
  3. breaking the table when you delete a character in any cell in the table (example here - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/85667-new-evernote-for-windows-589-beta)./?p=365084)

So yes, you can change the column width, but other things happen that one may or may not like.

• 8 months later...

Archived