Clear recent search history - security issue

Deryn

Idea

Evernote urgently needs a way to clear recent search history.  I see that people have been asking for this for years, and yet it's still not an option.

Where is it even stored?  I can't find it in any file, or in the registry.  I tried uninstalling Evernote to clear it, and my recent searches came right back after I reinstalled.

While trying to find out if this is currently possible, I came across one person who accidentally entered a password in his search history, and another who entered her SSN in the search box to find a PDF, where it is now stuck for anyone to find.  Evernote has a serious security problem if its users can't control their own sensitive data.

10 replies to this idea

Aha!  It's in your C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\Local\Evernote folder somewhere.  This folder persists, even when you uninstall Evernote.

This is what I did to clear my search history:

1) Sync Evernote.
2) Uninstall Evernote.

3) Move the C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\Local\Evernote folder to your Desktop.  (Don't delete it until you're sure all your notes are re-synced.)
4) Reinstall Evernote.  Notes, saved searches, tags, etc., will re-sync but search history will be completely clear.

There's bound to be an easier way, one that doesn't involve re-syncing your entire set of notes and having to re-tweak the appearance of your Evernote, but I'm not savvy enough to know which file within C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\Local\Evernote contains the search history.  If we could find that one file and delete it without disaster, that might be an acceptable workaround until Evernote finally just allows us to delete individual search terms.

• Level 5

I haven't run into this problem with the search field, but if I did, I would do something easier than a full uninstall / reinstall.

The recent search field only contains 5 recent searches.
By typing a dummy search 5 times, all of the recent searches are overwritten with the dummy searches.
On 9/23/2015 at 2:24 AM, Deryn said:

Evernote urgently needs a way to clear recent search history.  I see that people have been asking for this for years, and yet it's still not an option.

Where is it even stored?  I can't find it in any file, or in the registry.  I tried uninstalling Evernote to clear it, and my recent searches came right back after I reinstalled.

I've encountered the same issue. Does any simple solution exist?

AGREED! This is a HUGE issue. How is it possible that this has not been fixed? A google search shows years of forum posts requesting this.

The only way to replace the items in the "recent searches" list is to replace them with new dummy searches. An unbelievably lame solution to a huge security problem.

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 3.59.20 PM.png

• Level 5*

I'm not seeing how this is a huge security problem.  Seems to me the bigger security risk is leaving EN open and available for others to access.  Can you further explain?

I agree,especially with the latest changes (2017) there has to be a simplified way to eliminate a search history.  It appears to be available in many everyday software packages, why not expect the same with Evernote?  Tried moving it to shortcuts then eliminating it from shortcut pkg.   Didn't have the results I had hoped for.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Govind Krishnan said:

As of now, there is clear local search history option in settings.

Really? In the Evernote for Windows application? Where in Settings? I can't find it.

• Level 5*
On 12/29/2018 at 8:00 AM, Govind Krishnan said:

I found it on Android app. Settings > Search and Storage > Clear Local Search History.

And I very well hope it's there for Windows too

Unfortunately it's not actually in the Windows application.

Archived