Can't Uninstall or Update Evernote

I'm having trouble updating Evernote in Windows 7.

I have version 5.0.2.1392 (269392). If I try to upgrade (to version 5.9.1), the installer gives me the following error:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path toa  folder containing the installation package "Evernote.msi" in the box below."

I have verified the location of the msi file (it's in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp.

If I hit OK, I get the following:

"The file... is not a valid installation package for Evernote v. 5.0.2. Try to find the installation package "Evernote.msi" in a folder from which you can install Evernote v. 5.0.2."

It seems like it's trying to find the original installation package for version 5.0.2, but I don't know how to get that.

The tough part is that I get the same exact error if I try to uninstall Evernote using both the Control Panel, and the Revo Uninstaller.

Any thoughts?

• Level 5*

Hi.  That version of Evernote is over a couple of years old.  There seems to be a copy of the installer here - http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/16094/ which - if you download and reinstall it - may allow you to refresh/ repair your setup and then update or uninstall normally.  Make sure you backup your database folder before you do so!

Someone (@Knight) posted this too -

Quick fix:

Try install Evernote, get fail message, close installer.

Go to: C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp

Run: Evernote.msi

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-%E2%9C%94-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/page-16

Hi.  That version of Evernote is over a couple of years old.  There seems to be a copy of the installer here - http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/16094/ which - if you download and reinstall it - may allow you to refresh/ repair your setup and then update or uninstall normally.  Make sure you backup your database folder before you do so!

Someone (@Knight) posted this too -

Quick fix:

Try install Evernote, get fail message, close installer.

Go to: C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp

Run: Evernote.msi

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-%E2%9C%94-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/page-16

Thanks for the link to the old version of the installer. I downloaded and ran the old installer, then ran the new installer, and that fixed my problem.

I had tried the Quick Fix previously to no avail.

What probably happened is that some "cleaner" tool deleted the msi from \Windows\Installer. If that happens, a package can't be uninstalled - that cached msi has the uninstall directions. Which means you also can't upgrade - because that means uninstalling the old version.

There are only 2 options in that case.

- Reinstall that exact version (and run repair) - that's what you did

- Major registry surgery to make Windows Installer "forget" the package is installed. **Danger Will Robinson DANGER**

And 3: DO NOT USE CLEANUP TOOLS THAT DELETE THOSE MSIs!

• 1 year later...

I have evernote v 6.4.2.3788 installed on my pc and want to uninstall it & then again install the latest version . I have tried the above methods and these are not working.

i have missed evernote.msi file . Another file is evernote.msi v6.5.4 is there and it also installs a new Evernote on my windows 8 . Can anybody help me in this regard?

If i try downlaoding the same old version and run it. it says this is already installed uninstall the previous version and then try to install. and if i try to uninstall it doesnt works as there is no evernote.msi file for that specifi version.

Thanks

Archived