The Evernote Editor

PeeJayTee

Idea

Hey everyone, 

This is P.J. from the Product Team at Evernote.

I wanted to take a moment to tell you about a project that we've been working on for quite a while. Though to date, we have introduced a relatively small number of new features to the editor,  we've laid a foundation that will allow us to significantly improve note editing in Evernote. 

Years of writing the editors of our clients independently of one another has taken a toll on the the consistency and quality of Evernote’s editing experience. We recognize this and we’re fully committed to making it better. We’ve created a dedicated team focused on improving the note editor and we’re hoping you notice the difference. In the coming weeks and months, you’ll start to see the fruits of this labor appear in all of the things you do to create notes in Evernote—typing, bullets and lists, tables, images, copy and pasting are just a few of the things we’ll be working on to start. Bigger improvements will follow. For more on the thinking behind this project, check out this blog post.

We can’t promise to get everything right the first time, but we can promise to listen to your feedback and work tirelessly to make every version of Evernote’s editor better than the last. If you have feedback on the editor, we’re here to listen. Feel free to comment on this thread or DM me.

Thanks! 

26 replies to this idea

Hi there, first time posting to the forum, though been using EN as a power use for my life and work for years now. 

My suggestion today is re the editing capabilities. I think OneNote has certain features that take my note taking to a whole new level -- it lets me make dynamic markups that allows for second level thinking.

What do I mean: I take notes on ON but because there are freely droppable text boxes on the page, that allows me to markup my notes with things like "Definition", "Main Point", a flag which means I have to follow up or an exclamation for something I didn't know before. Because these text boxes and graphics are freely movable, I can review the document after my meeting and quickly mark it up for review

That lets me look at the whole printed page and immediate draw out the 1-2 points that are key 

I hate ON but i LOVE the editing. Would love to see it on EN sooner than later. Thank you

• Level 5*

@PeeJayTee:  Since you're building a common editor to be deployed to all platforms, I'm sure you don't want to propagate any bugs.

It has been over a year since this serious bug was reported:

BUG REPORT:  Using CMD+ to Increase Font Size Changes All Text to Same Size

EN Mac 6.4 on Yosemite (10.10.5)

First Reported:  Dec 17, 2014,  Ver 6.0.4 Beta 2

CMD- has the same issue, changing all text.

Expected Behavior:

• Applying the selected text "Bigger" or "Smaller" by using either the menu or shortcut keys should change the text relative to the size of each piece of text
  • So, for example, if some text (in the selection) has 14pt and other has 16pt, then increasing the font size will result in 15pt and 17pt respectively.

This is how EN Mac behaved prior to Ver 6.0.4 Beta 2, and how all other Mac apps behave.

• Level 5*

@PeeJayTee, please take a look at this:

How to Paste Formatted Code into Evernote 

Since this shows that proper handling of code snippets can technically be done in Evernote, and apparently it is not that hard, please give serious consideration to providing this as a built-in feature for at least EN Mac and EN Win.

You might also take a look at this thread, started in 2011 with 110 replies:
REQUEST: Embed Code Snippets with Auto-Formatting and Syntax Highlighting 

Thanks.

As others:  I'm excited to see the editor, and consistency of the editor getting attention.  As someone who works on 4 different platforms  (Mac at home, Windows for work, Android tablet, iPhone....)  I'm excited to see some consistency coming!  It's been frustrating to try to do something on one platform, only to realize, "Wait, I need to be on the ____ to make that work..."  So nice job!  YAY!  

One of the features that USED to be in Evernote that I sorely miss is the, "Paste and remove tables" command.  That feature helped a TON in removing annoying formatting (from the web and other sources) to make text (especially recipes) easier to work with and more readable.  I'd love to see that option return to Evernote's editor.  

The single editing feature that would help me most in my daily work is a fully functioning outlining capability with nesting/hiding and the ability to drag bullets within an outline.   OneNote has a limited capability in this regard.  The best implementations are in the Circus Ponies Notebook app and in the OmniGroups OmniOutliner app.

Thanks!   

Probably best to stop calling it markdown...

Why?

Because true markdown allows the user to view the formatting and let's the user move text from one application to another preserving the markdown tags (portable). 

This implementation is really just alternative keyboard shortcuts to enable formatting, so instead of typing cmd+i italics cmd+i, I can type *italics*. I can't see the tags that I have applied, I can't edit them and I certainly can't take the text to another Markdown editor and update it.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less about Markdown, I think it's a piece of techie niche functionality that the vast majority of users won't ever use. But if you are going to say you are going to do something then you should do it properly or else you'll get the feedback you deserve.

That's where I figured you were going, but I wasn't sure. 

• Level 5*

Probably best to stop calling it markdown...

Why?

Because true markdown allows the user to view the formatting and let's the user move text from one application to another preserving the markdown tags (portable). 

This implementation is really just alternative keyboard shortcuts to enable formatting, so instead of typing cmd+i italics cmd+i, I can type *italics*. I can't see the tags that I have applied, I can't edit them and I certainly can't take the text to another Markdown editor and update it.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less about Markdown, I think it's a piece of techie niche functionality that the vast majority of users won't ever use. But if you are going to say you are going to do something then you should do it properly or else you'll get the feedback you deserve.

Can you please introduce the distraction-free typing experience to Mac desktop please? I appreciate full screen view of a single note but the margins are just too small for me.

Cool you decided back to the where Evernote comes from to many users. Although I do not have time and nerves to participate in the beta programme, I look forward to new versions of the editor.

Each note can be opened in a separate window that can then be resized.

See if that will work for you.  I've done that when I need to focus on one note.

• Evernote Expert

This is really good news.. Atlast some love..  :)

For too long, I have been complaiing that each version of EN update was only talking about bug fixes and bug fixes.. i hope that they bugs were ironed out to make the new editor much more awesome..

However, I am unable to find the Windows Editor Download package.. even in the Beta section.. It still hasnt been ready/? 

Is this a new release of the editor?

I thought the Mac client got a whole new editor as part of v6 - maybe I'm wrong?

You're right - the Mac was the first client to get the new editor.  We've recently deployed it to Windows, which is the first time the editor has been shared between two clients.

Hi guys, Evernote is a great life tool for me and this focus back to the editing are is a really nice shift.

One thing I miss is the capability to write anywhere in the note like I can in OneNote. I mean without constrains, not like we have invisible lines. This would be great for cross-platform, mind mapping and freely take notes with a pen on an ipad/android tablet.

Hope you consider this as well. 

Cheers!

• Level 5*

Wow, hard to believe I am reading this at this forum. "I am not using this feature so people who do, please, go away to another product".

Sure, feel free to write what you want, but remember that saying others to go away (in whatever tone) is simply rude.

Sorry, I did not intend to be rude.

I did NOT say to "go away", so please don't try to put words in my mouth.

I do think it is acceptable for us to disagree on what changes we would like to see in Evernote.

I just do not want the EN Mac UI to be destroyed like the EN Web UI was with the new "distraction free" UI.

If you will read carefully, you will notice that I first suggested an approach that would allow all of us to customize the UI to our liking.  How is this being rude?

At one time, the EN Win version would allow the user to toggle on/off the display of each of the various panels (Left Sidebar, Note List, etc).  This type of approach would allow each user to have as much, or as little, information other than the Note contents as they desire.

Please don't destroy the EN Mac UI by trying to make it "distraction free".

Can you please introduce the distraction-free typing experience to Mac desktop please? I appreciate full screen view of a single note but the margins are just too small for me.

I'm not sure what "distraction-free typing experience" means, but whatever it is I would not want Evernote to do this at the expense of full usability.  In fact, many of us have complained that we would like to have a higher density of information on the screen.

At one time, the EN Win version would allow the user to toggle on/off the display of each of the various panels (Left Sidebar, Note List, etc).  This type of approach would allow each user to have as much, or as little, information other than the Note contents as they desire.

I would further add that Evernote has just gone to extensive lengths completely redesigning the EN Web client to make it more free of distractions.  Perhaps those who really need that type of UI could use the EN Web Client.

Frankly, I don't get the whole "distraction" issue.  When I am writing I have no trouble focusing only on the Note contents panel, ignoring not only the other parts of Evernote, but all of the other stuff on my two monitors, and all of the other stuff going on around me.

Wow, hard to believe I am reading this at this forum. "I am not using this feature so people who do, please, go away to another product".

Sure, feel free to write what you want, but remember that saying others to go away (in whatever tone) is simply rude.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure what "distraction-free typing experience" means, but whatever it is I would not want Evernote to do this at the expense of full usability.  In fact, many of us have complained that we would like to have a higher density of information on the screen.

I would further add that Evernote has just gone to extensive lengths completely redesigning the EN Web client to make it more free of distractions.  Perhaps those who really need that type of UI could use the EN Web Client.

Frankly, I don't get the whole "distraction" issue.  When I am writing I have no trouble focusing only on the Note contents panel, ignoring not only the other parts of Evernote, but all of the other stuff on my two monitors, and all of the other stuff going on around me.

Cool you decided back to the where Evernote comes from to many users. Although I do not have time and nerves to participate in the beta programme, I look forward to new versions of the editor.

@JMichael - thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement.  We are definitely aware of the copy and paste issues, and we're going to be taking steps to improve them in the coming weeks.  We're also working on lists (numbered and bulleted) and tables, as both of those need some love as well.

• Level 5*

P.J., I just wanted to add one more thing.

So often we are told by other users in this forum that Evernote does not share their roadmap.

Clearly this is a case where you are doing just that, and I want you to know how terrific, how helpful, that is to us users.

When we have some idea of where you are going, knowing full well that the plan may change, it really helps us tolerate the bumps during the construction process.

So many, many thanks for sharing your efforts and plans with us.  It really means a lot.  

• Level 5*

This is great news P.J.!   :ph34r:

This is an area of Evernote that many of us though had been left behind because it wasn't "new and cool", and so many issues/requests have remained unanswered.

I for one very much look forward to seeing the fruits of your lengthy labor.

If you have not already done this, may I request that you do a thorough review of the many posts in these forums that concern the Evernote editor.

One area in particular that is a major part of my workflow, and I think many others, is the ability to copy and paste between Evernote and other apps, in both directions.  Specifically, this needs to work really well with the various office products, like MS Office and Apple iWorks.  Evernote is often used as a PIM, or repository of information, that is collected from various sources, and then put into other sources.

As I'm sure you know, copy/paste of tables between Evernote and other apps has long been an issue, both in EN Mac and EN Win.

Please take a look at my post to @SoftwareMarcus in June about some standard tests that you might perform before making a release:

EN: Testing Table Copy/Paste

Many thanks for recognizing the importance and value of having a solid editor that works across Evernote platforms.

Archived