Broken Images anyone?

Hey guys, this has happened occasionally, but sometimes copied and pasted images (jpg, png, gif) are gone with complete ramdomness. Sometimes out of x images on a note, some go and some stay, and the gone leave this icon behind:

X3QXBN8C.jpeg

Any idea how to prevent this? This has happened since in many versions of Evernote Premium, I'm on 5.9.1. Thanks for the help!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Well,  if you're premium,  raise your support request now.  (Link in my sig below). 

More info too please - your OS (Windows ?) and client  (desktop / web) - and where these pictures are from - web clips,  your local storage,  email.

If you get a note with this icon,  are the pictures visible on another device / on the web?  Do they ever come back?

Hi.  Well,  if you're premium,  raise your support request now.  (Link in my sig below). 

More info too please - your OS (Windows ?) and client  (desktop / web) - and where these pictures are from - web clips,  your local storage,  email.

If you get a note with this icon,  are the pictures visible on another device / on the web?  Do they ever come back?

Hey! Im using windows 10 but htis happened since windows 7, on Evernote Desktop (i don't use the Web version). I'm sure this has happened with local files and Google Images, that were Copied and Pasted into a note. This doesn't happen with all of them though, I can't seem to grasp a constant in this problem. Perhaps i should add them using the Attach File button on the Note Menu instead of copy pasting? =S

They have crashed on my phone too, despite being in an Offline Notebook. Will try getting Support for the first time hehe. 

Im not so sure but I kind of recall deep in my subconscious that one time they actually cameback somehow.

Edit: sometimes, only some of the images of a Note crash, despite being added at the same day, in the same way, with the same format. Kind of weird =S

• Level 5*

I'd get Support to have a look - there are too many variables there to guess at a possible cause.  I've noticed icons in place of images sometimes too - but they've seemed to be cases where a big picture has taken a while to download,  or a web page didn't allow its images to be copied.  If Support come up with the answer,  please let us know!

I'd get Support to have a look - there are too many variables there to guess at a possible cause.  I've noticed icons in place of images sometimes too - but they've seemed to be cases where a big picture has taken a while to download,  or a web page didn't allow its images to be copied.  If Support come up with the answer,  please let us know!

Sure, I'll tell in here how it went!

• 2 months later...

Did you ever resolve this serious issue with broken images? Today for the first time ever I got the exact same problem! It would be most interesting to know what the exact cause of this is, and most of all what the solution is - if a solution exists at all. This is a total dealbreaker for using evernote and will definately drop it unless it is solved ASAP! And yes it is a concrete problem on ALL platforms and the images are missing on the web interface as well. 4 out of the ten images in my note are missing/being displayed as ugly broken images, all originally included exactly the same way and in the exact same format (I am pre-formatting them in Gimp/photoshop so they look good). Please note that they all existed and looked fine yesterday! This is unacceptable!

Sync is and has always been working. And I who was actually considering to upgrade to evernote premium, well that will definately NOT be happing now! Shame on you evernote!

Support ticket created, no reply yet.

UPDATE: several hours later and still no reply. I cannot work now and not having access to my hard work from yesterday is forcing me to redo it. Evernote is wasting my valuable time! Suffice to say this a total dealbreaker! I was a fool to trust evernote functionality! Giving it a last chance to get sorted during the day before moving to Google Docs/Google Keep, which is perhaps not as fancy but atleast it works! For more alternatives see http://beebom.com/2015/02/best-evernote-alternatives

One more thing, what's the deal with only being able to do 5 forum posts?

I've got the exact same thing - and I've just imported all of my Onenote into Everynote thinking my days of Sync errors, obscure error messages - version problems were all behind me - Yes, I’ve had frustrating problems BUT over the years I have never lost any data (That I know to!) but now very valuable (only to me) bits of my family history has disappeared - It looks like I've wasted a year’s subscription (Taken out the day before I found this problem) - which I know is nothing to the value of my old family photos and research notes that have gone missing.

I am living in hope that Everynote's support team come back a solution - I can't find one on the forum pages!

Doc

Update - As I search through my new Evernote note - I've found that some text & images are completely missing - I assume that the Onenote import failed to import without reporting an error.

UPDATE: several hours later and still no reply. I cannot work now and not having access to my hard work from yesterday is forcing me to redo it. Evernote is wasting my valuable time! Suffice to say this a total dealbreaker! I was a fool to trust evernote functionality! Giving it a last chance to get sorted during the day before moving to Google Docs/Google Keep, which is perhaps not as fancy but atleast it works! For more alternatives see http://beebom.com/2015/02/best-evernote-alternatives

One more thing, what's the deal with only being able to do 5 forum posts?

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Unfortunately, I never found the solution to this problem, mainly because I stopped looking for it. The "bug" only happened twice, the second time being the cause of the first post of this topic. I hope someone eventually finds a way to prevent this. Good luck!

It's been well over a day now and still nothing. The problem is NOT resolved, and no reply what-so-ever from support. Especially the latter is extremely dissapointing and a real dealbreaker! Even a small message "We are looking into this serious issue and will resolve it ASAP, thank you for your patience" would make a huge difference!

It turns out the issue is even worse than I originally detected, it was in MULTIPLE NOTES that valuable images - with alot of work behind, well over 16 hours - are missing. 4/9 in one evernote and 9/16 in another. For they record, they are missing on ALL devices AND the web interface. Furthermore, all of them used to be 100% OK when originally added AND EVEN AFTER many successful syncs! I am totally flabbergasted to exactly why they suddenly dissapeared and will not reappear. Perhaps a supertedious workaround to help you manually repair this issue in the future would be to take manual backup of every text and every image - and sync it through Dropbox or Google Drive - before putting the content into evernote. However that of course TOTALLY  defeats the purpose of "a convenient and efficient tool".

@doctorkeo I am really sorry to hear about your evernote-issues as well. That is even more serious when it is family history involved. :( I truly hope it works out somehow, In my case I can atleast redo the work, albeit timeconsuming and tedious. Family photos is another story.

Summary: I've wasted way too much time and energy on this issue already. The broken functionality and silence from support is a total dealbreaker. Going back to basic files and Dropbox which has worked fine over 10 years - and best of all I never had to even think about it, it just did its job so I could do mine. For the record Evernote did not even last 3 years and have been a real nasty timestealer and cause of severe headache at the end. Bye bye nevernote! <uninstall> <delete> <peace>

I have been contacted by the Evernote support team – twice now. You are correct I am devastated about the lost family history information – I’m going through old backups of OneNote – I can believe what an ass I am in believing that Evernote was a safe portal for my data. My day today will be more searching for anything, anywhere.

I’ve been using Evernote for a few months on a very low key usage, without any problems  – Then because of the changes with OneNote (Why, is beyond me!) and numerous sync errors – Version conflicts (Even the same version!) – Obscure error messages, I made the jump to Evernote.

I’ve just tried to preserve any data that is up on Evernote before that disappears too. I exported all of my notes to a mht file– that failed to export the images in the good notes – What is the best file format to export.

I have been contacted by the Evernote support team – twice now. You are correct I am devastated about the lost family history information – I’m going through old backups of OneNote – I can believe what an ass I am in believing that Evernote was a safe portal for my data. My day today will be more searching for anything, anywhere.

I’ve been using Evernote for a few months on a very low key usage, without any problems  – Then because of the changes with OneNote (Why, is beyond me!) and numerous sync errors – Version conflicts (Even the same version!) – Obscure error messages, I made the jump to Evernote.

I’ve just tried to preserve any data that is up on Evernote before that disappears too. I exported all of my notes to a mht file– that failed to export the images in the good notes – What is the best file format to export.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I make weekly backups, or after important changes. I export all notes in an .enex files, but you are right, not a single file should be missed, you can't trust Evernote that way.

• 2 months later...

Hi, fellows,

Had the same issue (Windows 10). Came across it many times in the past. Have posted a ticket to evernote support.

Thinking about migrating to some other note taking program. This is a deal braker.

PS: it seems that solution to this problem is a manual sync immediately after creation of the note. But i am not sure.

2016-02-14 15-22-01 threshold voltage adjust formula - Evernote.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem as well.. half the images from my note just vanished. It's completely vital to know that you can trust Evernote to use it for your information so this is really bad and makes me reluctant to keep using it.

I posted a support ticket. The support team said it is a critical issue, developers are aware of it and working on it.

However, the problem is that I cannot reproduce the error. My understanding is that the developers can't reproduce the error either.

So, if someone can reproduce it, it would be of great use and a way to fix the bug.

Same problem here, POSSIBLE SOLUTION.  Been using Evernote for years without this problem.  I became Premium recently, so I'm guessing that the client is a POS.

So far, this has only happened to one of my notes.

I have just found that if I import an earlier revision of a note with broken images, it contains all the images to that point.  Interestingly, it's this EXACT image set that's the broken links in the current note revision.  All the other (newer) images in my final revision of my note are there.  The history import doesn't appear to fix the original note, but I can combine them to make one good note, with zero overlap in good source images between the notes.

This seems like it's related to note history.  That the client is too effing stupid to realize that old images are still a part of the new revision of the note(s).

Hopefully this will act as a clue to Evernote.  If they can simply sync back the image history, then they can probably fix the dead links.

In effect, I believe Evernote is archiving the embedded images associated with prior revisions, regardless of if the embedded images are also included as part of the current revision.

For what it's worth, I'm on Evernote 5.1.0.2217 on Windows 7 Professional (x64).

P.S. I write software as part of my day job.  They can hire me away from my current employer if they need someone thorough on their staff.  The clients are full of usability problems that need a professional to address.

• Level 5*
On 08/03/2016 at 10:38 AM, sergey_mipt said:

I posted a support ticket. The support team said it is a critical issue, developers are aware of it and working on it.

However, the problem is that I cannot reproduce the error. My understanding is that the developers can't reproduce the error either.

So, if someone can reproduce it, it would be of great use and a way to fix the bug.

If you have the problem,  please raise a bug report - if the developers can't reproduce the error,  they can't fix it.  What we need,  it appears,  are live examples...

hace 10 minutos, gazumped dijo:

If you have the problem,  please raise a bug report - if the developers can't reproduce the error,  they can't fix it.  What we need,  it appears,  are live examples...

This happened to some gifs of mine a long time ago. A note with about 40 gifs of low quality. Suddenly, 5 of them that were consecutive were suddenly gone, leaving this symbol of doom behind. The symbols remained there for like 6 months, until I got tired and erased those symbols just like if they were letters, using the delete key.

Do you mean that if this happens again, we should leave the broken images as evidence, and immediately raise a bug report? I will just do that, but I'm not sure if that is what you think we should do. Greets!

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, dantinap said:

leave the broken images as evidence, and immediately raise a bug report

Yup.  That would be the ideal - looks like @Shey found leaving the notes alone is a good tactic anyway...  But seriously:  the more bug reports,  the more Evernote realise this is urgent,  and the more clues they have as to how it happens!  :)

@chucker

As I know, the problem is that when one copies a picture into a note being in the evernote client, the program copies path to the image, not the factual image. The image is uploaded to the server later. So, if something happens to the image between "copying" and uploading to the server, the image may become corrupted.

This is Evernote' approach to copying images, which, imho, is fundamentally flaw. I asked the developers' team to pay attention to this.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem.  I was reviewing my Evernote notes this morning and my screenshot prints I pasted into Evernote on March 10, 2016 are now broken and just have a placeholder with the word "graphic". So disappointing since it took a lot of my time to select and paste multiple screenshots.  I can't replicate what I did.   I logged in online thinking my clips would show in the web version but they are broken there too.  I double clicked on them in the web version hoping they would open but now the placeholders are gone as well in both the web and my local version.  I don't know why the placeholders would disappear.   I have lost all confidence in using Evernote to capture pasted images which I do  a lot of.   I'm a premium user.

This happened to me as well.  I used copied several images from a chemistry textbook into Evernote, and now a week later, dozens of them are missing.

I went onto google chrome to see if the images were missing in the online version of Evernote, and they were. 

But get this, I left the online Evernote page open, and read through this forum (took about 5 minutes).  When I looked back at my Evernote page, ALL OF THE MISSING IMAGES HAD BEEN RECOVERED.  I don't know what happened, but this makes me think that it is an internet syncing issue.

I had around 20 photos in a row that were missing.  The photos before the broken photos were fine, and the photos that were after the broken photos were fine.  There were no images within the broken images that were not broken.  This makes me think the broken images were posted during a single time period.    

I believe that the images which were broken were the ones that I posted while I did not have access to the internet (there was a period of about 30 minutes when I was copying images to Evernote in a car, i.e. without internet access).  

Evernote team, you need to find out how to make images that are posted during times without internet access not appear as broken images.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Yes, think some response to this should be provided by evernote, Should simply copying be avoided if you want to store the pictures for a longer time?

Pictures are very important both for work and for family etc so I feel this should be a priority to let users know what is what.

• Level 5*
On 20/03/2017 at 4:03 PM, kall1231231 said:

Yes, think some response to this should be provided by evernote, Should simply copying be avoided if you want to store the pictures for a longer time?

Pictures are very important both for work and for family etc so I feel this should be a priority to let users know what is what.

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported forum,  and while Evernote Developers do read the content they very rarely comment here on specific issues.  

If pictures are important to you I assume you take sensible precautions like system backups and use specific photographic sites such as Flickr,  Google and Nikon, plus many others to save copies.

Evernote keeps backup copies of notes in Note History so apparently 'missing' attachments may be findable there, or may be visible on the website even when not shown on the local installed client.

If you have specific issue it's always best to raise a support ticket if you#re a paying subscriber,  or report the issue to Evernote via Twitter @EvernoteHelps

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Dogmal said:

Please let me know if anyone got solution.

If you're using Windows desktop,  hold Ctrl and click Help for the extended menu.  Look for a listing: "Fix Lost Resources".  Click that (Don't click anything else!) when you have some free time - it will take some while to process through your database and verify all the attachments.  It'll fix anything fixable,  and you'll get a list of all notes with resources that it can't connect to.

Not a fix exactly,  but it may help...

• 6 months later...

This random image broken behavior seems to exist until today(Evernote 6.13). My best bet to avoid such problem is to manually confirm whether the image content is actually embedded into the enote(=Evernote clip). How to? Check the "Save As..." context menu item.

Detail below.

If we copy a block of content from a web page(including some image) into note area, and right click the just "paste-in" image, the right-click context menu will contain a menu item of "Zoom". At this time, we don't know whether this image has been embedded into our enote.

everpic-20180622_100259_438.thumb.png.3025be9efea16d12deef9eff5ea72495.png

To confirm, we have to close that enote and reopen it, and we expect to see the context menu contains Save As..., then we can be sure the image has been embedded. 

everpic-20180622_100440_589.png.36d53da3c692f56d8986a850d4ee8744.png

Odd behavior summary: Assuming you're using Windows, when you copy some content from a webpage, from Chrome etc, Windows places a piece of data in system clipboard with type "HTML Format"(I'd like to call it CF_HTML), then, pasting that CF_HTML into an enote will hopefully have Evernote embeded(=store) the image into you enote. But, if you are unlucky, Evernote will only store a link to the external image, and this can be your nightmare -- because, the image appears to be in your enote at first glance, but in case some day the original website containing you picture shuts down, you thoroughly loose that picture. 

Then what should we do when we see an image always says "Zoom"(no matter what reason)? Well, there is a guarantee way to truely embed an image. Copy the image(only that image) to to clipboard(result in CF_BITMAP clipboard format, instead of CF_HTML) , and then paste it into Evernote -- in this case, you expect to see "Save As" immediately .

BTW: If you are interested in knowing what clipboard format Windows is currently holding, you can run a free program called Free Clipboard Viewer and verify what I have said.

It is quite a pity that Evernote client program does not present a visually clear way to tell us whether a picture/image has been embedded into the enote as a so-called resource.

So be careful, manually check the "Save As" menu item to ensure you really take hold of your pictures/images.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jimm Chen said:

So be careful, check the "Save As" menu item to ensure you really take hold of your pictures/images.

If you want to make sure that you copy an entire web page,  AFAIK the only sure way is to use "screenshot" to get a snapshot.  If,  on opening a note you clipped earlier,  you notice that an image is missing,  it's pretty easy to use the note URL link to check the original page (subject to device,  web connection etc...) and re-clip if necessary.

A small number of web pages actively prevent images being copied,  others show images which are actually links back to 'parent' pages which hold the originals,  and still others (Hi Wikipedia) use specialized image formats to display formulae or diagrams - I don;t think it's technically possible for Evernote to guarantee a full web page copy every time. 

Mostly it works;  where it doesn't,  you have to look at alternatives like printing the page to PDF (or another usable format) using a web page feature if it's available,  the browser 'print' option,  or another web based 'page to pdf' / 'print long pages' service as necessary.

Archived