Revert is closing down

jbenson2

• Level 5
If you used the free version of Revert to back up your Evernote data, you will probably receive an email that says Revert is shutting down.

What to do if you don't have the premium plan?

"Download your entire backup history to your Dropbox and leave Revert. The ‘bulk download’ is a Pro Plan feature but we have now enabled it on your account for free, until we turn off Revert."

They suggest you sign up with ThisData.com, but...

"When you move over you will experience a 30 day free trial of ThisData and at the end you will be prompted to upgrade to the Personal Plan. This works out to be $19/month if paid annually, or $23/month to pay as you go."

The 4 backup annual plans are:

Personal $19/month = $228/year

Team $99/month = $1,188/year

Business $349/month = $4,188/year

Business Plus $699/month = $8,388/year

My opinion: Ouch!

edit: "We’re giving you a special coupon that is good for a 50% discount off the monthly or annual plans, for your first year on ThisData." 

• Level 5*

Thanks for the headsup.

Darn.  Back to the more regular local backups I guess;  partly my fault for staying a free user of a useful service - theirs for not having a more robust monetisation scheme,  and/ or not bugging freeloaders like me enough!

Sorry to see you go,  Revert - it was a good service (AFAIK)...  :(

• Level 5*

Probably you should check Backupery for Evernote - it is application that automatically backups Evernote notes to your hard drive, so you don't depend on any third-party clouds. It is pretty easy to use and lightweight:http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

Thanks for sharing.

However, since the backup is actually an export to ENEX files, a true restore is not possible.

You can import the ENEX files to create new Notes (new GUID) with the same content.

One issue with ENEX export/import that everyone should be aware of is that you will lose information in this process:

1. All Note Links to any of the Notes in the ENEX are broken, lost, and will have to be recreated.
  2. The ENEX files do not contain any Notebook data.
  3. When you Import the ENEX file, the Note Created Date is lost, and set to the current date/time.
  4. To preserve Tags in the ENEX files, you must check the checkbox to include Tags during both the export and import process
  5. Tag hierarchy is not preserved.  If you had one, it will need to be recreated after the import process
  6. If the ENEX files came from Sync'd Notebooks,
    1. the Sync'd NB will have to be recreated, and the import of the ENEX Notes moved into the appropriate NB.
    2. Moving these Notes into Sync'd NBs will go against your monthly upload allowance

REF:  How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

• Level 5*

For a Windows computer,  a simple copy of the Databases folder should be enough of a backup.  Backupery seems to be exporting my existing database to a single ENEX file (I have more than one notebook) without actually exiting my current Evernote session - so there could be unsynced changes to existing notes.  Not (as far as I can see) a good idea...

• Evernote Expert

Probably you should check Backupery for Evernote - it is application that automatically backups Evernote notes to your hard drive, so you don't depend on any third-party clouds. It is pretty easy to use and lightweight:http://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

Thanks for sharing.

However, since the backup is actually an export to ENEX files, a true restore is not possible.

You can import the ENEX files to create new Notes (new GUID) with the same content.

One issue with ENEX export/import that everyone should be aware of is that you will lose information in this process:

1. All Note Links to any of the Notes in the ENEX are broken, lost, and will have to be recreated.
  2. The ENEX files do not contain any Notebook data.
  3. When you Import the ENEX file, the Note Created Date is lost, and set to the current date/time.
  4. To preserve Tags in the ENEX files, you must check the checkbox to include Tags during both the export and import process
  5. Tag hierarchy is not preserved.  If you had one, it will need to be recreated after the import process
  6. If the ENEX files came from Sync'd Notebooks,
    1. the Sync'd NB will have to be recreated, and the import of the ENEX Notes moved into the appropriate NB.
    2. Moving these Notes into Sync'd NBs will go against your monthly upload allowance

REF:  How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

Oh... My God..  :huh: Then, I suggest Evernote should scrap this and say, we don't allow export or import of data.. If so much of infomration is being lost.. wats the point of re-creating your external information organization in Evernote?  :(

Thankfully, though, I never use this method.. Been copying the database and backing up from the local directory.. Seems to be working fine so far..  :rolleyes:

• Level 5*

As long as you're aware of the caveats,  ENEX export is a valid backup / transfer / archive option;  and the other issues are simple to overcome - keep a screengrab of your notebook structure if it's that complicated,  same with Tags - which shouldn't be over-complicated anyway otherwise you're more at risk from data pollution by your own errors and omissions than from a restore.  I always put relevant dates in my note titles anyway.  The only major hassle is the new GUID which breaks all links (and shares) if you have them.  But anything is better than full data loss,  so it seems like a reasonable option.

I'm not sure how much of a problem doing an export without fully exiting Evernote might be,  but it seems like a really good idea to do so - but us Windows users have the option of just copying the Databases folder,  which is a snapshot of the account(s) you own at the date and time of the backup.  That's the way I do it anyway as part of my system backups,  and occasionally if I'm playing around I'll copy the folder to the desktop for insurance.

And I haven't had any emails from Revert either,  apart from an activity summary....  ^_^

• Level 5
Here is the email I received. (I removed my email address and the 50% off code)

Merged into this note is a LinkedIn screen capture of the person who sent the email.

I also included an interesting recruiting tweet from the CEO at ThisData in August.

• Level 5

Wasn't doubting my letter is in the mail :) but it's interesting that this wasn't a general circular to all users.  Time (I guess) will tell....

Yes, it is interesting that I received the email, but 3 days later others have not.

I might have received the email because I was in contact with Revert customer service in July. 

• Level 5*

I guess they don't want everyone hitting their systems at the same time and so are staging it.

Not surprising really that an unlimited free service isn't a good business model....

not only that, but as evernote users know, when you try to charge for something that was once free, people get hopping mad, so it is tough to dig yourself out of that startup business model and turn a profit. planet money had a nice episode about this phenomenon.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/07/13/156723516/episode-386-the-cost-of-free-doughnuts

i wonder if all of this isn't just the same old story we have seen in retail with dumping, loss leaders, and so forth used in early days to gain market share. in that case, they are not necessarily viable over the long term, so if a business is relying a lot on them, you might want to be careful -- you are likely going to have to pack up and move your data at some point.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Yes, Revert is closing down on 31st October 2015. However, it is not because there is no need for our backup/restore service, in fact far from it! It is because the need for more than just backup/restore was what was coming through loud and clear from our customers, and potential customers. Rather than continue to build out Revert, a product with a name that no longer represented where we were heading, we have re-branded the product as ThisData: https://ThisData.com

We have moved all of our Revert Pro Plan customers over to our new product at ThisData. Our Revert Free Plan users have all been emailed and offered a coupon which will give them 50% off the personal plan on ThisData. On top of backup and restore, there are many added benefits to moving to ThisData such as: access to more (and ongoing) app integrations, better data security monitoring, and improved search for backups, to mention a few.

If you are a Revert user and have not received an email from us, please let me know. We have done three email outs now (since Sept 23rd) so you should have received something.

**If you are using Revert / now ThisData to backup your Evernote app only, and you don't need backup for the other apps we support, I have a special coupon that I can send you to make it an even sweeter deal than the 50% off code that is in the emails we have been sending. Send an email to support from your Revert account and we'll sort you out.**

We will also still be in the Evernote App Center, just under our new name.

Best!

Nicole Fougere

Cofounder ThisData.com 

Archived